First service

Guest Jonnyboy

Guest Jonnyboy

Hi all

I have a nc750x 14 plate, it's due its first service.ive only done 2600 miles in 12 months. Could anyone what a first service entails. Honda in Rochdale quoted £160. Is this a good price?

Guest kordun

My bike is 14 plate with 4500 miles and just had service done £167 in Reading Honda. Dont know what was done, will need to check receipt 

Guest dentonlad

Hi all

I have a nc750x 14 plate, it's due its first service.ive only done 2600 miles in 12 months. Could anyone what a first service entails. Honda in Rochdale quoted £160. Is this a good price?

That'll be for usual checks and adjustments, new filters and oil. Probably a couple of hours labour included. They charge £54 per hour (inc VAT).

Arthur (who does the work) is a Honda Master Tech and is thoroughly good at his job. I've bought 4 bikes from them and they do all my servicing. Happy to recommend them. All good lads.

Tell them you know me - and they'll add 10% to the bill......

Isn't the first service supposed to be done at 600 miles? It would be the engine/gearbox I'd be worried about if left for too long. Don't want to worry you just saying.

Guest Jonnyboy

No no ive had that 600 mile one done last year. Hunts in burnage did it. Not happy with them they put a ltr too much oil in it. But that's another story

Edited by Jonnyboy
Guest bonekicker

£120 I paid--ask for a better price--you lads keep paying out too much money for these simple basic services--I think £120 is far too much--I only get it done for the warranty--or would do it myself. :ermm:

kharli

You don't need to let anyone else do the servicing as long as its to there specs and done properly . It doesn't affect warranty

wpbrown

I had a "Level 2" annual service at 3055 miles. Quite a comprehensive check, was quite pleased at  £129.00

Guest Southerner

Here we go again - the old servicing cost subject. It's quite popular here Jonny!

£160 is a lot for the first annual service - try to haggle to a maximum of £120 - hopefully less!

Guest Jonnyboy

I fix cars for a living, but don't know if I can do my bike. It's a family fun business and vat registered. Could I do it and stamp the book, without affecting my warranty?

Guest Southerner

It's basically just an oil and filter change - have a look in your handbook.

I believe that you retain the warranty if you use genuine parts and retain receipts.

kharli

yes... they will inspect warranty issues ..if its a biggy like engine failure, or your abuse of the gearbox ,they can tell a lot ,especially wrong fuels and oils ,so if you stick to their book you wont find issues .

In fact most dealers be pleased for the work if something does come up . . I had all my suspension replaced ,though I was servicing it myself no quibbles .then I had pitting in my front disc just before the two year warranty ,again they took a photo sent it to `Honda` and was told to swap it free of charge ..got new brake pads as well!.

I did start off having main dealer service but I plain couldn't afford it , and the dealers were very helpful if I needed advice .

I think most warranty work is cosmetic . (paint issues) I did all the valve servicing myself for a two hundred quid saving ,and brake fluid change wasn't rocket science either. Cleaning the brake pistons  myself saved me the most ..I was forever getting extra hours on my bill for `freeing up pistons `

I write in my book the work I have done , The stamped book bit is to get alledged more second hand value but this bike depreciates nasty ..I bet mine from new not worth 2800 now.

Guest RobF

I fix cars for a living, but don't know if I can do my bike. It's a family fun business and vat registered. Could I do it and stamp the book, without affecting my warranty?

As long as you buy genuine parts. It's an engine oil and filter swap, dct clutch filter swap, new seal on the oil drain plug. Check the steering head bearings and make sure everything works and has no play. Lubricate the chain. There's a service schedule in the manual.

I was quoted silly prices for my first service so did it myself. To be honest when you see how easy it is and how little the parts cost you'll see they're taking the micky if they charge more than £85 + vat and that includes the labour.

I have to agree I have been quoted £150 for the first service (12 month 8000 mile). Having looked at the schedule it is as has been said basically an oil and filter change. I paid less than that for my Renault clio rs200 and my Civic type r when I had them. :-0

I think I will be buying the consumables myself and doing my own service.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
baben

Just moved house so new dealer. Rang and asked about first service - £79 plus bits. Seems reasonable. Also asked how the tyres were doing as Honda were viewing the tyre wear issue sympathetically.  My last dealer was just po faced when I raised the issue. Wanted to sell me some new expensive tyres so got a friendly local mechanic to change them for me. The new guy also wanted the reg number so he could check whether there were outstanding recalls. Seems a better outfit than the last. Oh, they are called CJ Ball by the way. I won't name the old dealer as generally in many respects they were ok, just not on tyres!

Tigertail

:niceone: Big thumbs up for CJ Ball.  Hey Glendon, you moved to Norfolk then?

baben

Hi Kev, yep I just joined the Turnip munching fraternity, What fantastic roads we have here!  I am loving it.  I will be at the Lollipop diner next Saturday. If anyone else is going, I'll see them there.

Bike was serviced today. Final bill  £128.27 which I think is fair - £34 of that was the cost of oil!

• Like 1
Guest nigel w

I had a one year service done last weekend milage 4800, the cost of the service was £116. As soon as the warranty is up I will be doing the work myself. (Dealer Gedges of Hastings). Bought bikes from them and had relevant services done by them allways good service.

• 2 weeks later...
JM750XDE

Motoden Kingsland Rd London just quoted me £180 for 600 mile service on 750DCT.

Is that a tad sharp?

Was advised that it's a long service and it's a big bike.

Guest dentonlad

Motoden Kingsland Rd London just quoted me £180 for 600 mile service on 750DCT.

Is that a tad sharp?

Was advised that it's a long service and it's a big bike.

Seems a bit steep, even for London.....First service for a DCT is replace oil, replace oil filter, replace clutch oil filter. There are a number of items which are 'inspect'. This means they should be inspected and cleaned, adjusted, lubricated or replaced if necessary.

JM750XDE

Hmmmm. I'll call others.

Guest Southerner

Hmmmm. I'll call others.

Please do - that's a complete rip-off...!

Pay no more than £130 - as an absolute maximum...