Only 56 mpg ?

F.Honda750xd

F.Honda750xd

Wondering if anyone has  similar figures. I live in London and hardly use the bike it's done 1.5k and I have only seen it at 56mpg in town. It rose to 66 on a short burst on motorway and I keep reading from the forum that everyone has fantastic figures touching 80 all day every day. Maybe they live in rural or pound the motorway every day. I hope I'm not missing some fault on the bike. I'm not unduly heavy handed either. Any ideas? 

Callisidrin

I'm in London, commute daily and return on average 75, out on a good country run I get 80+.

are you just looking at the average on the clocks? This isn't a true reflection, you need to work out the mpg on how many miles you do between fill up and how much you put in to fill the tank. The more you do this the more accurate your actual mpg will be.

You're not the only one as others have commented similarly in the past on here, though the majority seem to get a lot higher than 56.

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

Mine dropped from early 80s to mid 70s I'm just thinking it might be the cold weather, mind, mine is all country roads and a little motorways.

If that's a correct mileage that you've worked out form use then something is wrong . I'm as heavy handed as is possible without getting nicked in town , try to double the sign when i can :0) and lowest I see is 62. Blast up to sunny southend with the commute boys and still see late 60 early 70mpg

F.Honda750xd

Well I know it takes a while for me to refill but I'll do a more accurate fuel calculation based on fuel used. Funny i just assumed the clock was accurate.

I'm not expecting great things from my new NC750x when I pick it up. I have a four mile commute. Currently get 41mpg from a CBF500. I once got 24mpg out of a Blackbird on the same route :fear:

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 1
Guest aldmannie
1 hour ago, Trumpet said:

I once got 24mpg out of a Blackbird on the same route :fear:

Not bad, I once went from Glasgow to Edinburgh and almost made it to Stirling before switching to reserve on my Z1300.

It worked out somewhere around 15mpg for that trip.

Callisidrin
1 hour ago, Trumpet said:

I'm not expecting great things from my new NC750x when I pick it up. I have a four mile commute. Currently get 41mpg from a CBF500. I once got 24mpg out of a Blackbird on the same route :fear:

My commute is 5.5 each way and I still get around 70 on average based on the fill ups where I've only been commuting

• Like 2
Guest machinman
12 hours ago, F.Honda750xd said:

Wondering if anyone has  similar figures. I live in London and hardly use the bike it's done 1.5k and I have only seen it at 56mpg in town. It rose to 66 on a short burst on motorway and I keep reading from the forum that everyone has fantastic figures touching 80 all day every day. Maybe they live in rural or pound the motorway every day. I hope I'm not missing some fault on the bike. I'm not unduly heavy handed either. Any ideas? 

At the weekend, why don't you go on a totally different leisurely ride and  differnt route and see if your figures change.  That will perhaps give you a bigger picture.

trisaki

Get out and do a longer run and up into the higher gears on a steady throttle   -  once you  have more miles on the clock  it will improve also better once temperature  warmer 

F.Honda750xd

Ok dually noted I'll keep my Receits and on the next fill up do the sums. Also take it out for a good run on the weekend. Weather permitting. !

Grumpy old man
4 hours ago, F.Honda750xd said:

Ok dually noted I'll keep my Receits and on the next fill up do the sums. Also take it out for a good run on the weekend. Weather permitting. !

Good luck

Andy m

Its easy to get wrong with just an awkward pump that won't brim the tank or a forecourt with a slope. Don't panic until the third receipt is in.

I once got 19 mpg out of a K100 outfit. The vast amount of camping kit, duty free, blizzard and ferry related lateness were the primary cause.

Andy

outrunner

Lowest I have ever had from mine was low sixties caning it back from Wales, mostly motorway and carrying top box and tent.

Andy.

My typical daily in/out of London commute gives me only 14-14.5 miles per litre, which is around 64mpg. I did wonder whether there was something wrong with my bike too, but this evening was a typical ride home from central London, and I felt like I literally had to stop at every single traffic light on route #grrr - but a recent trip to Wales and back got me a much nicer 18-18.5 miles per litre, which is a much better 80+mpg. I'm not bothering to gauge it by mpg anymore, just keeping an eye on amt of miles covered (Trip A) against amt of fuel consumed, so I know when to expect to last fuel bar to start flashing. 

I still haven't worked out the "disco dash" far to many buttons and I can't be bothered to stand for half an hour pressing them,  the hand book is in Klingon.

But I stick between 13 or 14 ltrs in the tank depending on how long the Res light has been flashing before I notice it. Oops :ermm:

And generally I get around 150 miles before Im looking at putting some more in or my backside and hip is telling me to get off and walk about a bit. Which was the same as my PC 800. Same power more weight. So I suspect I'm riding a bit more aggressively up through the gears on the throttle on the NC than I did on the PC. 

Whenever I've had to commute less than 5 miles I've used a push bike, an engine is hardly going to warm up and will never run efficiently on a short commute. Then get out for a couple of hundred miles at the weekend and enjoy the bike.

