NC750X DCT Won't Start

DCTPaul

DCTPaul

So after a couple of months lay up... Bike mainly on a Trickle Charger... Me mainly on Codine...

Thought i'd try starting the bike in the garage, just to make sure it starts before trying to man-handle it out on to the drive... NO LUCK...

Keys Up, Dash On, Whirrs, Primes...

Hit the Starter... Clicks... and a -- in the gear window.

Gonna look thru the Owners Handbook..

Anyone any ideas? 2019 Model...

barsteward THING! - This have given me a real downer... one thing after another...

Edited by DCTPaul
jeremyr62

Kill switch?

• Like 1
Empty_Ten

If there’s a dash in the gear indicator, I think that means it’s not in neutral?  

I think some people have been able to get the bike back in neutral by wheeling the bike backwards.

and as Jeremy suggested, kill switch….

Might be worth reading this thread https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php?topic=6734.0

I was told by the Honda dealer to always put the bike back into neutral before switching off.  Perhaps worth doing (if you aren’t already)

Edited by Empty_Ten
  • Thanks 1
MatBin

I also think it sounds like the bike was switched off previously in gear and now doesn't have enough puff in the battery to get back to N so won't start. You could try rocking it back and forth, with ignition on, so the rear wheel assists the gear motor in trying to get back into N.

As an aside I was riding my DCT in 5th and hit the kill switch, deliberately, to see what would happen, clutch(es?) disengaged, I stopped, returned the kill switch to run and couldnt start the bike or get it back into neutral, using the D/N rocker switch, without rocking it back and forth. I could hear the bike trying to get back into neutral but failing without additional 'help'.

Just read the link above, could have saved me some typing :)

Edited by MatBin
  • Thanks 1
DCTPaul

I usually remember to stick it in Neutral...

Went back out, took it off the trickle and check thru some of the dash settings HISS with the handbook... Reset time etc,

Turned off and back on Dash was blank and a repetative light clicking.

Recon its Battery, nearly always is... and perhaps the 'lil trickle was just not enough over time, so Batt is out and on a meatier charger... Will try again in the morning...

30 Months and only about 4k miles, mainly thanks to ****, Depression and a Broken Ankle....

DCTPaul

Anyone squeezed an ooomphier Yuasa in the same space?

If i need a new batt it will ne Yuasa from Halfords as i have a trade card and 20% off i think...

ChrisCB
13 minutes ago, DCTPaul said:

I usually remember to stick it in Neutral...

Went back out, took it off the trickle and check thru some of the dash settings HISS with the handbook... Reset time etc,

Turned off and back on Dash was blank and a repetative light clicking.

Recon its Battery, nearly always is... and perhaps the 'lil trickle was just not enough over time, so Batt is out and on a meatier charger... Will try again in the morning...

30 Months and only about 4k miles, mainly thanks to ****, Depression and a Broken Ankle....

I would say you're right with the battery, three years is about it these days I'm afraid. With DCT it does some heavy lifting, I just managed four years on my old AT.

• Like 1
DCTPaul

Yuasa YTX14S at Halfords £102... £81.60 with Trade Card... Better than a poke in the eye... but fingers crossed after a Meaty Charge followed by a bit of use might sort it.

Feeling a little better about things.

Empty_Ten

With regards to the battery charger,

I recall unplugging one of mine on one occasion.  Prior to unplugging it, it was shown as solid green on the display, ie fully charged.  I’ve done whatever I was doing and then plugged it back in, it then showed red (very low battery) and went through the whole charging cycle again for a few hours.

Since then, I make a habit of unplugging/plugging the optimate back every month or two (for the bikes in hibernation).  

I do wonder whether the charger had stopped charging but was still showing green/fully charged…..

this only happened on the bike which is stored throughout the winter.  The NC gets more frequent use and gets unplugged/plugged regularly enough.

Xactly

I never leave my charger permanently connected. Apart from the fact that I have two bikes that need their battery maintaining I’ve seen so many cases on various forums where, having left the bike’s battery connected all winter, the bike starts ok only to fail a few days later. It seems to me that the charger simply props up a failing battery while connected, will start the engine for a while and it then fails once off charge. I just charge mine once a fortnight. By doing that I get a good indication of the state of the battery by which lights come on when I turn on the Optimate. ie  I can see whether or not it has lost much charge over a couple of weeks. 

jeremyr62

I just take the batteries out or disconnect them completely. I have found battery maintainers/trickle chargers just kill the battery. If you take them out, the self discharge rate is very small. Means I can keep them in a warmish garage too as opposed to a cold shed.

• Like 1
Rocker66

During the winters when we working Sue and I would leave our leisure bikes on the optimates for months with no problems whatsoever.

• Like 2
bazza

a quick reminder -when my DCT refused to start one morning on return trip to Slovakia the Honda dealer could find nothing wrong and simply shorted across the solenoid connectors -and it started and never failed to again!  I wouldnt have dared ,worry about excess voltage on pcbs etc -but it solved the problem.

so if you are happy that the battery has enough oomph -its just to the offside of the battery and all you need is a screwdriver - Yes before someone says it wear a mask, gloves,  googles,full PCP outfit in case of anything lurking or a lightning strike !

