NC700X DCT Gearbox issue

makman

1 hour ago, embee said:

The DCT has a diagnostic system like the engine. Interrogation should come up with the area of the fault, even if it doesn't identify the exact item at fault. Check the workshop manual. No point guessing at expensive stuff.

Exactly right. In the thread Alice says she had a fault code recorded before her repair. Dobles did the job and tried to get a contribution from Honda but they weren’t having it. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• makman

• Tex

• embee

• pjm

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mechanic contacted me.  Broken Shifter Pin!!  So diagnosis via forum was bang on the money.  £155 all in to sort. Very fair price and hopefully, weather permitting, I'll collect the bike tomorrow. I w

I could point you to a dealer. And if you mention my name they’ll give you special treatment (charge you double and frisk you when you leave..)     Good luck. 

Yebbut what year, model and most importantly what colour!!! I just cannot make up my mind!  Looks like it will be red/black/blue or a mix of the lot.

may well try going to to local Honda place and getting codes read if possible.  Might be next week as I am now working this weekend with college and next weekend as well.

• Like 1

Is the reader an OBDC reader or what?  I used to use TuneECU with my Triumphs and could interrogate the ECU for faults etc.. and clear them down.  Also map fuelling, but that is not something I'd do with the Honda.

• Like 1

Tex, thanks for Alice's thread in more detail.  It does appear to be to shifter pin from the symptoms I am having.  I'd rather do something sooner rather than later and just keep the bike as well.  I'm not one for palming off the issue onto someone else and it does not sit well with me personally.

• Like 3

Did is 4 times on the way to work today.  Getting a touch worrying.  Have decided to get it booked in and just getting quotes from mechanics.  So far I think I will go to an Honda independent who is over in Penge as it is closest to me and he did an ace job on the CBF500 I had.  Worth it.  next week as the part is not in stock and are special order from Fowlers or David Silver Spares.  Hey ho.  The diagnosis is mine, not the mechanics, to I take the risk of it not being the shifter pin.  That is only fair.  Hoping it is not the sensors as they are way more expensive and I've not got time to get it faults read.  Problem is that the fault clears after one hour anyhow and I am more than an hour from the dealer at the moment and have to time to get there anyhow!  Catch 22 situation!

• Sad 1

Dude, I’m doubtful it’s the shifter pin. They just break and leave you stranded. Or that’s my impression anyway?

if the fault can be ‘cured’ by turning it off and on again it’s electrical  not mechanical. 

It needs proper diagnosis.

Why pay to have the pin replaced if it ain’t broken? You will get a big bill and the fault will still exist!

• Like 1

Fair enough. But the others were saying that they were riding it with broken pin... it was not stranding them, but causing the issue that is described.  I'm at a loss .

Taking the advice here, diagnosis and then repair.  The shifter pin is on back order, so hopefully it may be the fix, but who knows until the dreaded faults are "read"....

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, makman said:

Taking the advice here, diagnosis and then repair.  The shifter pin is on back order, so hopefully it may be the fix, but who knows until the dreaded faults are "read"....

Good. It’s the only sensible course of action. ‘Shotgun diagnostics’ (firing new parts at a problem hoping that one will hit it) inevitably end up in increased expense and disappointments.

• Like 2

Yes. I just want the bike fixed to I can ride it and not take public transport which costs a disproportionate amount of money for the service provided.  At least the mechanics workshop is around the corner from a Tube Station, so it is not pure purgatory and I don't need to use a bus....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Defender
On 19/02/2018 at 13:33, Tex said:

Good. It’s the only sensible course of action. ‘Shotgun diagnostics’ (firing new parts at a problem hoping that one will hit it) inevitably end up in increased expense and disappointments.

I concur with Simon, throwing parts at it won't really help.

A lot of the skill in diagnosis in electronic systems is understanding how it works and what order it happens in.

I have had to remove parts that have been changed in order to find the route cause, we are lucky in that we have most parts to hand which helps enormously in eliminating possible causes.

