• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• grilo67

• fred_jb

• Rocker66

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got back earlier from taking my bike for its 1 year/8000 mile service.    I knew the chain needed adjusting, but thought I might as well leave it to them, but decided to check if they had done it when

Fred, I've been impressed with the new V-Strom 1000 since BIKE magazine rode one from their office in Peterborough back to the factory in Japan. A proper 'road test' that was!

Nasty things solenoids Fred. Hope you recovered quickly and are now in good health.

Great thing about Dobles new workshop is there is a large MOT viewing window and you can watch them work. It might encourage a bit of care.

That's debatable! They can't even fit a pair of heated grips to work properly, or follow the instruction manual! Even the throttle grip isn't fitted properly. Lookes like a rush job. This fitting was part of the deal when I bought the bike and it was agreed that I would pick it up on Monday 9th. They sent me an email that the bike was ready on the previous Saturday and if I wanted I could go and pick it up there and then. Lost all confidence in them. Thinking about finding another Honda dealer to do my 8000 mile service and future repairs/ services to keep my warranty.

Guest Southerner

That's debatable! They can't even fit a pair of heated grips to work properly, or follow the instruction manual! Even the throttle grip isn't fitted properly. Lookes like a rush job. This fitting was part of the deal when I bought the bike and it was agreed that I would pick it up on Monday 9th. They sent me an email that the bike was ready on the previous Saturday and if I wanted I could go and pick it up there and then. Lost all confidence in them. Thinking about finding another Honda dealer to do my 8000 mile service and future repairs/ services to keep my warranty.

I've been buying bikes and getting them serviced at Doble's off and on for about 16 years now.

I trust them more than most but they've dropped some real clangers over the years. The last was when I collected my 750X new last year - the hugger which they fitted was so pi**ed it made me wonder how it was released to a customer like that. I readjusted it when home within 10 mins.  

I've been buying bikes and getting them serviced at Doble's off and on for about 16 years now.

I trust them more than most but they've dropped some real clangers over the years. The last was when I collected my 750X new last year - the hugger which they fitted was so pi**ed it made me wonder how it was released to a customer like that. I readjusted it when home within 10 mins.  

I've made up my mind. The bike is booked in to sort out the mess they made and to fit a new seat gas strut under warranty. I'm going to comfront them about the throttle grip, how bad it's been fitted and say that they really should put a new pair and wire it as per instruction manual with a fuse in place. Whilst the bike is in the workshop I shall go and cancel the service budget plan and tell them that they've lost a customer. After the 3rd bike bought from them, this is the way I'm treated. Plenty more dealers out there. Just have to do my homework more carefully from now on.

Rocker66

I've made up my mind. The bike is booked in to sort out the mess they made and to fit a new seat gas strut under warranty. I'm going to comfront them about the throttle grip, how bad it's been fitted and say that they really should put a new pair and wire it as per instruction manual with a fuse in place. Whilst the bike is in the workshop I shall go and cancel the service budget plan and tell them that they've lost a customer. After the 3rd bike bought from them, this is the way I'm treated. Plenty more dealers out there. Just have to do my homework more carefully from now on.

Personally I would wait until the bike was back from the workshop before cancelling the service budget and telling them that they had lost a custome as you don't want them to tell the workshop not to bother too much as you were never coming back

• Like 1

Yep. You're a 100% right. I'm just so furious that I'm not thinking straight. I'll do it as soon as it comes out of the workshop. Thanks.

in my game -Aga and Rayburn cookers - they have tried to legislate and make sure that the guys (and a few girls) get qualifications.Trouble is there is a huge industry of giving " courses" and bits of paper - for large fees.These are ofcourse approved of by our political correct leaders - after all any degree or certificate shows what a good job their "education policy" is - and insurance firms who can escape payouts if the "certs" are in order.

Trouble is its all "boll*cks" and the worst jobs tend to be done by the least capable people -but they have a piece of paper!

In the "old days" you became a mechanic or heating "engineer" because you wanted that sort of work - now with so few jobs ,they  take what they can get.

So we get "fitters" who can change a part - the computer diagnosed it was broken, innit? But have no idea on really what the part does, or why it should fail. And don't forget that the employer cannot be too selective - he is obliged to take on unsuitable people to be "correct"

Its been LOVELY recently when ex services chaps have come for bits -their attitude is " don't tell me it can't be done, we will FIX it" not "Oh sorry that parts' not made any more-so you can only scrap it!

so maybe it's not all the dealers fault -maybe he is just part of a bigger problem.

baz the philosopher

My sons brother in law has recently left the Marines and is working for a company owned by an ex-Marine and staffed exclusively by ex-servicemen.  The company is run on military lines and productivity is very good with everyone pulling in the same direction.  This is according to the brother in law who is a supervisor.  I wonder how they get away with their recruitment policy but good on them I say.

Guest LaverdaSFC1000

I live between St Keverne & Manaccan.

I ride a Laverda SFC1000, on good days, and a KTM SMT 990 on the other days.

I was about to buy a new Honda NC750X but I am now waiting for the new ones to see how they are. If I do not like the new one there should be a good few deals on the old model or a nearly new old model.

Guest Southerner

Wayne, I believe that the changes are purely cosmetic with the engine being the same and untouched. The only thing that might swing it is the improved suspension I guess. 

I expect you may save yourself a good few hundred quid if you choose to buy the current model when stocks need shifting. 

Edited by Southerner

Put your thoughts to Mike Doble - he's a reasonable guy and it might be interesting to see his response.

mike@doble.co.uk

Hi Southerner,

Thanks for the idea. So Mike Doble, I take it, he's the top man? If so, I'll drop him an email on Thursday, when I get home after having the bike "repaired".

