Cheap to run, expensive to service?

JaseR

Pick my bike up later on this afternoon , its in for its 8000 mile service will let you know what the damage is, prices seem to vary a lot 

Forgot to say the Honda mechanic I use is one of the top 5 in the UK so I am pretty lucky that the bike is in good hands, they charge £35 per hour labour which seems about average?

Forgot to say the Honda mechanic I use is one of the top 5 in the UK so I am pretty lucky that the bike is in good hands, they charge £35 per hour labour which seems about average?

£35 sounds like half price

Just got the bill £141.

All green on everything 3 mm tyre tread left on the rear 

Oil and filter change

chain adjusted

breaks cleaned out

Pressure done

Valves checked but nothing until 16000 miles

I am quite happy with the cost and the bits he has looked at and now dont have to do anything until a whopping 16000 miles. Maybe a new rear tyre along the wy

Grant , I had 8,200 miles on the clock and the dealer is called Torbay Motorcycles its based in Newton Abbot, I think they are about to change hands but the mechanic Kev will be staying on as far as I can gather, he really is spot on, I do absolutely nothing on my bike and completely trust him. Word of mouth is often the best advertisement and he really is the best one in the area by a mile I know a few people who have bought bikes from other dealers but go to him for the servicing e.t.c.

There was another post somewhere on this site saying that somebody had completely stripped a NC and taken it to bits to see what parts would be worn at 50,000 miles and low and behold all the parts were in tip top condition, goes to say how well made our bikes are and should last a long time and capable of some high mileage. If the servicing is kept up.

Guest scrumpymike

I love that neck of the woods so might be worth a run down from Taunton. I bet the new owners increase the hourly labour charge before I get there!

Would be a nice run maybe take in the paignton bike festival or bike night as well when you are down and meet and have a cuppa if you are around. 

Guest scrumpymike

That's a great idea - can you let me have details of festival and bike nights? I'm planning a ride down to Poole too on one of their Tuesday nights down by the harbour. Perhaps we could post something in the events section when we've got some provisional dates as it would be nice to meet some others from the South West.

Guest Lockon2

Grant , I had 8,200 miles on the clock and the dealer is called Torbay Motorcycles its based in Newton Abbot, I think they are about to change hands but the mechanic Kev will be staying on as far as I can gather, he really is spot on, I do absolutely nothing on my bike and completely trust him. Word of mouth is often the best advertisement and he really is the best one in the area by a mile I know a few people who have bought bikes from other dealers but go to him for the servicing e.t.c.

There was another post somewhere on this site saying that somebody had completely stripped a NC and taken it to bits to see what parts would be worn at 50,000 miles and low and behold all the parts were in tip top condition, goes to say how well made our bikes are and should last a long time and capable of some high mileage. If the servicing is kept up.

Hi Gareth thanks for the info.

Rev Ken

Sounds a great idea me luvver

Said with a Bristol accent? :whistle: 

• 2 months later...

Well I've just come across this same disparity. Crunched some numbers and if I do 6000km's a year (my normal amount I spread across my bikes) I will be only saving 8 quid per month over owning my thirsty CB1000R which had a 6000km service interval. Really contemplating the benefits of owning this bike now... :getlost:

embee

It'll be interesting to see what valve clearances do in this engine. I'd put money on them hardly ever needing adjustment.

Over on the Deauville forum this has been discussed over the years, and real life experience in that engine shows they hardly ever need adjustment and certainly not as often as the book says. I did mine (650 Deau) at 20k miles and they were still within spec., it's approachiong 40k so I might have another look sometime :D 

Edited by embee
Guest EasyTiger

I just had an 8,000 mile service from Thunder Road, Cwmbran for £145.00. It included 3.5 hours labour, and the valve clearances were checked - and adjusted. Bransons had wanted £220/230, and Fowlers Bristol over £350. I am usually a fan of independent mechanics but with this being a new bike, and for the price...I used a Honda dealer. Besides, they gave me JaseR's old tax disc holder for free...and an unforgettable day on an S...