Broke off the ignition key in the lock

Guest Emil

So I wanted to ride at -2°C yesterday .. I had had problems with the notchy locks before, but yesterday, it seems the steering lock was frozen.

I thought, oh, it's moving - and then I had one half of the key in my hand.

Now the lock is turned a bit, and the lower part won't come out .. I will probably have to drill away the upper part of the lock to get it out. Ordered extractors and a cobalt drill bit earlier today, also I prepared a special key that might work to turn the lock back.

The dealer told me Honda will probably charge full price for a new lock, and it's expensive. If they do that, I'll take a very close look at the BMW F800R in the summer.. for now, I hope to be able to the NC going again.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Derek_Mac

• Mike5100

• wozza

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a weakness of the bike.  That something so simple is so crappy amazes me.  I am regularly frustrated trying to get the key into the ignition.  Its pretty ironic that the oldest piece of 'techn

Guest divetrucker

I rode my bike to work yesterday and parked in the city centre. I then found that I could not get the key out of the lock, despite much wiggling and tugging.

Rode the bike to the dealers and with much lubricant, and harder heaving than I would have been prepared to use, it came out.

The key was not bent or damaged, so more lubricant was squirted into the lock barrel and it all works fine again...for now!

Guest Tiger-WP

This is a weakness of the bike.  That something so simple is so crappy amazes me.  I am regularly frustrated trying to get the key into the ignition.  Its pretty ironic that the oldest piece of 'technology' on our bikes is the least reliable.

• Like 1
glencoeman

I,ve had similar problems with my CBF500 key. Fortunately,it is not a hiss key and can be replaced cheaply. I think that Honda keys are made from chocolate.

Guest billc700s

I think they did not take into account the key's dual use in opening the tank and ignition use and it is too soft, operating two stiff locks in winter seems to take its toll on the key, I used to work for BMW wharehouse and they also had alot of ignition barrels fail. The BMW answer was a new lock and a steel key which was much harder than the original key but it still cost the rider unless the bike was less than 12 months old, fit for purpose is the argument most riders used to get a free replacement.

Mike5100

I regularly squirt a bit of acf50 on to the key then shove it into both locks a few times.  I think it will keep the locks turning freely but of course if the cables to the seat release begin to gum up, it will still go wrong

Mike

Guest engasal
I regularly squirt a bit of acf50 on to the key then shove it into both locks a few times.  I think it will keep the locks turning freely but of course if the cables to the seat release begin to gum up, it will still go wrong

Mike

Squirt a bit of oil on it then shove it in both locks a few times eh?  :D

Derek_Mac

I've always used powdered graphite to lubricate locks, oily products tend to attract dust and grit.

Edit: Before I started using graphite I managed to snap two keys in the ignition of my Honda S-Wing, so maybe they do make the keys out of chocolate.

Edited by Derek_Mac
Guest EasyTiger
 I've always used powdered graphite to lubricate locks, oily products tend to attract dust and grit.

Edit: Before I started using graphite I managed to snap two keys in the ignition of my Honda S-Wing, so maybe they do make the keys out of chocolate.

Where do you buy your dust?

I have tried both oldfashioned locksmiths and ironmongery chains like Dyas with no luck...

Guest Monkeyuk

hay guys i cut keys for a living and i can tell you i had the very same problem my key was very difficult to get it the lock and when it was in, the barrel would not spring up to release the steering lock and getting it out was a nightmare nearly snapped it a few times. but this is what I found. The tip was difficult to get in because its all about the angel at witch you use if its of by a few mm makes it so hard to get in so just try left to right motion. I found the reason the key was difficult to get in and the spring would not release was that Honda or the garage/dealer used a liquid lubricant now this dose work for a short time but when using a new key it beds in shedding very fine peace's of mettle this mixes with the oil/wd40 and jam's up your lock so all i did was to use a small amount of wd40 to clean the barrel then i dried it using a standard air canister the type you use for cleaning a pc or keyboard then use a dry lubricant now i got mine at work its called graphite powder its also available at amazon or that auction site but most lock places will sell it pop a bit of that in the lock every couple of weeks or when needed that will sort you out. hope that helped. I also cut a spare key to operate my top box and tank box this will turn on lights but will not start the bike.

Edited by Monkeyuk
Guest NCXrookie

I bent both 'chocolate' keys on the CBF1000, managed to straighten them out a bit but not impressed.  So far no probs with NCX.

I have keyless car entry.  As long as the fob is in my pocket I can open the door and  push the 'start'  button on the dashboard.  If I forget to lock the car it locks itself after 30 seconds and the indicators flash to say alarm is now active. 

Come on Honda get a grip....

It's not just the cold weather that effect these awful crappy cheap locks. On a reasonably warm day while at Devil's bridge my key wouldn't go back into the lock. ****** embarrassing on a near brand new bike with people you just been talking to about your bike watching - Pathetic Honda!!!

Ignition barrel is damn nuisance, key will go in OK but there are too many times it just refuses to turn properly to start ..

Very very frustrating and annoying..

i bought my CB1000R almost new and it had already twisted key and it went even worse with time but i could still use it, but never remember such a problem with lock like on NC7X, i used lubricant in spray which improved it but after few rainy days it is still problematic. I think the bike could have one lock and two buttons electrically opening storage compartment or tank.

Derek_Mac

Where do you buy your dust?

I have tried both oldfashioned locksmiths and ironmongery chains like Dyas with no luck...

I bought it on www.amazon.co.uk/WL403-Graphite-Powder/dp/B007D46BFO'>Amazon.

Originally I tried making my own by using a very sharp knife and a pencil until I found out that the graphite in pencils can contain clay as well.

Edited by Derek_Mac
Guest Silver Hawk
Just bought some graphite powder from Amazon  - hopefully this will avoid any problems on the bike as well as fixing a few sticky door locks at home.

Also good for lubricating door handles and hinges on wood burning stoves.

Guest EasyTiger

There's a good choice on that auction site, from 250g drums, to easy use puffers (50g) and a man who sells it loose in a bag.

(I am trying not to use tax avoiders - In three years from 2009 to 2011, Amazon earned more than £7bn in the UK but paid just £2.3m in corporation tax.)

Mike5100

Nice one jeremy ..... you reckon the man selling it loose in a bag is paying his tax ?  :D 

The backlash against Starbucks and others must have come like a bolt out of the blue to them.  However, it's easier to walk past a Starbucks and find a Cafe Nero or whatever, but a bit more difficult to look past Amazon's slick operation.

Mike

Derek_Mac

I'd actually be curious to know how much corporation tax fleabay pay on their (probably) substantial UK earnings.