• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandemann8

• nabrU

• Rocker66

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the bike has only done 4500 miles - only 3900 miles since an oil and filter change. I would do a mini service (quite easy on the NC) and change the engine oil and filter plus oil the chain if you d

For any London based folk I can recommend Motoden. Yes the costs are slightly higher (£175 for the 8k service) but a nice bunch of guys, no hassle and my v dirty bike came back spotless.

That's helpful Micheal as thats the only item i am taking to a mech to do so its a plug in job and if theirs no need to adjust they don not do but do they still charge the 2 hours labour by say they h

I need to think about a twelve months service in the spring some time and will be shopping around for the best deal shortly.

Has anyone used Kent Motorcycles at Barham recently? Although its a treck out from here and I have a local dealer just around the corner, I want a good price, especially as I won't have done more than about 4k by then. In any case I've promised myself some grub at H's café and thought about planning a service whilst I eat!  Kent's have got some good feedback on the forum in the past. I assume they are still OK?

Rocker66

I need to think about a twelve months service in the spring some time and will be shopping around for the best deal shortly.

Has anyone used Kent Motorcycles at Barham recently? Although its a treck out from here and I have a local dealer just around the corner, I want a good price, especially as I won't have done more than about 4k by then. In any case I've promised myself some grub at H's café and thought about planning a service whilst I eat!  Kent's have got some good feedback on the forum in the past. I assume they are still OK?

Still the same guys there so service is still up to standard. If you do decide to come over the water then if you would like to meet up for coffee and a chat PM me, We go there on a regular basis

dandemann8

Well second service went well, watched the whole process which was to the schedule, more importantly service book stamped to keep my warranty in order but from now on it's servicing at home..... ;)

For any London based folk I can recommend Motoden. Yes the costs are slightly higher (£175 for the 8k service) but a nice bunch of guys, no hassle and my v dirty bike came back spotless.

• Like 1

I know it's 12 months or 8000 miles but as I've only covered about 4500 miles it's obviously going to be 12 months but is that from date of purchase or from the date of the 600 mile service?

And finally what sort of cost are we looking at, yes I know others have posted costs but they seem to vary quite alot?

I always go from the date of the 600 mile service since that was when the oil was done last. Honda dealer has told me that's what to do also.

Guest wolfram

I have some more information about the 8,000 mile service. I had quotes from £135-£320 from Honda dealers.

The difference seems to be valve clearances creating confusion.

A very helpful guy from castle motorcycles (Castleford) checked on the vin of my bike. apparently, i have a 2012 model NC700XA-C, even though it is on a 2013 plate (registered in June). This DOES need valve clearances at 8,000 mile intervals. The 2013 model NC700XA-D and on DOES NOT need the 8,000 mile check.

They quoted me £230 with the valve clearances check.

Mikdent

Still the same guys there so service is still up to standard. If you do decide to come over the water then if you would like to meet up for coffee and a chat PM me, We go there on a regular basis

I'm on 5300 something miles and am planning on getting it serviced some time in spring, it was new in January of last year (from KM) so will be over the 12 month period but much closer to 8000 miles.

Anyway, my question is this, do you know what KM charge for the second service? I had the first service done there but only paid for the oil and filters (DCT), the labour was free.

I won't take it anywhere else to be honest, regardless of price, I'm just curios of what kind of money I'm looking at.

Rocker66

I'm on 5300 something miles and am planning on getting it serviced some time in spring, it was new in January of last year (from KM) so will be over the 12 month period but much closer to 8000 miles.

Anyway, my question is this, do you know what KM charge for the second service? I had the first service done there but only paid for the oil and filters (DCT), the labour was free.

I won't take it anywhere else to be honest, regardless of price, I'm just curios of what kind of money I'm looking at.

To be honest you would be better giving them a ring and getting a quote. That way you can discuss what actually needs doing. I'm sure that you will find them reasonable

dandemann8

Outside 12 months will void warranty if I'm not wrong as the service schedule is 12 months or 8000 miles whichever comes first... ;)

They said the valves are not checked until the 16000 miles service but only then if the bike settings on computer are out of adjustment-- that's what they told me !!!

That's helpful Micheal as thats the only item i am taking to a mech to do so its a plug in job and if theirs no need to adjust they don not do but do they still charge the 2 hours labour by say they have checked?  :( anbody else out thier with any info would be great.

Oh i have just keep & staples receipts for sundries consumables  ie oil filter tyres  pads chain ect an staple in book this does not invalidate the warranty as long as you can prove you have purchased the service items and sundries for the bike  (you can write in yourself dates following their service schedule 9 comes back to competent person laws). i know they say a dealer stamp for serving increases the second hand value but i know personally several bike salesman and they do not even take any notice of thisits just a sales ploy they use just general condition and straight out the value book that's the reality all the rest is scare tactics and hearsay to get you to use their serving facilities its the circle of business consumerism that has evolved over the last 40 years that's be my personal experience. :hmm:  

Cheers David

Edited by DB1965
  • Like 1
Guest bonekicker

I've been looking for a Honda Advertisement which on the left hand side of the page showed the service costs ( it must vary from bike to bike) But as usuall I can not find it--It did show the 8000 service for the NC750X as £159-- I paid £120 by asking and having a moan --that's 3 weeks old age pension for me ( It IS) I had done the oil & Filter myself at 4000 and it cost £40 for materials from Honda garage--- It took me 20 mins--so I do think even £120 is expensive for the only thing you can see from the service at garage was a good wash.--By the way it is washed off after the service is done--you would think it would be first ???

