Intermediate/early oil change.

Guest Rev Light

shiggsy

Had a CBR600 in the 90's, changed the oil and filter at the recommended 6k interval and it never used a drop of oil, traded it in with 100k miles on the clock.

Had a ZX12 that had weird service intervals, I thought it was 7.5k but i checked the other day and it actually alternated between 4k and 3.5k. Anyway I used to change the oil and filter every 10k.  It started to use a small amount of oil at around 125k miles mark, I changed the pistons and rings but the small amount of oil use continued. It was actually the valve seals that had started to wear, just put a 2nd hand head on it and the oil use stopped. It was still going strong at 145k.

Always used Silkolene \ Fuchs synthetic. I certainly don't bother with early oil changes, proved to myself its not necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

Mines going in for an oil and filter change on Friday at 19000 miles. The bike is running snickety snick smooth so I want to keep it like that all the way to a 100,000 miles. Regular 4000 mile oil and filter changes in my opinion will do it no harm.

I do an intermediate oil change in all of my vehicles and plan to do the same with the 750X. Cheap insurance and as previously said gives the ideal opportunity to have a good look over the bike.

Is it necessary? Who can really say, but in my opinion oil isn't wine - it ain't going to improve with age.

Colin

I cant find the old thread on which forum but someone had a full analysis of the oil after 8000 miles and it was very clean and well in shear specs ,im on 43000 miles and i cant see any noticeable consumption.

A vw lt40 dropside i kept for 250000 miles barely used a drop either!    Its the clutch wear particles would worry me most but thats what the filters for i guess.

Clean burning engines like the nc seem to add very little soot to the mix either

Oil and filter change and a general health check £124 all green lights and running lovely. 19997 miles 16 months old. I am pleased with how the bike is at the moment

• Like 1