First 600 miles service costs!

Guest chickenflaps

Scootabout

Had my X done today at Scooters Ltd, AKA Chelsea Honda. £97.50. Labour shown as half an hour. I can't see how some dealers can say it'll take 2 hours or more. The owner's manual says all that needs doing is the oil & filter change, and checking that a few nuts are tight.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• tc3

• wozza

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well got the first service done today at 720 miles and as they promised it was exactly 100 quid which inclded lots of coffee and a few choc bars so i can live with that but not sure my diabetics can

Some .  of the stories on here convince me that it is a good idea  to find a decent dealer and stick with them. You may not get such a big discount but what price excellent after sales service. Also t

Guest matt d

I've just been quoted £261 by Chiswick Honda. They are well known locally for taking the mick when it comes to service costs. Needless to say I'll be going elsewhere. 

Edited by matt d
  • Like 1
Scootabout

I've just been quoted £261 by Chiswick Honda. They are well known locally for taking the mick when it comes to service costs. Needless to say I'll be going elsewhere.

According to the price list that Honda Chiswick handed to me about 2 months ago to illustrate how cheap the NC700 is to run, their price for a first service is £152. Odd that they compare running costs against their own CBF600, but the main point is the £152 figure for the first service. £109 less than quoted to you.. but still too much :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest T288msd

After quotes of £261 for Chiswick Honda and £160 at Dobles, I took it to Tippetts Honda in Tolworth. £97 including a CBF600 loan bike. Simple, old fashioned service. I'll be going back.

• Like 1
gardener

I got my first service done at dobles honda costing £161.I then emailed them about the prices being charged on here and they said it was because mine was a dct version which needed another filter and more oil.Fair enough but people are still paying a lot less than i was charged. I even bought the bike off them.

Guest EasyTiger

I got my first service done at dobles honda costing £161.I then emailed them about the prices being charged on here and they said it was because mine was a dct version which needed another filter and more oil.Fair enough

I had an 8,000 mile service on my X DCT at Thunder Road Honda recently (for £200 less than my local Honda dealer).

They told me according to the service schedule the auto filter and oil don't need changing till 16,000 miles...

Do they really need changing at 600 miles?

Edited by EasyTiger
Guest victor9098

My dealer (Bikeworld, Dublin) told me the first service would be free when I picked up the bike, just give them a weeks notice this time of year.

BUT

He then went on to say that the servicing intervals are 5,000km if I want to keep the warranty. Now having lurked here for a while  :fear:  and checking the manual when I got home it does say the interval should be 12,000km...but I let it slide at the time. Reckon I will get that first free service out of the way before taking that up with him. On the plus side Honda Ireland is 2mins up the road from him and they advertise €99 servicing deals for a week or two each summer, so worth keeping an eye out.

That said, after coming from a Buell all these figures are so much more competitive  ;) 

Edited by victor9098
Guest T288msd

I got my first service done at dobles honda costing £161.I then emailed them about the prices being charged on here and they said it was because mine was a dct version which needed another filter and more oil.Fair enough but people are still paying a lot less than i was charged. I even bought the bike off them.

Exactly the same as my chat with Dobles. I bought mine there too. £160 due to it being a DCT. They wouldn't budge.

I commute in on the A3 so Tippett's was very convenient. £97 is the best I've seen in London.

Derek_Mac

The DCT version uses the same amount of oil as the manual version, unless you're doing a full strip down and rebuild of the engine. The DCT filter costs £7.80 according to Honda and the mechanic technician has a couple of extra bolts to undo/tighten up.

My X has its first service on Friday.  Just checked the e-mail the dealer sent me when I bought the bike which confirms the cost is only for the oil & filter with labour being free.  Can't say fairer than that!  The dealer is Kent M/C's near Canterbury.  I just hope they don't give me the Crosstourer demo as a loan bike....if they do I may be sorely tempted (again)!

Rocker66

My X has its first service on Friday.  Just checked the e-mail the dealer sent me when I bought the bike which confirms the cost is only for the oil & filter with labour being free.  Can't say fairer than that!  The dealer is Kent M/C's near Canterbury.  I just hope they don't give me the Crosstourer demo as a loan bike....if they do I may be sorely tempted (again)!

I will give Hadrian a ring and give him the tip :whistle:  :whistle:

I will give Hadrian a ring and give him the tip :whistle:  :whistle:

My wallet has just told me to tell you 'don't you dare tell H that Mark vb likes the Crosstourer'!

I was at the cafe yesteday evening - most interesting bike there was an immaculate P-reg (1975 that is) CB750-4.

