Only 56 mpg ?

F.Honda750xd

Reckless

On a 20 mile shake down ride yesterday a mixed bag of town and country road with a very short run on the motorway about 4 mile, the mpg was only 77 mpg, this was the first ride since last October when the mpg was in the low 80's time will tell if the better figures will return

Guest Mac750
On 09/03/2017 at 07:54, Tex said:

Sadly, Murray, it didn't. That's exactly how the fuel guage on my '14 750 works. From two bars to flashing red. Now I'm used to it It's not a big problem but it drove me mad when I first got it. The biggest confusion was that the trip mileage disappeared to be replaced with '0.0' which, I understand, is some sort of 'fuel used' counter. I use the term 'understand' in it's loosest sense, BTW, as I don't really get it, but can't be arsed to sit down and plough through several pages of instructions.

My instructions book is in Klingon. 

Kaplah Stovokor Nabah 

Press the LHD button for mode indication function this can be set to four functions and colours and boring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :cry:

SteveThackery
On 10/03/2017 at 13:54, Reckless said:

On a 20 mile shake down ride yesterday a mixed bag of town and country road with a very short run on the motorway about 4 mile, the mpg was only 77 mpg, this was the first ride since last October when the mpg was in the low 80's time will tell if the better figures will return

Crikey, you must be a very gentle rider to get 80+mpg consistently.  The only time I got that was when I was running it in.

On my regular commute I get 69-70mpg.  That involves a few miles of motorway work and a few miles of heavy town traffic.

I must admit that the 56mpg the OP reports does seem pretty low.  However, like others have suggested, I would just wait for a while to see how it pans out.  Also, the advice to measure the consumption on a long run is good - I strongly urge the OP to do that.

FWIW, I find that the mpg shown on the clock is pretty much the same as I calculate.  So much so that I don't bother to calculate any more.  There is no good reason why the clock reading should be inaccurate.

SteveThackery

The biggest confusion was that the trip mileage disappeared to be replaced with '0.0' which, I understand, is some sort of 'fuel used' counter. I use the term 'understand' in it's loosest sense, BTW, as I don't really get it, but can't be arsed to sit down and plough through several pages of instructions.

No, you've nailed it, mate.  It shows how many gallons (or litres if you've got yours set to metric) you have used since the low fuel warning started.  I guess by the time it gets to 0.5 you need to start getting worried.

• Like 1
PoppetM

The biggest confusion was that the trip mileage disappeared to be replaced with '0.0' which, I understand, is some sort of 'fuel used' counter. I use the term 'understand' in it's loosest sense, BTW, as I don't really get it, but can't be arsed to sit down and plough through several pages of instructions.

When it hits 0,0 it starts to count how many miles and how many litres you have used since it changed to reserve. So if you know your reserve tank is 3litres, it tells you how much of that 3litres you have already got through. 

I work on the basis my car has approx 50miles left when the light hits red, so with the bike once it goes to 0.0 I gauge how much of my journey is left and where to fill up, when it gets to 25miles I start to get rather nervous.... but that's me being a wuss. 

The trio computer returns once petrol has been filled. I have only learnt this by trying to clear the trip computer on the forecourt before filling it, computer says no....!

• Like 2
Reckless
14 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

Crikey, you must be a very gentle rider to get 80+mpg consistently.  The only time I got that was when I was running it in.

On my regular commute I get 69-70mpg.  That involves a few miles of motorway work and a few miles of heavy town traffic.

I must admit that the 56mpg the OP reports does seem pretty low.  However, like others have suggested, I would just wait for a while to see how it pans out.  Also, the advice to measure the consumption on a long run is good - I strongly urge the OP to do that.

FWIW, I find that the mpg shown on the clock is pretty much the same as I calculate.  So much so that I don't bother to calculate any more.  There is no good reason why the clock reading should be inaccurate.

