Cheap to run, expensive to service?

JaseR

After the conversation around the 8k service, we've been discussing the service schedule for the NC and considering the costs. Blade Honda in Swindon offered the following costs:

8k=£190

16k=£225

24k=£190

32K=£280

So is the bike as cheap to run as Honda claim? Is that reasonable servicing costs?

I was told £135 for the 8k service at Lancaster Honda, so £190 does seem a little excessive.

Guest jorgegofio

I spent £1400 servicing my Triumph 675 for 24,000, 36,000 and 42,000 mile services.

Would much rather spend less than £700 on them

Holy sh*t

Rocker66

Try running a Ducati with their servicing cost. To be fair over the last few years this has been improved due to longer servicing intervals recommended for later models

Guest NCXrookie

What about those of us who do less than 8k a year?  Does that mean it may be 2 years before the service or should a bike be checked on an annual basis? 

I spread the milage between a sccoter for work and the NCX, mainly due to virtually non-existant weather protection at the workplace and the scooter seems better at holding off the worst the elements can do.

Guest scrumpymike

According to the 2 Honda dealers I have asked, to maintain our Honda warranty we need to have at least an oil & filter service every year. My local dealer Branson's has just quoted me £145 for it but I don't see why it should be any dearer than the 600ml service that Doble's charged me £116 for in June last year. Needless to say, I'll be shopping around a bit more!

Rocker66

Not got my handbook handy but if you check it I think you will find it is 8k or 12 months whichever comes first

I do my own work, get my work checked and book stamped by an independent dealer, or get them to service it. Being retired I usually have the time,.

the 600ml service that Doble's charged me £116 for in June last year.

i know the CBR500R has a valve clearance check at the 600 mile service, does the 700 not require this?

Is the owners manual available online anywhere?

lipsee

Hells Bells I,v just been quoted £185 at Johns of Romford.....I dare say there is a north/south divide to this,,,so when I,m up,t north I,ll get couple more quotes!!

Mike5100

I would grab their hand off at £185 if it includes the valve check.  My dealer is quoting Honda's estimated times for that and saying best part of £300.  How would you know a dealer had taken the time to do the valve check by the way even if he said he did?

Mike

The valve check is simple, the bike has screw and lock nut old style technology, the rad probably needs moving out the way, but compared to other bikes should be simple, a reason I brought the bike, I like simple things.  

Guest scrumpymike

The Honda dealers I talked to assured me that the 'annual oil/filter service until 8k miles is reached' is Honda's position re maintaining the warranty.

Guest onedartmart

I would grab their hand off at £185 if it includes the valve check. My dealer is quoting Honda's estimated times for that and saying best part of £300. How would you know a dealer had taken the time to do the valve check by the way even if he said he did?

Mike

Mike,

As the engine would need to be stone cold before checking valves most workshops would ask for the bike to be dropped off the night before. That way they can start on it first thing and get it out quickly. If they take it in straight from you riding it there in the morning it's going to sit around in their workshop for several hours while they wait to work on it.

To be fair to the dealers , if they don't do the check and the bike comes back they are going to have a hard time claiming any costs back from Honda.

Mike5100

..... But how would Honda know they hadn't done it if they had ticked the box.

Mike

• Like 2
Rocker66

Mike

Very good point

Mike

Very good point

This is what worries me about dealers not doing the work properly. :(

Guest onedartmart

Mike

I guess the question really shoul be "why wouldn't they ?". They gain very little by charging you for it and then not doing it. Honda test engines for 1000's of hours on a bench running all different scenarios. They will be able to identify if a fault relates back to valve issue- and if they do the dealer will not only have to bear the costs of any repair themselves but run the risk of losing the Honda franchise. It's a basic check at 8k and not a complicated procedure. I think it's s lot for them to lose Mike ? If you've had a bad experience before I can understand your concerns and would say take it elsewhere. But I think you may be worrying too much about nothing fella. Honda would still cover your claim if the dealer was at fault. Hope this helps. All the best

Martin

Mike5100

Maybe Martin, but the check is supposed to be done and yet many dealers were quoting prices that obviously did not allow the necessary time, and when pushed they have said in their experience it's not worth doing at 8000 miles as they find they never need adjusting.

And I don't think I'm being unduly cynical in thinking that in these times which are pretty desperate for dealers that they might be tempted to charge Honda's recommended price but do less of the actual work than is supposed to be done - human nature 

Mike

Guest onedartmart

Maybe Martin, but the check is supposed to be done and yet many dealers were quoting prices that obviously did not allow the necessary time, and when pushed they have said in their experience it's not worth doing at 8000 miles as they find they never need adjusting.

And I don't think I'm being unduly cynical in thinking that in these times which are pretty desperate for dealers that they might be tempted to charge Honda's recommended price but do less of the actual work than is supposed to be done - human nature

Mike

Mike, I hope you didn't take my post as a criticism in any way ? I was just trying to point out fella that we should be enjoying the riding and not worrying too much about things that are out of our control. You pay for the service, they tick the boxes and stamp the book. You're covered. Nobody can guarantee you an answer to your question can they ? So, take the bike where you feel comfortable and that's all you can do buddy. The intention of my post was to try and ease your mind not add more doubt to it. Take it easy fella.

Martin

Ride on.

Mike5100

ah - I see.  But what I want is to find somewhere that a) will do the valve checks, and B) has done it before.  The reason for this is that I would like to be sure that everything is right with the engine as I'm not getting the mpg that most people seem to be getting.

(I do enjoy riding the bike - I did 5000 miles in two months in sep and Oct)

Mike

Guest petesurrey

I have shopped around for service and the dealer i bought the bike from wanted 300-350 and the first service was 150.

Its one bolt to release radiator the they have full access to rocker cover and as previously mentiond they are screw and nut rockers so no excuse for expencive service costs.

I have found a local dealer near my work that is servicing my bike now at 8k and he charge 215 including fitting rear pads and courtest bike.

The silly thing is that i could do the service in 45 mins and know that it is done properly and with the care and attention that i would expect but it voids the warranty.

Guest Bill the Cat

Talking to my dealer yesterday while arranging a test ride of the X he told me that the valves do not need to be checked at 8000, only every 16000. This seems to contradict all advise on the site. Anyone else been told the same?

Guest Lockon2

Looking at the Honda service book it says valve check at 8000 miles, if the bike has only done say 3000 miles in a year then they will do the annual check - the valves do not need checking. My R1200S had a service each year by BMW but it had the annual check as my mileage on that bike was below the 6000mile service for a few years.

So make sure to check it out with the garage before the service and not pay for stuff thats just not needed.