first gear sometimes clunks in hard

Guest robson

I often, but not always, get this clunk and I can't associate it with ambient temperatures either. Dunno why some times and not others.

Guest bonekicker

Min's the same sometimes very noisy sometimes quiet, I put mine in first gear most times before starting engine(when warm) (and holding clutch in) then no clunk. :ermm:

dazznutts

Depending on how much play you have on the lever via the round adjuster can affect the clunk

My DCT also clunks at times, reminding me of agricultural machinery like Harleys & BMWs.

glencoeman

Check the rear chain tension as a chain that's too slack will give those symptoms.

Guest chickenflaps

from stationary and neutral my 700X always makes a clunk into first.  sounds awful and I cant believe it's good for the gearbox.  that said, never had an issue.  As bonekicker says, starting it from cold in gear with clutch in saves the first clonk of the day.

I often, but not always, get this clunk and I can't associate it with ambient temperatures either. Dunno why some times and not others.

Same here....

Have the same with the 750X,not normally from a cold start, but when warm, either going from neutral into first when starting off from stationary in traffic, or from a warm start when out and about. I was wondering about clutch adjustment too, but may well try the starting in first with the clutch held in.

Perfectly normal,every bike I've owned has been the same. I have never ridden a bike that didnt "clunk"in to first to some degree or another.

Edited by scara
  • Like 4

It's a bike with a wet clutch. That causes a bit of drag/sticktion, when you first engage gear, especially from cold. The more slack you have in the chain the more it'll clunk. If the cable isn't adjusted properly then that might cause a bit more drag and make the clunk more pronounced - together with a slight lurch. It's normal enough - just make sure you have the right amount of free play in the cable to be sure you're fully disengaging.

Starting it in gear with the clutch pulled in won't do too much harm - but you're putting a bit more load on the starter than necessary. I have an old habit of starting in neutral with the clutch disengaged whenever I drive a manual because that puts slightly less strain on starter & battery and is probably a good idea in cold weather.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're experiencing clutch drag (bike pulling forward even after you've started & engaged gear is a symptom). Rarely the clutch plates get distorted and won't release properly but that's a different problem and you'll notice more than just a clunk.

Edited by chris
  • Like 3

Much as Chris says, starting the engine when in gear with the clutch pulled in will put quite a bit of extra load on the starter, both electrically and mechanically, especially when cold; I wouldn't really recommend this as good practice considering in cold weather the starter system is under more stress anyway (battery etc).

It's pretty much OK when hot, the clutch will free off much more easily and with hot oil the drag will be less.

Check the things others have said, but in addition check that the oil is not overfilled at all as this will increase drag and usually causes poor gearshifting. I like to run with the oil midway on the dipstick partly for this reason. I've also found the make of oil can affect the amount of drag and how easily the clutch frees off, personally I find Castrol Power1 is pretty good though I haven't done any direct comparisons, only by experience.

Guest motorboy

I have found that most Hondas like no more than 20mm clutch lever play measured at the end of the lever as stated in the owners manual also while the bike is warming up a little just pull in the clutch for like 20sec's click in gear no clunk

Guest odansky

Try and do the following:

just before lowing the gear from second to first, rev the throttle (around 3 - 4k) while still holing in the clutch, then lower the gear.

I find that this really helps eliminating the noisy clunk  (mainly from 2nd to 1st gear).

Regards,

Guest dentonlad

Robert,

I do wonder why you ask these questions? I only passed my test 20 months ago and hadn't ridden a bike for 30 odd years prior to that, but every bike I have ever ridden, clunks when you put it in first. Triumph Tiger Cub, CZ175, CZ250, Benelli 250, Yamaha 125, KMX125, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha Tenere, Varadero XL125,GS550, CB600F, LC350, GSX600F, VFR800X,CB650, CBF1000, Tiger 1050, my NC700 and my Crosstourer etc, etc, etc......

I hate to say it, at the risk of censure, but, we've seen one picture of your bike - on its side in sand - hardly a recommendation for your much vaunted riding skills and your decrying of those of us who are happy with ABS, DCT and other rider aids.

You've made hundreds of posts (most of them speculative or ultimately pointless) and haven't given Ted a bean by donating towards the site. We don't know what continent you're on or what bikes you've owned, how long you've been riding or much about you really other than most of what you post is bolloc*s.

We're quite a friendly lot on here, will help wherever we can and accept that English isn't your first language, forgive the mistakes and understand that something is lost in translation. However, as a former fraud investigator I am inescapably drawn to the conclusion that you are, in common parlance, a 'fanny merchant'.

Please, please, prove me wrong by joining up and posting a 20 year riding history with pictures of all your bikes and riding experiences.......

glencoeman

Well Dentonlad, you are definitely going all out to prove that the forum is a friendly bunch...................NOT! You're really not going about the right way to attract fellow NC700 enthusiasts. Considering that you only passed your test relatively recently, most people will have a lot more motorcycling experience than you. All I am really saying is, put your brain in gear before posting such nasty personal comments.