My previous figures were taken on my daily commute, 5:30am on country roads, through town on single and dual carriage way, speeds relative to the conditions and the law, also solo rides up to places such as squires cafe mainly on the A1 speeds in line with conditions again

Hopefully I'll get out today again to squires, in fun mode

Edited by Reckless
Reckless
8 hours ago, Reckless said:

My previous figures were taken on my daily commute, 5:30am on country roads, through town on single and dual carriage way, speeds relative to the conditions and the law, also solo rides up to places such as squires cafe mainly on the A1 speeds in line with conditions again

Hopefully I'll get out today again to squires, in fun mode

Made it up to squires cafe, not on the NC this time though, took the pan out for an airing it hadn't been run since September last year and was a bit reluctant to run on all four, even with a dose of fresh petrol, running fine now though after the ride, didn't see one NC up there but plenty of variety otherwise 

Guest Mac750

The instruction book for the "disco dash" is in Klingon " Stovocor Naplah Kaplah"

But this thread informed me you can change the fuel figures from ltrs to mpg so I fiddled with the dash and found that  on my last trip it returned 75.5 mpg. That was mixed riding and some 85 mph bits and more moderate speeds. So I'm happy with that. 

Graham
On February 21, 2017 at 11:20, F.Honda750xd said:

Wondering if anyone has  similar figures. I live in London and hardly use the bike it's done 1.5k and I have only seen it at 56mpg in town. It rose to 66 on a short burst on motorway and I keep reading from the forum that everyone has fantastic figures touching 80 all day every day. Maybe they live in rural or pound the motorway every day. I hope I'm not missing some fault on the bike. I'm not unduly heavy handed either. Any ideas? 

Since I have had the bike last year, the best tank I got was 149 miles before it ran out coasting into the gas station. That equals out to 42.5 mpg. Most of this is riding around downtown.

I have a small fuel container that I am going to take with me this spring and just get on the highway and cruise until it runs out. But that's not happening until it gets over 15°C all day.

42.5 mpg?! That's disappointing. 

• Like 1
Graham
9 minutes ago, Tex said:

42.5 mpg?! That's disappointing. 

It gets the same mileage that my '78 KZ650 use to get. 

9 minutes ago, Graham said:

It gets the same mileage that my '78 KZ650 use to get. 

Exactly. I'm not sure I would be happy with that. It's a much more modern design than the old KZ650, designed with economy in mind and should do way more.

• Like 1
Graham
1 minute ago, Tex said:

Exactly. I'm not sure I would be happy with that. It's a much more modern design than the old KZ650, designed with economy in mind and should do way more.

The bike only had 2,000 km on it when I bought it. It has 5,300 km on it now. New plugs and filters next month, then I will see what comes of it. By the way, what does a gallon of gas cost over there.

My 93 octane fuel is somewhere between $5 and $7 a gallon. Closer to $5 lately.

Currently, our unleaded fuel is about £1.16 a litre. I will let you do the conversions to gallons and dollars! :)

• Like 1
Guest architectural_phil
On 3/9/2017 at 07:31, PoppetM said:

I usually get between 192-198 miles out of approximately 11 litres when a I fill it back up. A mix of country roads, motorways and London filtering make up my commute.  And I don't really tootle along at a sedate pace 👹

Murray,

I agree with and regularly achieve these figures - 11 litres = 2.41 Gallons therefore 200M at 82.9M/gal. (I enjoy the mental maths as i ride off from the pump... brings a smile to the face (usually!)) I dont find any major drift in figures either, be it a 'fist full' or sedate. May be worth a visit to the supplier to discuss adjustments or over tightened issues? Production line manufacturing is too consistent for this to be a variable - unless you bought a Volkswagon... #fuel use

embee
7 hours ago, Graham said:

The bike only had 2,000 km on it when I bought it. It has 5,300 km on it now. New plugs and filters next month, then I will see what comes of it. By the way, what does a gallon of gas cost over there.

Have to just be careful we're singing from the same hymn sheet here. US or UK gallons? Better to talk in litres, saves any confusion.

Also, "octane"? Is that RON or (R+M)/2?

In most of Europe the standard pump fuel is 95RON, which would be around 91 (R+M)/2, "93" would either be lower than our standard, though still above Honda's recommended 91RON minimum, or if (R+M)/2 that would be our "super" at 97-98RON.

.... oh, by the way, the plugs are iridium as standard and good for at least 32k miles, no need to replace early if it's running fine.

