at low speed maneuvers front wheel not stable...

Guest robson

I find this bike particularly sensitive to tyre pressures - I try and keep them right on the 36/42 and can feel it when they are 2 psi out.

That's exactly what's recommended by Honda ... and it is way too much. With both the Trialmax-es and Metzelers the bike was very unstable in the corners if this recommendation has been followed. However following the 10/20 rule I found that the bike is much stable in the corners, has very good straight line stability and the tire wear patter shows that the tires are neither overheating nor underheated during weekend rides or on the track. 

Mmm, when gases heat up they expand.

If they are enclosed when they expand then pressure must go up in the container that they are enclosed in.

I've always taken this to mean that if you measure a tyres pressure when it is hot (after use) then the pressure will read higher than if the tyre was cold.

Doesn't this mean that if you measure the tyre pressure when the tyres are warm you could get what appears to be a correct pressure, yet when the tyre cools down the pressure will be low?

You're correct but I think what Robson was trying to say was that it wouldn't have mattered if his tyres were warm when he measured the pressure because they came out way too low - so hot or cold the pressure was too low.

Of course if he'd then tried to set the pressure with warm tyres when he came back later they'd have lost a few psi as they cooled down.

He'd still have been better off inflating warm tyres to the correct pressure though, they'd still have been slightly under inflated but not as bad as before. Given the tolerances involved he could also have just put a couple of psi extra in and then checked them when they cooled down.

nope, nominal pressure is recommended for "cold" or stationary conditions,  so when taken pressure is too low it always a sign that is too low - especially when tyres are warm.

It's just simple logic.

I think we are saying exactly the same thing :)

I think we are saying exactly the same thing :)

looks like :)

Anyway, I think it's all good after adding air to the specification values.

Been riding all day and I guess is back to normal.

Rev Ken

That's exactly what's recommended by Honda ... and it is way too much. With both the Trialmax-es and Metzelers the bike was very unstable in the corners if this recommendation has been followed. However following the 10/20 rule I found that the bike is much stable in the corners, has very good straight line stability and the tire wear patter shows that the tires are neither overheating nor underheated during weekend rides or on the track.

If using standard road tyres, keep to recommended pressures. If you were involved in an accident with 'seriously under inflated' tyres it could invalidate your insurance. Unless of course the tyre manufacture agrees with you. Track use is very different!

That's exactly what's recommended by Honda ... and it is way too much. With both the Trialmax-es and Metzelers the bike was very unstable in the corners if this recommendation has been followed. 

nonsense, I follow the recommendation and bike is stable as rock. It's not too much, it's right on.

Guest Shadowfan

Dear Robson

I think I know what your problem is and the solution. Firstly, am I right in saying the problem is when you have to make a slowish tight turn it feels like the handlebars are trying to fall into the corner which is disconcerting. I know this feeling from early riding of my NC750D. If this is the case try the following which I found very useful and greatly improved my confidence in riding this heavy bike.

Find a bit of flat tarmac such as a shopping mall car park before the crowds arrive so you can do a few slow tightish turns (not too tight to start with and not too slow say 8 to 10mph). Starting with say a right turn lean the bike gently into the turn and then more your body to the left so you feel weight on your left buttock and keep the turn going for a while. You will find the bike loses it's tendency to turn into the corner and feels much more stable. Another refinement is to lean your body forwards as well as to the left. 

Repeat these turns many times and when you've got the feel of things including the extra stability and ability to lift out of the turn at will try doing a left turn.

To summarise  IF RIGHT TURN LEAN BODY TO THE LEFT

IF LEFT      "          "          "       "     "     RIGHT.

Give it a go and let us know if things improve. Oh yes, keep those tyre pressures at 36/42psi front/rear - it makes for good steering and the bike is easier to push around.

Good luck

ScaredyCat

I picked up a nice Race X analog tire pressure gauge from those rain forrest people -  cost 12 squids but it's accurate.

Dear Robson

I think I know what your problem is and the solution. Firstly, am I right in saying the problem is when you have to make a slowish tight turn it feels like the handlebars are trying to fall into the corner which is disconcerting. I know this feeling from early riding of my NC750D. If this is the case try the following which I found very useful and greatly improved my confidence in riding this heavy bike.

Find a bit of flat tarmac such as a shopping mall car park before the crowds arrive so you can do a few slow tightish turns (not too tight to start with and not too slow say 8 to 10mph). Starting with say a right turn lean the bike gently into the turn and then more your body to the left so you feel weight on your left buttock and keep the turn going for a while. You will find the bike loses it's tendency to turn into the corner and feels much more stable. Another refinement is to lean your body forwards as well as to the left. 

Repeat these turns many times and when you've got the feel of things including the extra stability and ability to lift out of the turn at will try doing a left turn.

To summarise  IF RIGHT TURN LEAN BODY TO THE LEFT

IF LEFT      "          "          "       "     "     RIGHT.

Give it a go and let us know if things improve. Oh yes, keep those tyre pressures at 36/42psi front/rear - it makes for good steering and the bike is easier to push around.

Good luck

thanks Dave for tips, yes you're right about body position, when I do as you described it's better.

Guest EasyTiger

It's a pity you aren't in the UK, Robson, as i2imca.com could show you another technique for slow manoeuvres that keeps any bike upright throughout, with or without a pillion.

Some riders find this easier and more confidence inspiring as you can put either foot down if necessary, and the bike is not already tipped. 

(It's the one with a set throttle, and control of the speed with the rear brake - also used by police riders.)

It's a pity you aren't in the UK, Robson, as i2imca.com could show you another technique for slow manoeuvres that keeps any bike upright throughout, with or without a pillion.

Some riders find this easier and more confidence inspiring as you can put either foot down if necessary, and the bike is not already tipped. 

(It's the one with a set throttle, and control of the speed with the rear brake - also used by police riders.)

that's nice but I don't have problems with low speed and even very low speed maneuvers as I'm doing it all the time offroad (almost everyday)

I do have problems though with very high speed maneuvers and was thinking about this school next year:

http://www.britishsuperbikeschool.co.uk/452.html

So out of interest, what tyre pressures have you ended up at using the 10/20 rule?

(I haven't tried it for myself yet as it seems to have rained almost every day since I bought the bike.)

Tibs

1.9 front, 1.8 rear (BAR). Everyday ride at 2.1 front, 2.3 rear as in the rain the tires won't heat anyway ...

glencoeman

I think that you should set the tyre pressures at the recommended setting advised by Honda. If you have the unfortunate luck of being involved in an accident, you insurer might not be willing to pay out a full claim. Yes, surprisingly, some insurers do check the bike over after an accident before paying out on a claim.

Rev Ken

I think that you should set the tyre pressures at the recommended setting advised by Honda. If you have the unfortunate luck of being involved in an accident, you insurer might not be willing to pay out a full claim. Yes, surprisingly, some insurers do check the bike over after an accident before paying out on a claim.

+1 (Believe it or not, bike manufacturers and tyre companies do talk to each other and their recommended pressures cover a wide range of conditions. It is only when on the track that I would tamper with them.)

• Like 1

Recommended doesn't mean mandatory. The tire supplier has the best knowledge about the right pressure. 

Anyway - I can't comment British laws. I'm just sharing my experience about the right tire pressure.

Drive safe :)