First 600 miles service costs!

Guest chickenflaps

Rocker66

Yes he is only a small dealer where the owner is hands on. All the staff are bike enthusiasts as well

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• tc3

• wozza

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well got the first service done today at 720 miles and as they promised it was exactly 100 quid which inclded lots of coffee and a few choc bars so i can live with that but not sure my diabetics can

Some .  of the stories on here convince me that it is a good idea  to find a decent dealer and stick with them. You may not get such a big discount but what price excellent after sales service. Also t

Mike5100

Just double checked with my dealer Tillstons in Stockton and they said between £80 and £100 depending on what oil I want them to put in

Mike

Guest chickenflaps

Well, it worked out OK in the end. My £205 bill was reduced by £105, so the first service has cost me £100. Still not particularly cheap compared with the prices some of you folks have quoted, but at least i'm in the ball park now.

The dealer put this down to someone at Honda inputting the wrong "menu" against the NC700, hence the wrong jobs/price.

My recommendation: ask for a clearly explained list of what the dealer is intending to do to your bike on the first (or subsequent) service before you ride in and hand over the keys.

Rocker66

Maybe they should do what BMW dealers do (or I assume that they still do) which is to post a list of jobs and the cost

Well, it worked out OK in the end. My £205 bill was reduced by £105, so the first service has cost me £100. Still not particularly cheap compared with the prices some of you folks have quoted, but at least i'm in the ball park now.

The dealer put this down to someone at Honda inputting the wrong "menu" against the NC700, hence the wrong jobs/price.

My recommendation: ask for a clearly explained list of what the dealer is intending to do to your bike on the first (or subsequent) service before you ride in and hand over the keys.

Neil cheers for letting us know. Going to make sure mine is confirmed at no more than 100 quid!

Guest martroy

I've just returned from my 600 miles service at Thunderoad Cwmbran, I was quoted about £80 on the phone when I booked it, when I went to pay it was £112, I pulled a face and said about the £80 quote , some paper was shuffled, computers referred too and shazam...£83 sir ! To be fair the job was done quickly, seems to have been done well and I was offered more free coffee than I could manage but why all the different prices ? The service guy, when he was recalculating my bill, muttered something about the sales dept paying part of the bill but maybe not all dealerships are doing this. I'm surprised Honda haven't got this sorted though , it looks very unprofessional , as Rocker says BMW dealers have a list of hourly rates for all jobs and the price per hour labour. The only variable then are the materials.

They did the same to me - but I paid the £112... gah!

Guest martroy

I thought you said in a previous post that you only paid £80 odd Jase, because I was keeping that information up my sleeve if they didn't drop the price.

They said £85 on the phone, but it came to £110ish - I assumed they'd added VAT on top and as I hadn't confirmed that I didn't quibble. There again, the service manager left about a month after that.... I should have said something at the time :(

Still, after the service manager left I got my topbox replaced within days and I was back there again today for them to look at the heated grips under warranty. I'll definitely be checking the price for the 8K service though :D

Edited by JaseR
Mike5100

what was the problem with the heated grips?

mike

Guest martroy

Funny you should mention the 8k service, Jase. after I payed I casually asked about the 8k and was told about £160, when I said " that's quite reasonable considering the tappets need doing", the service guy said " no, the tappets are done at 16k" when I pointed out the handbook says 8k, he said " oh it'll be a bit more then"

I wonder if they get the NT and the NC mixed-up when you ask for quick rough idea of the prices.

@Mart - I'll be asking around for prices soon enough, I'm at about 3.5K miles (since June).

@Mike - not wanting to derail this thread, it appears that when it rains heavily, water is causing the (Honda) heated grip light to come on at ½ brightness without the need for me to push the button - when I can work out where I can host the mpeg I'll link it in another thread.

Guest chickenflaps

Funny you should mention the 8k service, Jase. after I payed I casually asked about the 8k and was told about £160, when I said " that's quite reasonable considering the tappets need doing", the service guy said " no, the tappets are done at 16k" when I pointed out the handbook says 8k, he said " oh it'll be a bit more then"

I wonder if they get the NT and the NC mixed-up when you ask for quick rough idea of the prices.

they definintely do get the NT confused (on the computer) with the NC - my dealer confessed to that..he even said the NT "menu pricing" was why I'd originally been overcharged (and since refunded).

they definintely do get the NT confused (on the computer) with the NC - my dealer confessed to that..he even said the NT "menu pricing" was why I'd originally been overcharged (and since refunded).

Neil I asked Stephen the sales manager about the first service cost and he said it was 140- 150 quid. I said thats odd as it is only and oil change and filter change and a few check ups and that i was quoted 105 elsewhere. I also mentioned I was aware of your situation as i had got to know you through a web forum. He would not budge on 140 so i just told him thats not a problem i will take it to 1st line motorcycles in Barnet instead.....go figure. He then went on to say but the book needs to be stamped ..... surely they must be aware the barnet dealer is a proper Honda dealer!

Edited by tc3
Guest chickenflaps

Neil I asked Stephen the sales manager about the first service cost and he said it was 140- 150 quid. I said thats odd as it is only and oil change and filter change and a few check ups and that i was quoted 105 elsewhere. I also mentioned I was aware of your situation as i had got to know you through a web forum. He would not budge on 140 so i just told him thats not a problem i will take it to 1st line motorcycles in Barnet instead.....go figure. He then went on to say but the book needs to be stamped ..... surely they must be aware the barnet dealer is a proper Honda dealer!

If you have a word with Bryan Smith (who reduced my bill to £100) or Bruce Palmer (who emailed me today and would have acted had the situation not been resolved) you may get some joy - Stephen hasn't been involved in my debacle, and, generally, the Sales Manager tends to hand things over to the service manager when it comes to service matters. Given the other chaps a call...unless Firstline suits you better.

cheers!

Thanks Neil for letting me know. I had thought Stephen knew about your situation and looks like I am mistaken. I will email and see what they say.

Guest GeoffMeade

Got my NC700X from the same dealer, Norton Way, Letchworth. Six hundred mile service was £148. Something strange going on. I guess it's like phones, energy, insurance; clearly it pays to shop around.

Got my NC700X from the same dealer, Norton Way, Letchworth. Six hundred mile service was £148. Something strange going on. I guess it's like phones, energy, insurance; clearly it pays to shop around.

This is becoming quite the joke with this dealer!

Guest hairnet

ive been looking round dealers at bikes for sale and letchworth have an x and they say its an 11 when the bike wasnt launched till january - reg mid jan 12

one to avoid i think

poldark

They sound pretty arrogant to me.

I've only heard good things about Firstline, so even if it is a bit further I think you're better off making the trip.

I've only heard good things about Firstline, so even if it is a bit further I think you're better off making the trip.

Yeah sticking with First line for the first service and not going to bother asking about first service cost with Letchworth dealer anymore.

Guest chickenflaps

Why not call them back and say your mate (me) had his first service done for £100 and why the difference? I can't imagine your bike needed anything more doing to it than mine did, and they refunded me £105! I'm happy to back up your conversation if you like.

Guest chickenflaps

Yeah sticking with First line for the first service and not going to bother asking about first service cost with Letchworth dealer anymore.

Tony, where exactly are Firstline?

Neil just got a message from Bryan who has said the 600 mile ser vce will cost same as what you were charged....100. I got friendly with the service guys in past year and they did a good job with my pcx servicing so it is likely I will use em being a few miles away...plus a courtesy bike is normally avaliable