• Haha 1
DCTPaul

Turned the charger off late last night...

Back on for a few hours this morning...

Oh... and while i was out there I tried the Scoot and that Started... Yay!

So Batt back in the bike this afters, fi gers crossed!

Gonna have a quick bimble on the scoot to Halfords for some £1 Black Screen Screws, as a treat for the NC... if it behaves....

Edited by DCTPaul
  • Like 2
DCTPaul

Nice bimble out on the scoot... first time on two wheels for over 2 months.

Stuck the Battery back in the NC...

Still the Same... -- on the dash when pressing the starter and clicks... tried rotating the rear wheel with the bike on the stand... No joy...

Might have to wait till i can get it our the garage on it wheels and give it a go...

Might try giving 'DoughBalls' (Dobles) a shout on Monday.

ARSE!.. I'M MIFFED!

Edited by DCTPaul
DaveM59

If the battery is completely dead an Optimate will struggle to lift it. You need a booster charger 4A, or stick it on jump leads from the car for a couple of minutes, then try the Optimate again. Rocking a DCT does nothing, but they always drop into neutral as soon as you turn the key off, even with the kill switch. My 2012 Integra always did.

There's arguments both sides for using battery maintainer chargers. I know a lot of folk who swear by them but also they never have a battery last more than 3-4 years.

I know others like myself who never use them, and often leave bikes unstarted for months, but yet batteries last easily 6-7 years even if on occasions they get left a bit too long and need a boost. Freezing temperatures kill little bike batteries faster than anything.

Another thing someone discovered with Optimate type chargers is that you have to short the terminals before use (powered off) for a few seconds to kill a sort of 'memory' that they seem to develop from the state of the last battery they were used on. This seems to work if trying to charge a totally dead battery rather than just maintaining a good one.

I feel your pain DTCPaul. I bobbed into the garage to run my 29 year old VFR750 up to operating temperature and run her through the gears whilst on the centre stand. Still on her original battery, maintained by an optimate II. Fired up first time and ran nicely. Since November I've exclusively ridden my Zero FX and thought I may as well fire my 21 reg' NC750XD up. Nope! Battery hadn't enough energy to fire her up. Now on the optimate, which indicated an existing 11v on connection. I'll giver her a few hours and see if it revives the battery.

jeremyr62
38 minutes ago, tomcat said:

29 year old VFR750 up to operating temperature and run her through the gears whilst on the centre stand. Still on her original battery

You got your money's worth there then. Just about covers the petrol you have wasted running the engine on the stand. Each to their own. 

Edited by jeremyr62
baben

Batteries and tyres are the two most argued about things on bikes! My four year old Versys statred being arsey. It would start and allow me to ride it up the driveway but if I then switched off and tried to restart - nada. Popping it back on the optimate gave temporary relief but basically it just was not holding the charge very long - knackered battery. But it had had a hard life. Both my bikes are always on optimates and usually they start happily but the optimate can allow a dying battery to give the appearence it is still alive and well... The new (2021) NC shows you the state of the electrickery on its dash if you ask it. But bring back the good old days when you had a wobbly ammeter on the nacelle.

Edited by baben
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tomcat said:

I feel your pain DTCPaul. I bobbed into the garage to run my 29 year old VFR750 up to operating temperature and run her through the gears whilst on the centre stand. Still on her original battery, maintained by an optimate II. Fired up first time and ran nicely. Since November I've exclusively ridden my Zero FX and thought I may as well fire my 21 reg' NC750XD up. Nope! Battery hadn't enough energy to fire her up. Now on the optimate, which indicated an existing 11v on connection. I'll giver her a few hours and see if it revives the battery.

A few hours on the optimate saw her kick into life. I'll leave in connected overnight then see how it appears next week.

DCTPaul

IGOR... IT'S ALIVE!..

Batt was showing 11v even though the trickle was showing charged... Proper 12 Hours overnight charge on a normal charger... Batt then showing 14v... In it went and started first prod... Sorted.

Edited by DCTPaul
  • Like 5
bazza

saw a strange u tube vid about a couple of gold prospectors with dead 4 x 4 battery in outback in Auz -without supplies " yer going to die Bruce"

but Bruce built a fire and got the earth hot,then dug hole and put battery in it with hot ashes all around,left overnight and it fired up the ute in the morning.

Funny things batteries - but like me apparently don't like the cold!

so maybe another use for the bottom oven of the Aga?

PS always use proper dry wood in your fire or the starsi will do u for for poisoning the worms!

davebike

Yes lead acid really do not like the cold

One of the tips we give our "don't ride in the cold" customers is take the battery off the bike and store it somewhere warm and charge befor refitting !

• Like 1
DCTPaul

My Garage isnt to bad... semi integral with those Halforords foam floor matts...

Thanks for all the responses... Improved my mood...

Edited by DCTPaul
KingJames