rust on bottom yoke

Guest phatstorage

Guest johnakay

Autosol metal cleaner is to abrasive .OK on bad chrome etc.

use brasso cleaner that will clean light surface rust off

this is also good for cleaning light scratch marks of your painted plastic.

again 'T' cut is to abrasive.what ever you do don't use this as it take off the clear coating etc.

its seem I'm know it all but I just trying to be helpful.

whether you take note of my advice or not it is your choice!

Guest phatstorage

After waiting to see what happens after blasting it with some acf50 and letting it get rained on and filthy, It seems to have cleared up and stopped rusting, so, it worked.

A thing I had a day or so ago however was the ignition key sticking in the barrel after a downpour, acf50 on the key and smooth as silk.

Have decided to buy the quart bottle and keep a small pump spray in the bike's rear seat for such occasions. :D

• 3 months later...
Guest jetlink747

hi, my nc700x ,has rust on forks,1 engine bolt,clutch cable linkage, crome bolts on handle bar by honda sign, i got bike in september 2012.

steelhorseuk

Thats why mine is covered in general purpose and lithium grease in all exposed places!

None of my bikes have rusted. Might not look particularly nice but seals out wet, salt and anything else.

My dealer made a comment last time that not many take that kind of trouble.

Mark

Guest jdearauj

Thats why mine is covered in general purpose and lithium grease in all exposed places!

None of my bikes have rusted. Might not look particularly nice but seals out wet, salt and anything else.

My dealer made a comment last time that not many take that kind of trouble.

Mark

Have you got a link for this lithium grease you apply and is there any specific process you go through when applying?

I found some rust on the swingarm and my bike was coated in ACF50, but i think due to using everyday for commuting i need to put some added protection on it.

steelhorseuk

Hi JDA,

You can buy lithium or general purpose grease almost from anywhere, major high street car parts shops, DIY shops etc etc.

It is widely used to lubricate bearings and moving automative parts but also acts as a barrier against water and corrosive elements.

Make sure the metal is clean before you apply!

It wont look pretty but it will all wipe/wash off later on a summers day and you can reapply again for the winter if youre happy with the results.

If you prefer to apply more neutral coloured grease to the same effect use the general purpose type to the exposed parts like nuts and bolts and moving exposed metal parts, on your forks, yoke, around the fork seal area etc it will stop rust and corrosion as it acts as a wall between your metal and the elements.

Apply to your mono-shock suspension, swing arm area anything metal, under the engine assembly, slap it on the springs on your stand and so on ...   

(DO NOT APPLY TO YOUR BRAKE DISCS or USE ON YOUR DRIVE CHAIN!)

I use this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-16537290-500g-Muli-Puprose-Grease/dp/B005SP0MXW/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362514128&sr=8-2-fkmr1

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172551_langId_-1_categoryId_165705

It takes some work but through the years I have such good results I do it to all my bikes and never has anything rusted.  

Edited by Smudger

3 in 1 do a white lithium grease spray which I use on my bike.

Guest CBR45

I wipe down bolts, calipers, brackets etc after a winter ride with an ACF50 soaked rag.

I also spray SF365 onto the engine, rad, and swing arm linkages after a wet ride.

Bike has been used all through the winter salt, with visible lumps of salt sat on the hugger, and there is zero corrosion. ACF also stops the brown on the clock buttons, and brings up the black plastics a treat.

Edited by CBR45
shiggsy

Not had any yoke rust problems since squirting them with a bit of ACF50. I treated the whole bike to ACF50 in the summer, I wash it every Saturday and then wipe all exposed metal with an ACF50 soaked microfibre cloth.

Only bits that seems to have suffered this winter are the rear axle bolt ends and rear sprocket nuts,  the stays under the shock and the centre stand (they always do) and the centre stand spring.  

Get some ACF50 spray into the can lid them either brush the ACF50 onto where you need to or you can use a rag to wipe it on, I do this for my chain as a lubricant as its brilliant stuff. I can should last about 12 months. Google allyearbiker they have all the instructions on their website , 

steelhorseuk

ACF50 is the best and a can will last you about 12 months for £15-00 ish as you have to generally reapply it .

(except for professionally treated of course but still this will only protect your machine for a single winters riding. others may disagree.)

The grease remedy will cost you around £7.00 and a pot will last you around 5 years.

I am not a wealthy guy so my option is limited to the best I can do for the money.

Guest motorboy

Over the years I have had many bikes from Japan  that rust a little under the yoke seems the cast metal does not hold paint well in all the little places but a little model paint on a small brush fixes it right up..

When I stripped the front end of my bike down to do the headlight conversion I noticed a bit of rust on the lower yoke, there was a hole that appeared to have had the thread cut in it after it had been painted and the thread had surface rust on it. I treated it with a coat of Waxoyl to prevent any further corrosion.

• 2 years later...

I too have a rusty yoke. I have now coated it in  VP90 superspray.