• Like 4

Booked in for diagnosis this Friday morning.  Will leave it with the mechanic until next week as I am away on residential college weekend and at meetings Monday/Tuesday night.  Hoping it does not cost too much to sort, but it is the best and newest bike I've ever had.

• Like 2

Fingers crossed for a happy ending. 

• Like 1

Bike is with the mechanic and awaiting diagnosis now.  Left it with him on Friday morning first thing.  1/2 tank of fuel so he can ride it to duplicate the issue and then run diagnostics...  time will tell.  

• Like 2

Right. Only fault in the ECU was the front abs sensor, but not currently set.  So he is going to replace the shifter pin as nothing else is cropping up in the issues. 

I've not had the front tyre changed at all or knocked that area to my knowledge. I've cleaned the calipers and changed pads, usual stuff.  Odd one this.

I guess I will find out in due course.  At least it is in hands that can delve into the box and get back out with no parts left over.... Will report back end of the week once I've had the chance to collect the bike.  The weather has made it difficult to both work on the bike and for me to collect it. Might be able to try on Thursday, weather dependent, or it will be next week Tuesday before I get a chance to get out there.

I think that’s spot on. The shifter pin won’t leave a fault code (there isn’t a fault code for ‘bugger, something broke’) but a speed sensor would have done. 

• Like 2

The mechanic could not get to work yesterday due to snow! But he is in the workshop today and mine is the bike that gets sorted, once the workshop is warm enough.  Brrrrrrr.  Lots of snow around his area! I hope that he has a good space heater and thin warm gloves!  Shifter pin surgery commence!

• Like 1

Mechanic contacted me.  Broken Shifter Pin!!  So diagnosis via forum was bang on the money.  £155 all in to sort. Very fair price and hopefully, weather permitting, I'll collect the bike tomorrow. I will wear bike gear on the train to keep warm!  Very pleased indeed.  At least this is a simple enough solution and I get to keep the bike as I like it so much anyhow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Excellent news. And a very fair price indeed. 

I think so.  I am happy to share the mechanics details with anyone. He is based a few minutes walk from Anerley Railway Station.  He is straight talking and an older school of mechanic, very hands on and at times blunt.  Tells it like it is.  But he is good at what he does, so I'm happy.  £50 an hour + parts and materials.

• Like 1
On 2/15/2018 at 07:58, makman said:

Yebbut what year, model and most importantly what colour!!! I just cannot make up my mind!  Looks like it will be red/black/blue or a mix of the lot.

#

Turns out the bike stays... Shifter pin sorted.  So I can resume my 60+mpg commutes soon.

• Like 2
renners

£150 is cheap when you consider what you may have spent on buying a newer bike. Glad all is sorted just need the better weather again now.

Edited by renners
  • Like 1
embee

Yep, having done mine myself on the Integra I know what's involved, and £150 is very reasonable indeed. Glad it's sorted, and importantly it adds a lot to the combined forum knowledge database for diagnosing such issues. If we can be reasonably sure of what such issues might be caused by, the prospects of fixing them are much less daunting.

It still looks like a relatively confined batch issue affecting early 700 models only. I can't recall hearing of it happening on any other model.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, embee said:

It still looks like a relatively confined batch issue affecting early 700 models only. I can't recall hearing of it happening on any other model.

I think this is the first one we’ve heard of that wasn’t on an Integra? Or did I dream that? Of course sales of ‘other models’ with DCT were much slower then than now.

Guest machinman
39 minutes ago, embee said:

Yep, having done mine myself on the Integra I know what's involved, and £150 is very reasonable indeed. Glad it's sorted, and importantly it adds a lot to the combined forum knowledge database for diagnosing such issues. If we can be reasonably sure of what such issues might be caused by, the prospects of fixing them are much less daunting.

Murray, i have a 750dct with 32000 miles, is it worth changing as a precaution or suck it and see.