Torque Settings Engine Mounting Bolts

Guest surreyhills1

Guest surreyhills1

I need to remove two engine mounting bolts,one each side of my bike to fit my Hepco & Becker engine guards.

Can anyone advise me on the torque settings when reassembling the bolts.

Edited by surreyhills1
Guest Stephen S

Beware of overtightening. If it's a steel bolt into an aluminium engine body, there's a risk of damaging the softer aluminium threads. 

The head of the existing bolt will have a white splodge. if the paint is also on the casing, use that as a guide. Undo and retighten with the torque wrench until paint lines up again, noting the amount of pressure required.  Use the same amount of pressure when inserting new bolt. 

If you apply any grease or copperslip to the thread to aid assembly or future un-assembly, this will affect the torque applied.

Guest scrumpymike

If you apply any grease or copperslip to the thread to aid assembly or future un-assembly, this will affect the torque applied.

You're dead right there - you need to know whether the value specified is wet or dry; I believe all factory assembly is done dry apart from thread-locked bolts, which count as wet. The other variable is temperature - values are based on an ambient of around 20 deg C. BTW, I might be wrong but 60Nm sounds on the high side. When I fitted my Givi bars, I used the correct value per the NC workshop manual. Don't have time to look it up this evening but will check tomorrow morning.

Mike 54NM from the manual 

I always thought that wet or dry meant you either attempted it with or without a cup of tea