Rocker66

I feel that Dentonlad might have a point. on one hand post Robson is telling us that we need to learn to ride if we like ABS and that despite doing a lot of off road riding he has never dropped his bike then on the other hand he asks questions that would be expected of a newcomer to riding. On more than occasion he has been asked about his riding experience but he always ignores the question.

I too feel that he often posts things just to get a reaction or stir things up. His posts frequently contradict each other as well

• Like 1
Derek_Mac

Well glencoeman, have you read many of the postings that robson has made?

I'm guessing that you haven't.  :)

• Like 2

Robert,

I do wonder why you ask these questions? I only passed my test 20 months ago and hadn't ridden a bike for 30 odd years prior to that, but every bike I have ever ridden, clunks when you put it in first. Triumph Tiger Cub, CZ175, CZ250, Benelli 250, Yamaha 125, KMX125, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha Tenere, Varadero XL125,GS550, CB600F, LC350, GSX600F, VFR800X,CB650, CBF1000, Tiger 1050, my NC700 and my Crosstourer etc, etc, etc......

I hate to say it, at the risk of censure, but, we've seen one picture of your bike - on its side in sand - hardly a recommendation for your much vaunted riding skills and your decrying of those of us who are happy with ABS, DCT and other rider aids.

You've made hundreds of posts (most of them speculative or ultimately pointless) and haven't given Ted a bean by donating towards the site. We don't know what continent you're on or what bikes you've owned, how long you've been riding or much about you really other than most of what you post is bolloc*s.

We're quite a friendly lot on here, will help wherever we can and accept that English isn't your first language, forgive the mistakes and understand that something is lost in translation. However, as a former fraud investigator I am inescapably drawn to the conclusion that you are, in common parlance, a 'fanny merchant'.

Please, please, prove me wrong by joining up and posting a 20 year riding history with pictures of all your bikes and riding experiences.......

well, I don't have to prove you anything but you have just proved you're arrogant idiot,

and your first language is worse then mine supposedly second.

Rocker66

well, I don't have to prove you anything but you have just proved you're arrogant idiot,

and your first language is worse then mine supposedly second.

You resorting to personal insults is really not helping matters is it. you have to admit that your posts telling other people how to ride and how good a rider you are do not tally with some of the very basic newbie questions you ask.

Maybe posting a little bit of your biking back ground might help as several members seem quite confused

I feel that Dentonlad might have a point. on one hand post Robson is telling us that we need to learn to ride if we like ABS and that despite doing a lot of off road riding he has never dropped his bike then on the other hand he asks questions that would be expected of a newcomer to riding. On more than occasion he has been asked about his riding experience but he always ignores the question.

I too feel that he often posts things just to get a reaction or stir things up. His posts frequently contradict each other as well

If you really feel better than I can tell you I ride not as long as you so you have to be better rider and you have more skills then anyone else here, happy now?  (If you think big mileage makes you better rider)    BTW my posts contradict only with your illogical mind obviously.  

Happy holidays.

Rocker66

No your posts contradict each other. Unlike you I don't claim to better rider than others and tell them how to ride. You call others arrogant but then tell people like Rev Ken who has been riding longer than many members have been on this earth and has several riding qualifications that because he likes ABS they he needs to learn to ride.

Nobody minds people asking basic questions (in fact it's encouraged) as we all had to learn and are still learning however to ask them in one post and then tell others that they need to learn to ride in other seems strange.

As you can see from other members posts and likes for mine on this subject I'm not alone in my feelings.

I don't know you so I have no personal feelings about you other than finding some of your postings strange and as I said wondering if you post some of them just to get a response

Blimey, full of Christmas cheer in here then!

Keep it civil and friendly, or else, grrr.

• Like 1

Robson - I completely endorse the comments of Dentonlad and Rocker66.  I find your posts frequently stir up unnecessary bad feeling on this forum.  I note you accuse Dentonlad of arrogance.  I have to say I have never noticed even a hint of arrogance in his posts.  Whereas.........

May I commend to you the advice I was given (in a broad Geordie accent) by a bird 35 years ago when I made a pathetic attempt to chat her up?  "If you haven't got anything sensible to say, don't say anything at all?"

• Like 3
Guest chicken george

I thought it was a valid question. Sometimes my bike is cold and I put it in 1st and there is hardly any clunk. Sometimes it's warm and clunks like the gear box is going to drop out. I've never been overly concerned as when sat a traffic lights with 10+ other bikes, old and new, they all do it.

I now understand it all depends on the chain slack, but didn't really think about it before this post...

Also, why does it mater how long someone has been riding for? I passed my test in Aug this year and have ridden 8000 miles. Does this make me more or less experienced at sticking a bike in 1st gear.