rust on bottom yoke

Guest phatstorage

Guest phatstorage

Hello :phone:

New to this forum..................

Been using my bike (NC S) for a couple of months now, been wet, very wet, I ride and keep it in all weather so a chain oiler was first on order, what I didn't expect was a fine line of rust just above the bottom yoke, it's visible on the fork, it's not much but enough to concern me this early on in it's age.

Spoken to my dealer, they want to look at it and advise a possible replacement yoke under warranty.

This is something that I'd normally deal with using acf50 but for now, I'll see what can be done as a permanent measure.

Any other naked or faired owners spotted this or anything else like it?

:welcome:

I'd be tempted to just sort it.

I agree, it shouldn't happen like.

Argyll

I know that the weather's been bad - just means you have to run a rag over your bike/s a bit more often. Doesn't sound like a manufacturing fault, it will happen to any bike in similar circumstances.

Will Autosol metal cleaner keep it looking new as it is just surface rust.

Rev Ken

I know that the weather's been bad - just means you have to run a rag over your bike/s a bit more often. Doesn't sound like a manufacturing fault, it will happen to any bike in similar circumstances.

I don't agree - bikes should not rust just because they get wet. The idea that it is necessary to dry a bike off when it gets wet is not my idea of 'fit for purpose'! My old Brit bikes didn't have that problem, and so far neither does my three year old 15,000 mile Honda CBF1000 - and I ride in the rain - most of the time this year...... :pinch:

Rocker66

I fully agree with Rev Ken

These things aren't built with "Sheffields' finest" you know.... unfortunately, nor is anything else these days. :(

You have to adapt, poor quality materials need looking after!

Guest fatowl

I don't think it should be rusting after so short a time. I think The NCs are built down to a price, and quality of finish has suffered. The demo bikes at my local dealers are all showing signs of corrosion. I haven't bought one yet, and this is one of the main reasons. Otherwise, I really like them.

Edited by fatowl
Guest Smurf

It shouldn't be rusting after such a short time, unfortunately bikers seem to accept this poor finish whereas we wouldn't in a car

A bike sold as a commuter in particular should not be rusting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Big Den

I have a feeling these are going to require a lot of protection before the salt arrives or they will corroded very quickly which is bad news for current owners if they get a rep for rotting :ermm:

Guest billc700s

Hello, I have the same on mine but it does not look like it is from the fork leg. I think it is from the bottom yoke which is cast steel, all cast metal will do this as it is a " cheeper". metal to metal contact and slight movement when first assembled will leave very tiny waste which will "rust", the fork leg is a harder steel so chances are the waste will be from the cast yokes. The best bet is a dose of acf 50 on both legs at the top and bottom of the yokes just to make sure and keep an eye on it. I have only had mine over a dry weekend so was supprised to see it but it is not serious so no panic.

• 1 month later...

As a side point: How would you rate the build quality on the bikes? Is there anything that you think is more subseptable that others? I plan to have the NCS for many years and look after her to the best of my ability. A tad worried about this now.

Where are the NC's built ?

My S-Wing was built in Italy, so it's a real Italian scoot.

Where are the NC's built ?

Kumamoto, I think.

I'm sure I read in a magazine somewhere that they are made in Spain, but I don't know how true that is....

There was a big sign on the crate of mine saying made in Japan......

Rocker66

Ah but where was the bike made? :)

I can remember a time when the Japanese first started copying western good that they actually named a facility Usa just so they could put made in USA on their items

That just about answers that then......lol

Guest scrumpymike

I have seen the same defect reported by one other UK owner - perhaps on the international NC forum, which I initially subscribed to before I found this one. I remember his dealer seemed to be taking it seriously but don't know what the final outcome was.

Guest Lockon2

Ah but where was the bike made? :)

I can remember a time when the Japanese first started copying western good that they actually named a facility Usa just so they could put made in USA on their items

I have a toy train made about 45 years ago and it was made in the USA, but the Japanese one.

• 2 months later...