I'm quite keen on complaining more than ever about all this. I've just noticed another problem. When I bought the bke, it had 3700 miles and on the sevice book it shows the last one done at 1090, three years ago. A fortnight ago, I asked the service dept if the oil had been changed before I picked up the bike and they couldn't tell me for sure, but replied that "all bikes are checked before the handover". How is one supposed to trust them? Now I'm paying for a 2 year extended guarantee and if there are services missing, how are they going to accept repairs?

So, on Thusday I'm going to put all this to them and see what they will reply and do.

Mike5100

I am very impressed with my dealer - Honda Newcastle, but even so, their PDI wasn't very good as after picking it up and driving up into the hills for 50 miles I stopped for a coffee and realised that the chain was rock solid.  So tight I couldn't even budge it at all pressing it up and down.  They were very apologetic and since then have sorted and serviced the bike very well.

Mike

fred_jb

Further to my initial post:

I got a very quick response to my complaint, and an immediate apology, with a promise to investigate.  They have now been in touch to say that following investigation the member of staff responsible has been given further training.  I've also been given a written offer to do my next service free.  Given that they took this seriously, and assured me that it was an isolated incident, I'm not inclined to name and shame the dealership.  Anyone can make a mistake, but it is how it is dealt with that matters, and I can't fault them on that.

I was thinking of changing bikes, but a free service gives me another reason to hang on to the NC I suppose!

Fred

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 2

Truthfully, Fred, I think you should keep the NC for a while longer anyway. You invested a lot of time and money tailoring it to suit your needs. And those needs will never quite match those of a future purchaser, which means they will be reluctant to pay a 'premium' for them. Keep it. Ride it. Enjoy it.

• Like 1
fred_jb

Truthfully, Fred, I think you should keep the NC for a while longer anyway. You invested a lot of time and money tailoring it to suit your needs. And those needs will never quite match those of a future purchaser, which means they will be reluctant to pay a 'premium' for them. Keep it. Ride it. Enjoy it.

That is all true, but nevertheless I feel the urge to get something new, and most of the expensive bits like seat, exhaust, and rear shock are fairly sought after, so I can remove these before selling or trading in and get a lot of my money back by selling them.  Going to the NEC in the morning so will have a good look at what's available at an affordable price.  I also haven't yet ruled out a DCT CrossTourer - I've seen some secondhand low mileage examples within the budget.

Fred

Edited by fred_jb
Guest Southerner

Hi Southerner,

Thanks for the idea. So Mike Doble, I take it, he's the top man? If so, I'll drop him an email on Thursday, when I get home after having the bike "repaired".

I'm quite keen on complaining more than ever about all this. I've just noticed another problem. When I bought the bke, it had 3700 miles and on the sevice book it shows the last one done at 1090, three years ago. A fortnight ago, I asked the service dept if the oil had been changed before I picked up the bike and they couldn't tell me for sure, but replied that "all bikes are checked before the handover". How is one supposed to trust them? Now I'm paying for a 2 year extended guarantee and if there are services missing, how are they going to accept repairs?

So, on Thusday I'm going to put all this to them and see what they will reply and do.

Jorge - yes, Mike's the main man. Sits in the shop with all the other guys in the new bikes section, not hidden away in an office upstairs.

He's very open to knowing when customers are not satisfied, well worth composing an email to him. Let me know how you get on.

Guest Southerner

When I bought the bke, it had 3700 miles and on the sevice book it shows the last one done at 1090, three years ago. A fortnight ago, I asked the service dept if the oil had been changed before I picked up the bike and they couldn't tell me for sure, but replied that "all bikes are checked before the handover". 

Just sunk in what you're saying here - three years between service stamps? Should be annually. Is there the possibility that the previous owner did home servicing? 

Just sunk in what you're saying here - three years between service stamps? Should be annually. Is there the possibility that the previous owner did home servicing? 

See? That's my dilema! I don't know what oil is in the engine, how long it's been there and they can't/ won't give me details. But on the handover day, were quick to push an extended warranty. I, personally, think that a warranty on the bike, as it is in mint condition and with the complex dct, etc., in my opinion is a good thing to have, but we all know that it's voided when maintenance and/ or stamps are missing. Like I said yesterday, the bike is going in tomorrow to have the bits and pieces finally done and I shall, once again try to get answers.

trisaki

Fair point Fred we are only human , thank god ,

Guest Southerner

See? That's my dilema! I don't know what oil is in the engine, how long it's been there and they can't/ won't give me details. But on the handover day, were quick to push an extended warranty. I, personally, think that a warranty on the bike, as it is in mint condition and with the complex dct, etc., in my opinion is a good thing to have, but we all know that it's voided when maintenance and/ or stamps are missing. Like I said yesterday, the bike is going in tomorrow to have the bits and pieces finally done and I shall, once again try to get answers.

Yes, query why the bike was released to you with a service gap of three years.

Yes, query why the bike was released to you with a service gap of three years.

Hi John,

I have just sent an email expressing my thoughts and queries about the whole matter. Now just have to wait for the reply, if any!

Was down there this morning for them to rewire the grips direct to the battery and fit a new seat damper under warranty. The grips seem to be working good.

Guest Southerner

Hi John,

I have just sent an email expressing my thoughts and queries about the whole matter. Now just have to wait for the reply, if any!

Was down there this morning for them to rewire the grips direct to the battery and fit a new seat damper under warranty. The grips seem to be working good.

Addressed to Mike Doble?

At least the grips seem good now.

Yes it was addressed to him.