A warm right hand

Guest garcher

Guest garcher

So, I've got what I think are Honda grip heaters. The activation button is on the left hand control set and has 3 settings...

The issue I have is the right grip is always an order of magnitude hotter than the left. I've had a poke around in the manual but it doesn't mention the grip heaters anywhere...

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the temperatures of the left and right grips?

Cheers :)

(I leave the innuendo puns on the title to you guys)

Guest machinman

They should both give the same output, unfortunately this can be a fault with heated grips, they all play up eventually.

Some makes tend to last longer than others, though I have no experience of the genuine Honda items.

Not sure how much of a difference in temperatures you are getting, but I on several bikes I've had there has been a noticeable but not severe difference which I have always attributed to different heat dissipation/conductivity. Left grip is on metal handlebar which will conduct heat away whilst right is on plastic throttle  which helps to act as an insulator so "leaching" less heat away through the bars.

This might be complete rubbish of course, but it is the assumption I have always made

• Like 2

I Have always used Honda grips and never noticed any difference in temperature. What I have noticed is if you grip the throttle all the way round you get more head as opposed to maybe covering the clutch and only having 1/2 your hand around the throttle.

Another point is some of the Honda grips are only 180 degree so if they have been put on not facing the rider then you will not get the same heat.

Guest goldfish

My Honda heated grips have more than 3 heat settings but each setting applies to both sides so, no, they can't be set separately.

That said, the right always "appears" warmer as my throttle hand moves less than my left hand so keeping the toasty warmth inside. Rogue's comments above might also have some merit.

Rev Ken

Although there are only three lights, you'll find there are six settings as each push of the button first halves the light brightness and on the second push it goes out showing two lights, and so on....

I believe Phil (Rogue) to be correct. The left grip conducts more heat away into the handlebar (especially noticeable on alloy bars compared to steel, BTW). The makers normally allow for this, obviously, but don't always get it right. Even Honda! :)

Wedgepilot

I have the Honda heated grips on my 700X and they both seem the same temperature. Then again, it's DCT, so my left hand doesn't move much :-)

Englishman

Although there are only three lights, you'll find there are six settings as each push of the button first halves the light brightness and on the second push it goes out showing two lights, and so on....

There is one illumination of a status lamp (flashing) to indicate one of three heat settings and status, is that what you mean?  At least that's what my Honda heated grips do I think

Mike5100

Are you sure ken,  that would be interesting if it's true.  But on my official honda nc grips in order tto change from hottest to second hottest I am fairly sure I have to hold the button for at least a couple of seconds.  ie a quick press has no effect at all (but I will check)

Mike

Guest sykospain

George:

Surely your sentence:

"if you grip the throttle all the way round you get more head as opposed to maybe covering the clutch and only having 1/2 your hand.."

should read:

.."if you grip her ponytail all the way round you get more head as opposed to maybe covering her crotch and only having 1/2 your hand..."

I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Rev Ken

There is one illumination of a status lamp (flashing) to indicate one of three heat settings and status, is that what you mean?  At least that's what my Honda heated grips do I think

I was not quite right as there are five settings, the sixth one being 'off'! When you first push the button you get three bright red lights; that is the highest setting. Press it again and the top light dims, but remains on, that is the second highest setting. Press it a third time and the top light goes off leaving two bright lights - and so on.

Guest garcher

So, one long press turns the grips on and sets them to full heat. A second long press turns them down a notch. A third long press turns them down to their lowest setting. A fourth long press turns them off altogether! The light that's in the button flashes III III III or II II II or I I I if that makes any sense (not that that matters)...

There is a marked difference between right and left, a fair few degrees! I did a 30 mile motorway run the other day at a steady 60 and made sure both hands were similarly applied to the grips. When I got to journeys end and shoved my hands one at a time down the back of my wife's jeans she didn't utter a word with the right hand but let out a rather loud squeal with the left! So at journeys end there is quite a bit of difference between left and right..

I'm wondering if its just the heat transmission thing?!? Maybe take the left bar end out and shove it full of cotton rag or something to limit heat transmission.. Or see if the left one can be modded to have similar insulation to the right??

Cheers

I am certain there are merely 3 settings for the grips. High-medium-low and then off. Okay, admittedly that's 4.

As far as one grip being hotter than the other I can recommend this: measure with a laster thermometer or other accurate device.

If there is a significant difference in heat (accounting for the aforementioned plastic between the handlebar and the grip) you are likely to experience imminent grip failure.

I say this as what you are experiencing mirrors my own experience. For a time, one grip was significantly hotter than the other….until they failed.

They were replaced under warranty-oddly enough the style of the switch changed slightly.

I wonder why they don't insulate the bar ends…I was thinking some spray foam in the last 6 or 8 inches of the tubular bars would tend to hold the heat in a little better. Yes? No?

Englishman

I agree. three heat settings

sandalfarm

George:

Surely your sentence:

"if you grip the throttle all the way round you get more head as opposed to maybe covering the clutch and only having 1/2 your hand.."

Did you used to work for Bernard Manning or write confessions of a window cleaner?

should read:

.."if you grip her ponytail all the way round you get more head as opposed to maybe covering her crotch and only having 1/2 your hand..."

I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

glencoeman

So, I've got what I think are Honda grip heaters. The activation button is on the left hand control set and has 3 settings...

The issue I have is the right grip is always an order of magnitude hotter than the left. I've had a poke around in the manual but it doesn't mention the grip heaters anywhere...

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the temperatures of the left and right grips?

Cheers :)

(I leave the innuendo puns on the title to you guys)

If you have a centre stand, you may (not knowingly aware that you're doing it) be twisting the left hand handlebar as you put the bike onto the stand. Was a common problem with BMW's years ago - the heated grips used to stop working completely on the left side if you used the centre stand frequently.

Mike5100

If you have a centre stand, you may (not knowingly aware that you're doing it) be twisting the left hand handlebar as you put the bike onto the stand. Was a common problem with BMW's years ago - the heated grips used to stop working completely on the left side if you used the centre stand frequently.

wow - that's worth watching.  My honda grips were fitted by the Honda dealer and they gave me the instructions that came with them.  Can't find them now, but as far as I recall there was no mention of individual adjustment.  FWIW my left one gets cooler than the right one, but I am positive it's because I take my hand off every now and then and the cold airflow quickly cools it and gives it a much harder task to get back to where the throttle grip is.  When I keep both hands permanently on the grips I have never noticed any difference.

Mike

Mike5100

I had forgotten this thing about the red light functioning as a low voltage warning - and from the pic above it does this even of the heated grips are switched off.

So it's very comforting that the warning flashing red led has NEVER come on for me in 3 winters despite me using the heated grips at the same time as a full heated jacket, heated gloves, heated long johns and heated socks .... and occasionally a satnav.  I think that must answer the question about the capabliities of the NC's charging system - or am I being naive.?

Mike

The wires coming out of your switch/ controller. 1 lot goes to power the other 2 go to each hand grip. Swop these two around and see if it's the left grip that now gets warmer. If it is them the controller is feeding the hot one first and needs changing.

Mike5100

Good thinking Robin - if Honda already realise that they have to make the left one hotter because of the conduction problem, and the dealer has connected the wires the wrong way round the error will be doubled.  Mind you I would have expected Honda to make such a problem impossible by using different shaped connectors for the left and right feed.

Mike

Heh, heh,  heh.

"If the grip heater becomes abnormal, please consult with your dealer."

What is it exactly, that defines abnormal?

Railing away at invisible motorcyclists in the middle of a rest area in the middle of the night? Talking to oneself in the helmet?

Guest garcher

I hardly ever use the centre stand...