Rear Suspension Noise

Guest alexm3388
Go to solution Solved by Guest nigel w,

Guest nigel w

You won't have 30 or 40 mm of slack when you sit on it Alex it should be tighter at that time but not too tight. It's a bit of black art the old chain adjustment.

Take it to your dealer and let them have the hassle mate.

Nigel.

trisaki

As a basic setting when sitting on the bike I like to have approx an inch or so chain slack

Guest alexm3388

You won't have 30 or 40 mm of slack when you sit on it Alex it should be tighter at that time but not too tight. It's a bit of black art the old chain adjustment.

Take it to your dealer and let them have the hassle mate.

Nigel.

That's right, I measured it earlier and with the bike on the side stand the slack was about 20mm. Once you sit on it, there's nothing left.

Nigel thanks again, its much appreciated.

Derek_Mac

Well, that's one mystery solved. The chain has a zero slack when I sit on the bike, I just didnt think of it. Kept checking while I'm crouching next to it and it's not my first bike or the first chain.

Nigel, thanks brother and I thank everyone else for their advice. Although I have all the tools neccessary for this operation I think I'll take the bike in anyway tomorrow morning since it is still under warranty. If I mess something up I might loose it. By the way, does anyone know what is the torque required for the axle nut? Just in case...

According to the workshop manual the torque setting is:  Rear wheel axle nut 98 N·m (10.0 kgf·m, or 72 lbf·ft.)

Guest alexm3388

Good day everyone, I thought of updating and thanking all for your kind help. 

I've taken the bike to the dealer this morning. It took them about twenty minutes to readjust the chain and everything is back to normal, I honestly couldn't be happier. It costed nothing, it was quick and the bike doesn't sound like a horse carriage any more.

With regards to the chain itself, I have no idea how did it get tighter, no one worked on it since I bought it new and like I said, there are only 2800 miles on the clock. Same as some of you, I thought it should get loose instead of tight as you continue riding it and it isn't my first bike but it's definitely my first "chain tightening on it's own" experience. It could be that it had something to do with the suspension- it might have sagged a bit in the past ten days because I gave my daughter a lift to work a few times and she is a grown woman, not a kid. However, the suspension shouldn't have sagged permanently even a bit, that's my opinion at least.

Anyway, I'll just keep an eye on it for some time to come, just in case. Again, thanks a lot guys for your posts and advice.