Headlight

Guest Bob bike

Guest Bob bike

Use my nc for commuting only,work nights so while I've had it been going to work in daylight and returning home in daylight. Had reason to finish 3hrs early this morning. What can I say awesome headlight on unlit motorways and country lanes!!! Ridden 100's of bikes from late 70's on and can honestly say best standard headlight I've ever had. Including the impressive blackbird headlight. Well happy. Anyone else have a view? Cheers.

• Like 2
Rocker66

The NC light is certainly better than that on my Crossrunner. I think the best standard light I have ever had was on on my pre V-Tec VFR800

• Like 1
Guest Bob bike

Had a pre v-tec and a v- tec and it beats both hands down. Done the same journey for the last 18 years made up. Maybe I should check the bulb I case it's been upgraded by Honda.(not).

Guest octane

Any one tried a brighter bulb?

Philips Xtreme power H4 bulbs would make great replacement. I'm kinda waiting for the original bulb to blow before i can change it to Xtreme power.

Rev Ken

Philips Xtreme power H4 bulbs would make great replacement. I'm kinda waiting for the original bulb to blow before i can change it to Xtreme power.

You'll wait a loooooong time! (Bulb performance does deteriorate over time - so why not get yourself a Christmas present?) :D

Guest gunshot72

Yes I run the Osram +90% Night Breaker and it's a lot better than stock although stock is pretty good. I also have twin 100W LED running lights by X Vision but then I am an upgrade tart, as some on here will testify!

Rev Ken

Yes I run the Osram +90% Night Breaker and it's a lot better than stock although stock is pretty good. I also have twin 100W LED running lights by X Vision but then I am an upgrade tart, as some on here will testify!

Are you sure? A loading of 200 watts would flatted your battery very quickly and as I understand it LEDs consume very little power for the same brightness as 'normal', Halogen bulbs. Perhaps it was a typo and you meant 10watts??

often the wattage on LEDs also quotes the equivilent halogen wattage.

I did have a couple of those osrams sitting around from a bike show a few years ago, so I just fitted it. Dead easy to change a buld on this, took about 5 mins cos I had to fiddle with the screen mounting i fittedd. Last one I changed on a deauville took about an hour!

I wonder about a HID, where would one put the ballast?

Guest gunshot72

Are you sure? A loading of 200 watts would flatted your battery very quickly and as I understand it LEDs consume very little power for the same brightness as 'normal', Halogen bulbs. Perhaps it was a typo and you meant 10watts??

100W equivalent. They only draw 0.75 amps each.

Rev Ken

100W equivalent. They only draw 0.75 amps each.

Thanks - Now that makes more sense!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tumbleweed

What can I say awesome headlight on unlit motorways and country lanes!!! Well happy. Anyone else have a view? Cheers.

Everyone I ride behind asks if I`ve got it on main beam - so it must be bright.

I even went to the trouble of checking the alignment in case it was out - it wasn`t. It`s just a bright headlight. :D I can live with that.

• 3 years later...

I can't agree that the headlight is better than a VFR. I have just downsized from a 800Fi and the headlight is absolute rubbish on main beam, all over the place. Either a poor quality bulb or not aligned properly in the housing. Just bought a 2012 700X with 2500 miles from new so can't believe a the bulb has been replaced yet. Previous owner did just town riding so probably didn't notice how bad it was, but out in the country with no street lighting it is proper scary.

But I wouldn't use a 6000k bulb (yes I know it's not a bulb as such) as it's much too blue.

A 4300k is a much better option. Gives more like halogen light colour but brighter.

For £20 it's worth a shot though

How about temperatures inside headlight assembly? Is that HID 'bulb' not going to burn it from inside?

Not sure, Hubert.

A normal H4 bulb produces a fair bit of heat. I'm not sure if the burner of the HID version would be hotter?

Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject could provide the answer...

My HID lights haven't caused any problems in 35,000 miles on my CBF1000, so I wouldn't think you would have any problems. Oh and I agree a 6,000k 'bulb' is too blue and won't give as much visible light as one of 4,300k.

6000k is quite OK on dry roads. Actually it makes the road marking kind of glowing. However when it is wet the road becomes black and man can hardly spot anything. So I would recommend getting 4300K as closest to the sun light.

I spend quite a lot of time riding at night on unlit country roads.  I have to say i was slightly disappointed with the light and have just purchased some Philips X-treme Vision.  I was hoping they would arrive today - but no luck.  When they do arrive - I shall let you know what they are like.

A couple of years ago I was using my NC for all year commuting which involved shift work and I wasn't impressed with the quality of the light at all.

It was my first bike so I only had car headlights to compare it to but it left a lot to be desired on unlit roads at night.

I decided to convert the headlight to a Bi-Xenon set up and after some niggles that needed sorting I was very pleased with the output, it had a nice clean cut off so it didn't dazzle other road user and it was on par with car headlights.

Dechromedheadlight_zps8367f2b0.jpg

If anybody is interested there is a link to the thread below.

http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/3860-nc700x-hid-bi-xenon-headlight-conversion/

It looks like an evil Cyclops :)

Tidy job

Blimey Dave! That's amazing. Really tidy job. In comparison, I managed to switch the standard bulb for the Philips Xtreme Night Vision. First thing to say is that is was the easiest bulb to switch on a bike I have ever done. I put the bars on full lock to the left and could get my hand underneath while looking from the top. Uncliped the old bulb, removed the rubber, uncliped the buld (that was the hardest thing) old bulb out, new one in and then reverse the process. Took less than two minutes.

Now the difference? Definitely brighter at a standstill. On the move, the dip is also brighter and the light goes a little further. However,the real difference is on full beam! Amazing! Much brighter and further down the road. And the spread of light is very even. Definitely worth £10!

• 4 weeks later...

I bit the bullet and got one of these...

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h4-hids4u-slim-35w-hid-xenon-conversion-motorcycles.html

This is what you get in addition to the burner.

DSCF2994.jpg

After test fitting, I discovered that when switching from dip to main beam, the light went out for about a second, leaving no light at all.

Not good down a dark lane!!

However, a call to customer service line brought quick results.

They have an update that resolves this issue. A replacement unit was sent and arrived next day.

It looks like this.... Again, in addition to the burner.

DSCF2993.jpg

You can see there is an additional box (bottom left) and the 3 pin connector to the existing headlamp connector is different.

Test fit confirmed this one does operate correctly.

(if you do order one of these kits, make sure you state it is for the NC and that you need the updated kit)

The burner is a proper one and gives a beam pattern exactly the same as the halogen H4 bulb.

It looks like this...

(with the 2 parts separated for fitting)

DSCF2989.jpg

You can see the shielding which gives the beam pattern. No chavvy glare from this  one :)

Now the bad news!

The kit does fit the X but needs a lot of thought as to where you put all the bits.

Not sure about the S though.

I did take some pics when installing but they accidentally got deleted from the camera :( DOH!

The best I can do is this...

HID%20fit%20locations.jpg

The 3 pin connector to the existing plug fits nicely between the headlamp and its mounting bracket.

I'm very pleased with the performance of dip beam but haven't been anywhere to check the main yet.

If you are going to fit this and need more info, then feel free to PM me

• Like 3