at low speed maneuvers front wheel not stable...

Guest robson

Just noticed that today evening it was dark so I have no option to check the front tyre well

but is it possible such behavior because of low air pressure for instance? or flat tyre maybe, but doesn't look flat to me.

At higher speeds it was almost OK but at low speed maneuvers front was kinda "swimming"  not nice anyway... 

what do you think?

I would definitely say it was a lack of tyre pressure,easy to check no excuses!

Safety First.

you probably right, I should not been ridden when I have noticed that setting off from the garage but I was in a hurry...

p.s.

that's bring another question, if this is flat tyre is it good idea to fix it or buy a new one?

Edited by robson

Should check your tyre pressure frequently, something you should keep an eye on...

Chances are it'll be tyre pressure, could also be squaring, or possibly even bearings on their way out. 

at 2600 miles already???

Unlikely, but still possible. Depends on all sorts... How worn out the bearing machine was, and how well made they were (as well as the quality of the materials used). Also, if you've done a lot of bumpy roads etc you're liable to wear them fast, especially during the wear in period. It's not likely to be the case, but it's possible.

If your tyres are squared off, and there is surface water, that could also be the cause. Had it before when I bought a bike, didn't really know the condition of the tyres other than being told that they were legal... Turns out the front tyre was flat as anything I've seen, and it was slipping slightly on puddles...

Tyre pressure is most likely by far.

just checked the air pressure - front 30psi, rear 40psi   and should be 36 and 42.

Could that difference matter?   (tyre doesn't look square to me)

Edited by robson
Derek_Mac

If you blow the tyre up to its recommended pressure and that cures the perceived problem you've got your answer.

just checked the air pressure - front 30psi, rear 40psi   and should be 36 and 42.

definitely and get yourself a good air gauge the garage gauges can be out by 20% i run my tryes a 38 & 44 respectively as i am a lump

• Like 1

If it only happened the once then it was something you were riding on.  Road service, Diesel, leaves, petrol, oil , damp patch.   If it doesn't do it again , Forget it>

If it does it everytime in different places,  get it checked????

definitely and get yourself a good air gauge the garage gauges can be out by 20% i run my tryes a 38 & 44 respectively as i am a lump

thanks, so the tyre will take that much more safely?  I am heavy as well :)

im no tech but i have never had any probs with a couple of extra psi in each  :thumbsup:

Hot or cold?

30 cold front is working just fine for me. 33-34 cold for the rear. On mine the front becomes unstable under 28 front and the rear starts sliding at around 26. 

Hot or cold?

30 cold front is working just fine for me. 33-34 cold for the rear. On mine the front becomes unstable under 28 front and the rear starts sliding at around 26. 

was not very cold like 6 or 8 Celsius.   Will check later today how it goes now with added pressure.

I guess it can be different with different tyre type and rider weight as well.

Edited by robson

good luck let us know how you get on once youre been out on it for a while

OK, just returned form a ride. I can say it's better but still I have that funny feeling when turning at very low speed and leaning the bike slightly

that the steering bar turns by itself faster the it used to be. Not sure if you know what I mean. Let's say I want take right turn so I lean a little bit, turn the handlebar

which I feel like it's turning right faster then it should.   Unless it's a illusion after I have cleaned forks with WD40 because they're dirty.  

The tyres looks good to me as far as I can tell..

Edited by robson

was not very cold like 6 or 8 Celsius.   

I meant did you check after riding or before it? Once the bike moves the tires start gaining heat with each revolution and the pressure raises. So if you want to check the pressure on cold tires you have to check it at least 3 hours after the last ride.

I meant did you check after riding or before it? Once the bike moves the tires start gaining heat with each revolution and the pressure raises. So if you want to check the pressure on cold tires you have to check it at least 3 hours after the last ride.

well my pressure was low so either case would be not good would it? :)

p.s.

but i have checked first thing in the morning still in the garage.

well my pressure was low so either case would be not good would it? :)

Nope, as the tyres warm up the pressure goes up, so if you set the pressure on warm tyres, a few hours later they will be a few psi lower. All my car tyres were down 2 psi the other day due to colder autumn temps.  The front turning in more than normal is a sign of the pressure being to low though.

p.s.

but i have checked first thing in the morning still in the garage.

perfect.

Nope, as the tyres warm up the pressure goes up, so if you set the pressure on warm tyres, a few hours later they will be a few psi lower. 

nope, nominal pressure is recommended for "cold" or stationary conditions,  so when taken pressure is too low it always a sign that is too low - especially when tyres are warm.

It's just simple logic.

just realized that maybe because I added air to proper level I have that "new feeling" which is probably a good one this time :)

like it's supposed to be,

You're right, inflating the tyres more typically increases the curvature all over, but most notably at the central point on the tyre, meaning when you're stationary there is less tyre against the road surface, making it much easier to turn.

With regards to tyre inflation, they typically test tyres to somewhere around 1.8x the recommended inflation, so if you're worried about going 10% over, don't be. More weight requires higher PSI as of course when you sit on the bike you compress the tyre and it "flattens" at the peak, meaning more surface contact between tyre and road, thus quicker wear & tear as well as reduced control.

Hope your problems are solved anyway, you should definitely leave a tyre pressure gauge in your toolkit and check it weekly... Better safe and all that.

Guest Arthritic Toe

I find this bike particularly sensitive to tyre pressures - I try and keep them right on the 36/42 and can feel it when they are 2 psi out.

Derek_Mac

nope, nominal pressure is recommended for "cold" or stationary conditions,  so when taken pressure is too low it always a sign that is too low - especially when tyres are warm.

It's just simple logic.

Mmm, when gases heat up they expand.

If they are enclosed when they expand then pressure must go up in the container that they are enclosed in.

I've always taken this to mean that if you measure a tyres pressure when it is hot (after use) then the pressure will read higher than if the tyre was cold.

Doesn't this mean that if you measure the tyre pressure when the tyres are warm you could get what appears to be a correct pressure, yet when the tyre cools down the pressure will be low?