Edited by embee

I would check for sticky brake pistons , which my bike at least is prone to ,especially the front and always needs a thorough annual strip down and clean and much pushing in and out of the pistons before they really free up  and double check there's no resting on the rear brake pedal . I ride mine pretty hard, and find avoiding hard braking into corners makes quite a difference to economy, but then I like hard braking as the bike brakes like a super bike . But its cost me a new rear brake disc at 54000 miles ,and probably the front too if it wasn't replaced with warranty at 24000 miles, and that's using soft pads. But 70mpg plus should be easily achievable. I am not sure what a damp or dirty air filter would do . I found a mouse nest on my cbf125 air filter ! It definitely ran better when that was cleaned out !!!

Tyre pressure is something always worth checking . Tuck elbows in ! Lie flat on the tank !  Panniers are bad too, but back box not so bad it seems for me . Because of this I have a crate that is attached to the top of the crate on my rear givi box holder ,you can swivel it up for refueling and it acts as a back rest too.,looks a bit odd but that's never bothered me. Doubles up as a seat when removed ! or handy camping carry all .

I suspect short journeys wont be good either . Its wind here in Scotland ,ive had over a 100mpg with a following 50mph wind ,weird watching leaves overtake you in the gusts at 60mph ! and 45mpg against riding near flat out.(really tiring).

Anyone else ride faster in bad weather just to get home ? when really you should be riding slower .ho hum.

Possibly tyre choice too ,all the little things can add up , I guess even broad shoulders !

• Like 1
Graham
14 hours ago, embee said:

Have to just be careful we're singing from the same hymn sheet here. US or UK gallons? Better to talk in litres, saves any confusion.

Also, "octane"? Is that RON or (R+M)/2?

In most of Europe the standard pump fuel is 95RON, which would be around 91 (R+M)/2, "93" would either be lower than our standard, though still above Honda's recommended 91RON minimum, or if (R+M)/2 that would be our "super" at 97-98RON.

.... oh, by the way, the plugs are iridium as standard and good for at least 32k miles, no need to replace early if it's running fine.

No problem talking in litres, that's what we measure in Canada, along with kilometres. I was trying to convert to gallons for all my new U.K friends!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Reckless
On 12 March 2017 at 17:06, Reckless said:

Made it up to squires cafe, not on the NC this time though, took the pan out for an airing it hadn't been run since September last year and was a bit reluctant to run on all four, even with a dose of fresh petrol, running fine now though after the ride, didn't see one NC up there but plenty of variety otherwise 

Enjoyed the ride to squires today that spring sunshine makes all the difference, on a mixed blend of roads the mpg has only gone up a little bit, I'm now on 78mpg, 

• Like 1
michael
On 14 March, 2017 at 08:54, Graham said:

Hi Graham.

93 octane for the NC? You may be better off with "regular," fuel (87 pon) as recommended by the manufacturer.

Here on the west side of the country, it's $1.19 - $1.29 per litter (CDN).  Recall the Imperial gallon where most of our friends is larger than "our," gallon we buy across the line in the US. Thus, the higher MPG figures than we are accustomed to, especially when comparing with US magazines/forums.

I use the NC for commuting and touring - consumption varies widely depending on conditions. I find the uh, modest horsepower is taxed by elevation, load, inclination and of course speed and headwind.

Easy throttle, lower elevation, no headwind and the twin is happy and economical. touring at 4,000+ feet, uphill climb, headwind and pfft. I'm looking for fuel much more quickly.

Still and all, fun.

• Like 1
Graham
7 hours ago, michael said:

Hi Graham.

93 octane for the NC? You may be better off with "regular," fuel (87 pon) as recommended by the manufacturer.

Here on the west side of the country, it's $1.19 - $1.29 per litter (CDN).  Recall the Imperial gallon where most of our friends is larger than "our," gallon we buy across the line in the US. Thus, the higher MPG figures than we are accustomed to, especially when comparing with US magazines/forums.

I use the NC for commuting and touring - consumption varies widely depending on conditions. I find the uh, modest horsepower is taxed by elevation, load, inclination and of course speed and headwind.

Easy throttle, lower elevation, no headwind and the twin is happy and economical. touring at 4,000+ feet, uphill climb, headwind and pfft. I'm looking for fuel much more quickly.

Still and all, fun.

Thanks for the info. My plan is once the weather gets better I'm going to fill the tank and my reserve gas bottle and head east on the 401 highway and hope to get to Kingston. That's about 270km. My best tank is 241.