Guest spikidave

Just had mine done at HGB Ruislip, happy with the service. Only issue I have is that when booking it in I was told it would be £90 + vat which would have made it £108, but when the time came to settle up it had changed to £97 + vat which made it £116.50. So I feel a tad cheated, but the staff were very pleasant. I just wish I they kept their word.

First service done today at the grand total of £42.96 which was oil & filter, washer, brake paste & brake cleaner, labour free.  They also replaced one of the plastic caps on the grab handle bolts (which I lost) without charge....I'm happy!

Rocker66

First service done today at the grand total of £42.96 which was oil & filter, washer, brake paste & brake cleaner, labour free.  They also replaced one of the plastic caps on the grab handle bolts (which I lost) without charge....I'm happy!

I guess we are just lucky to have a great dealer down this way

Scootabout

I initially had the first service done at Scooters! Aka Chelsea Honda.  At £97 it seemed like a bargain.  However, I started getting vibration problems which may or may not have had anything to do with how that service was done.  This led to discussions with 2 other Honda dealers who raised eyebrows about the fact that (a) the oil type was not mentioned on the invoice, b. the sump plug had not been replaced, c. only half an hour's labour had been expended, making it questionable as to whether all the work had been done - notably tightening of bolts.  Ultimately I decided to get Dobles to repeat the service, at £120 (for the manual X).  They had a go at sorting the vibes, notably by re-torquing the engine mounting bolts and putting some foam under the not-the-tank catch.  Maybe it was overkill to do this, but it's given me some peace of mind.  The vibration issue has improved, but I have other tweaks I'm going to try also. 

Edited by Scootabout

just had mine done cost £97 , waited about an hour , they never even filled in my service book ,  makes you wonder ?

Rocker66

just had mine done cost £97 , waited about an hour , they never even filled in my service book ,  makes you wonder ?

I would go back and insist that they fill in your book in case of future warranty claims

Scootabout

I would go back and insist that they fill in your book in case of future warranty claims

Something else to check, and which the first dealer had not done, is whether they have registered the service on Honda's database.

Guest Mokel

I initially had the first service done at Scooters! Aka Chelsea Honda.  At £97 it seemed like a bargain.  However, I started getting vibration problems which may or may not have had anything to do with how that service was done.  This led to discussions with 2 other Honda dealers who raised eyebrows about the fact that (a) the oil type was not mentioned on the invoice, b. the sump plug had not been replaced, c. only half an hour's labour had been expended, making it questionable as to whether all the work had been done - notably tightening of bolts.  Ultimately I decided to get Dobles to repeat the service, at £120 (for the manual X).  They had a go at sorting the vibes, notably by re-torquing the engine mounting bolts and putting some foam under the not-the-tank catch.  Maybe it was overkill to do this, but it's given me some peace of mind.  The vibration issue has improved, but I have other tweaks I'm going to try also.

I've had rotten experiences at that Farm Road garage too. Did some shoddy work on a scooter insurance claim that took 4 weeks and still had to be taken back twice (hadn't replaced back shocks plus more).

I thoroughly despise the place and wouldn't take my bike back there even if it was an emergency.

went back today , the receptionist sighned and stamped it up , even though she didn't do the service , I think ?? , you never know ?? :D she got all the infr from a database on her pc so its registered somewhere .

I finally got around to doing the 600mile/1000km service on my NC-X (DCT). The initial quote was R1400 (94 pounds), so I asked them to explain the cost breakdown to me. After much mumbling and amounts totally to R900 (60 pounds) (it's a bitch when the client can add values in his head), I asked where the rest of the money goes....the spectacular answer "That's what it costs". I expressed my concern about paying for phantom things and eventually was told that it was a valve check because the service manual specifies it at 1000km. I took the maintenance page with me to them and pointed out that in fact that ISN'T necessary! This caused much consternation and chewing of lips, after several half hearted attempts at trying to prove that it was an "out of date" workshop manual, wrong manual, piece of ricotta cheese, we settled on R960 (64 pounds).....thanks to all the folks on here for pointing out that it wasn't actually necessary!

• 3 weeks later...

I got my 600 service from Victor Devine in Glasgow - £112, which included labour to fit a tank pad.  

Service included 1.2 hours of labour which was about £70.

I thought that was pretty good for a city-centre dealership.

ScaredyCat

I bought my NC700X DCT last Friday from Lings Honda Centre, have done an enjoyable 350 miles, anticipate it will be ready for its 600 mile service this Friday and have just booked it up from the dealer for this date.

This is very useful for me. I'm buying from Lings in Ipswich... forewarned is forearmed I'd say...