• 2 weeks later...
Trumpet
On 23/02/2017 at 09:03, Rick said:

Whenever I've had to commute less than 5 miles I've used a push bike, an engine is hardly going to warm up and will never run efficiently on a short commute. Then get out for a couple of hundred miles at the weekend and enjoy the bike.

I would but my commute involves a constant climb from work to home that the Tour De France would be proud of. So Motorcycle it is. Plus in summer, the Journey home is always much longer distance wise, nothing like a good blast over the hills.

• Like 1
Croydonscooter

Hi, just to add my thoughts.  Doesn't a new engine take a while until everything sort of 'beds' in and loosens up a little?  I once fitted a new piston and cylinder barrel, gaskets etc. At first the bike didn't even go up to more than 7000 rpm and it used to go up to 8500.  Also the mpg wasn't as good as it used to be then after about 2000 miles everything seemed to have less resistance and it all the figures were as they should be.  Just an idea.  

Just on the note of the fuel bars flashing..   On my 'smooter' the bars seem to jump for being two quite quickly to the bottom red (ish) one and flashing.   When it flashes does anyone know how many litres are left or is there a further warning light?  Or does it flash faster?  

Thanks and good luck with your mpg figures!

embee
1 hour ago, Croydonscooter said:

Just on the note of the fuel bars flashing..   On my 'smooter' the bars seem to jump for being two quite quickly to the bottom red (ish) one and flashing.   When it flashes does anyone know how many litres are left or is there a further warning light?  Or does it flash faster?  

that was one of the more annoying features of the 700 fuel gauge, it goes directly from 2 black bars (plenty of fuel) to flashing one bar (panic, running out). That all changed at the 750.

As for fuel used, mine starts flashing at a predictable and repeatable 10.5 lts used (fill to just above the baffle, bike on the centre stand).. Best thing is to fill up as soon as you possibly can after the flash starts and see how much you put in. After a couple of times you should fid out how consistent it is, and what your typical miles/litre usage is. Then you can assess how many miles you can "safely" do after the flash starts. I usually try to fill after about 20 or so miles from start of flash, so put in 11.5-12 lts typically. That gives me a safe 20-30 mls margin.

• Like 1
Croydonscooter
36 minutes ago, embee said:

that was one of the more annoying features of the 700 fuel gauge, it goes directly from 2 black bars (plenty of fuel) to flashing one bar (panic, running out). That all changed at the 750.

As for fuel used, mine starts flashing at a predictable and repeatable 10.5 lts used (fill to just above the baffle, bike on the centre stand).. Best thing is to fill up as soon as you possibly can after the flash starts and see how much you put in. After a couple of times you should fid out how consistent it is, and what your typical miles/litre usage is. Then you can assess how many miles you can "safely" do after the flash starts. I usually try to fill after about 20 or so miles from start of flash, so put in 11.5-12 lts typically. That gives me a safe 20-30 mls margin.

Thanks for this.  I am putting in 10L each time and on my three runs since buying the bike each time I get 125 miles so it works out about the same as you 56 mpg.  But there is always plenty of fuel still in the tank but as time goes on I will learn about keeping the revs down and using the power more efficiently.  Hopefully I can achieve 70  mpg or better.  

Grumpy old man

Hi 

I went for a 209.8 mile ride on Sunday on one tank when I refilled it took 11.86 ltr leaving me just short of 2.5 ltr remaining the average mpg read 80.9, I've not done the maths to see how accurate the mpg was but I'm happy. All rural riding speed limits give or take 10%.

• Like 1
KingJames
On 21/02/2017 at 16:20, F.Honda750xd said:

I'm the same, 55 to 60 on the clocks when doing a 17 mile London commute in S mode.  Too much time at and leaving red lights don't help.

PoppetM
On 07/03/2017 at 16:02, Croydonscooter said:

Thanks for this.  I am putting in 10L each time and on my three runs since buying the bike each time I get 125 miles so it works out about the same as you 56 mpg.  But there is always plenty of fuel still in the tank but as time goes on I will learn about keeping the revs down and using the power more efficiently.  Hopefully I can achieve 70  mpg or better.  

I usually get between 192-198 miles out of approximately 11 litres when a I fill it back up. A mix of country roads, motorways and London filtering make up my commute.  And I don't really tootle along at a sedate pace 👹

• Like 1
On 7 March 2017 at 15:24, embee said:

Sadly, Murray, it didn't. That's exactly how the fuel guage on my '14 750 works. From two bars to flashing red. Now I'm used to it It's not a big problem but it drove me mad when I first got it. The biggest confusion was that the trip mileage disappeared to be replaced with '0.0' which, I understand, is some sort of 'fuel used' counter. I use the term 'understand' in it's loosest sense, BTW, as I don't really get it, but can't be arsed to sit down and plough through several pages of instructions.

• Like 1