When I had my CB500X I asked for and got--a print out of the computer's data from my bike--It showed all the settings --emissions--every think--they told me the this print out show's if the valves need adjustment--because the engine would not be running accurately-- no if the dealers are doing the valve adjustments for no reason is this correct and proper--are they charging for doing it and not doing it-- This Is My View Only--and the information I have received.

I went into one of Honda dealers and the salesman to my left was stamping a new service book up to date for a bike they had just bought--so that makes another farce. I get lost in all this-- I just pay the service for the sake of warranty--I always oil cables check bikes adjustment's my self anyway--when I went for a test ride on my new CB650F I spent 10 mins going over it making sure all bits were fastened on--I was going to ride the bike not the guy who put it thereto--I do not have blind faith.

We all need to learn to check our bikes over every time we go out and to be able to service it.  

This is not dealer basing I am answering Questions by members who are concerned and confused about the servicing of their bikes. 

RussB644

Essex Honda in Chelmsford have just quoted me £160 for a 12 month service where I've only done 3k but will obviously trigger the 12 months criteria. I had a CBR service there before to maintain warranty and I've always had reasonable service.

dandemann8

Essex Honda in Chelmsford have just quoted me £160 for a 12 month service where I've only done 3k but will obviously trigger the 12 months criteria. I had a CBR service there before to maintain warranty and I've always had reasonable service.

Wow, these prices are a joke, why don't Honda set a standard charge for these services...?

Just called my Honda dealer (car) to book the Mrs Honda Jazz in for it's service, she only does about 4000 miles a year so it's only a intrim service, they quoted £155 :( for basically oil,oil filter and overall checks and a stamp in the book but by the time I'd booked it in I'd got him down to £99 :) Then this morning I get a letter through the post informing me of the service is due plus if I book it in they'll do a FREE fuel flush worth £15.......:) :) :)

So alittle bit of haggling goes a long way to help your bank balance...... ;)

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Can we all see why we are totally confused about the servicing issues--what should be done--how much will it cost--why did Jim get his £50 cheaper--tappets adjust's?   Come on if Honda do not know when tappet's on which model or year--how are we supposed to know?

I am totally mystified we have talked about this subject over and over again--and got no were.

Who will step forward to the line and ??? and what ?? contact Honda?? write to Mr PM (a complete waste of *******time) will this same issue or issues just carry on and on--I don't know :mad:  :no:

Guest stevieb

Guys,

You do NOT have to take your bike to a dealer for servicing if it is in warranty and to keep the warranty. If anything goes wrong all you have to be able to prove is that it has been maintained by a "competent" person.

This I got told by the Honda dealer when I bought mine brand new last september

Guest wolfram

I'd rather 1) pay a little more to get more done, than 2) pay the minimum for a 'stamp in the book'. What we all want to avoid is 3) pay a lot for a stamp in the book'

I had my local independent (Millers, Darlington) do a full 2 year 8,000 mile service. This was over the top and involved:

Fuel line inspect

throttle operation inspect

air cleaner cleaned

crankcasebreather cleaned

valve clerance inspect

engine oil replace

engine oil filter replace

engine idle speed inspect

radiator coolant replace

cooling system inspect

drive chain lubricate/adjust

drive chain slider inspect

brake fluid replace

brake pads wear inspect

brake system inspect

brake light switch inspect

headlight aim inspect

clutch system inspect

side stand inspect

suspension inspect

nuts,bolts,fasteners inspect

wheel/tyres inspect

stearing head bearings inspect

Drove the bike for the first time after service today - absolute pleasure - such a difference. Well worth the £220

Phil

Edited by wolfram
trisaki

Found out that in the case of the 700x engine if its a xac valves need checking at 8000 if its a xad then its 16000 !

• 3 weeks later...

Got my 8K service done today. Cost me £202 and they replaced the DCT filter when they didn't need to. Probably paid extra for the labour (which is the majority of the cost) to replace the combo meter and the cam on the luggage box (recall work). Got an advisory on cracking on the tyre valves and the tread depth is down to 1.5mm. Looks like I'll be fitting some new Mitchellin PR4's to replace the scorpions over the summer.

PS Aiming to get the 16k service done myself next time

Edited by djsb
nabrU

David, where did you go for the 8K service being done on your bike?

Edited by Radarman

Dobles in Coulsdon. Took it down for 9am and got a text message at 1pm. Was back home by 3:30pm. No really worried if they charged me a bit more than usual just relieved to get it done.

It would be nice to find someone trustworthy a bit closer though.

Edited by djsb
nabrU

Thanks David,

I thought you got your service done by Norton Way Honda in Letchworth (which is I think a bit closer than Dobles).

I'm booked on 11 April there.

Guest bonekicker

If I had the chance to start my working life over again--I would be a Honda mechanic--doing nothing but servicing--if I started doing this at say 21 years old--I think that at about 50 years old I would retire quite well off,

All the checked this and oiled that are mere seconds of work---the chain is cleaned at the same time it's power washed so just needs oiling--he does not do it by hand--oil change and filter change 10 mins--I would say honestly that from bring bike in to workshop to going out 25 mins at most--materials £30--- £159 to you not a bad turn over-- 10 services a day --5 days a week--that will do me fine--new car this year--4 holidays--new house next year---Right Cut price to all members--£100 all in--still a great profit-- It was just a thought :baby: