dct recalibration for 2016 bike

Mike5100

Mike5100

Does anyone know if the procedure is the same for the latest bike (I am still waiting for my workshop manual ordered about a month ago)?

I have noticed that sometimes the dct is still pushing as I come to a stop whereas on my previous 2 bikes I never noticed this.  I have also noticed a roughness at very low speeds, and think this might be connected.  When I first got the bike I was impressed with how smooth the reprogramming for a softer clutch at low speeds had seemed, so I think something has changed and maybe recalibration will help.
Mike
Mike5100

Hi Mike, sorry I can't help, but my gripe is the same as yours.

Is yours the 2016 bike Stuart?

Mike

Guest machinman

No, mines a 15 and the low speed characteristics have always concerned me. For this reason, I always leave in manual in at sort of traffic or slow riding.

larryblag

Strange - never had that effect so far...throttle cable stretched / shortened ?

Alan's right, make sure your throttle free play is correct (I forget what the correct range is, but it's in the owner's manual). Adjust if required at the twist grip end.

Mike5100

Hi guys - thanks for the advice.  but I was really after knowing if anyone had tried the old version reset on the new 2016 bike without it causing any issues

Thanks

Mike

Gerrymac

Hi Mike just try disconnnecting the battery for 30mins then reconnect and go for a run using all the gear modes...

Mike5100

Does that really do it Gerry?  I wonder why it was so complicated on the older models?

Mike

gardener

After contacting Dobles on the gear problem on my new nc750x dct 2016 version, they sent me the sequence for the dct.I have not tried it yet but it is as follows.The guy on the phone checked with the mechanics before he sent it to me but it is as follows;

Ignition off

Step 1:Hold down the D button while turning on the ignition on, do not release the D button until the engine management light goes out

Step 2 After releasing  the D button, press the D button and N buttons in the following sequence

D D N D N

Step 3 Turn the ignition OFF

sTEP 4 , Turn the ignition back on and check gear change is working.

Hope that helps.

Mike5100

After contacting Dobles on the gear problem on my new nc750x dct 2016 version, they sent me the sequence for the dct.I have not tried it yet but it is as follows.The guy on the phone checked with the mechanics before he sent it to me but it is as follows;

Ignition off

Step 1:Hold down the D button while turning on the ignition on, do not release the D button until the engine management light goes out

Step 2 After releasing  the D button, press the D button and N buttons in the following sequence

D D N D N

Step 3 Turn the ignition OFF

sTEP 4 , Turn the ignition back on and check gear change is working.

Hope that helps.

Brilliant Gardener.  I will try that tomorrow

Mike

Mike5100

Hmmmm ... just got my hard copy of the 2016 workshop manual and there is a difference to the procedure quoted by Dobies.  Looks like you have to hold the throttle wideopen and only close it after pressing the last N as above.

Mike

• Like 1
gardener

I have not done the reset yet Mike.I will give them a call on Monday.I will contact Honda UK on Monday and let them know.

Did you do the reset as in your manual Mike?

Mike5100

Not yet - just been reading through it 

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Mike5100

exactly the same as for the earlier bikes but you have to hold the throttle wide open while you press the DDNDN sequence.. You also need to remember that the engine needs to have reached normal working temperature before you switch off and start the reset procedure.

Mike

Mike5100

I don't know.  At the same time I topped up the engine oil by 300cc so I changed two variables at once.  But whatever was the problem it felts much better afterwards.

Mike

Just had an interesting test.

I'd thought my clutch take up had been getting a bit abrupt recently. The initial movement would be a smooth clutch slip but then it would bite quite sharply, which spoilt the slow speed manoeuvring and for example when making a right turn at low speed.

I did the DCT clutch initiation procedure, bearing in mind that this is purely for the clutch take up and nothing as such to do with gear shift patterns etc.

Just been out for a run, and what a difference. Now I won't say dramatic, because it wasn't all that bad before, but the issues are completely gone. It now slips nicely as you pull away and you don't feel a "bite" at all. The 1/2/3 shifts are definitely quieter, still heard as a clonk but not as hard, and not felt as much. 4/5/6 are almost imperceptible. Also the button forced downshifts are less hard.

I would say it's now back to how Honda engineers intended it to be. I now realise how it has gradually changed over the miles without me really noticing it. I think I'll get into the habit of doing the reset after each oil change.

If you have any concerns at all about the clutch take up, slipping for manoeuvring etc, then do the initialisation procedure, it's free!

MikeBike

I did the DCT clutch initiation procedure, bearing in mind that this is purely for the clutch take up and nothing as such to do with gear shift patterns etc.

Good tip -thanks. The procedure is described in the service manual section 12-120

Edited by MikeBike

It literally takes a couple of minutes, give it a go. Remember it needs to be at normal temperature first.

Edited by embee
Guest machinman

Regarding the reset procedure, should it be done with the enine running or just ignition on?

I've just done it with the ignition on, engine not running but up to temperature and didn't get anything flashing on the dash.

Followed book 12-120

Edited by machinman

I have the NC700 X/S manual, the procedure is on 12-120 onwards (121 and 122). Paraphrasing the procedure and clarifying some questions raised  .......

Have engine at normal temperature, check fan is not running, select neutral, switch off using key (NOT the kill switch).

Don't touch the throttle during the following procedure. The 2016 appears to be different for this.

Hold gear selector button on D and turn on ignition

Continue to hold D until yellow check engine light (MIL) goes out, then release it

press selector button in quick succession in the sequence DDNDN

In the gear display the D and S will show, and the dash ( - ) should blink at 2 sec intervals

the system is now ready for learning the clutch initialisation

press the starter and start the engine

wait for the D&S and the " - " to go out.

Initialisation is now complete, you can stop the engine and then use it as normal.

Note that if you have changed the ECU or clutch pack then other things can flash, but for a simple reset the above should describe it.

If the dash " - " flashes rapidly at 0.5sec intervals or the D&S don't go out the procedure has failed, and you should go though the procedure again.