Tyre choice

Steve Blackdog

Steve Blackdog

I am wondering if there is anything about the stock (Metzler) tyres that make them so slippery in the wet.  Maybe it's me; maybe they are not warming up quickly enough in this weather, but my rear tyre seems to be all over the place at the moment.  

This is the first bike I have had with Metzlers - I've been on Bridgestones for years (before the NC) and never felt so unstable on them.  

is it possible that this is caused by my suspension set up?

Any ideas?

My NC had 3800 miles on it when I got it and part worn (very flat profile rear) Metzelers which I really couldn't get on with from day one. Felt edgy in the wet/damp, quite a hard ride, didn't inspire confidence but wanted to run them until needing replacement. A couple of weeks ago I took the NC to an IAM track day at Thruxton and the first two or three session were on a very damp (not wet) track which gradually dried. Once I got used to them I was riding right up to the edge of the Metzlers even on a not completely dry circuit with no slips or dodgy moments, goes to show how much is in the riders mind (or backside!).

Having said that I have replaced them with a pair of Pilot Sport 3's and I immediately feel more confident in the levels of grip, particularly at lower speeds which is strange. I do run these on one of my other bikes and have cornered quite hard in various conditions with no problems so again, perhaps it's more my perception than actual reality but I won't go back to the Metzelers for now.

I also use Pirelli Diablos (various models) on some other bikes and like them a lot but wear on the softer compounds is very high.

Not sure what suspension set-up you have or what you can change, my 700X is rear preload only unless you want to go to bother of changing oil/spacers in front forks or replacing rear shock?

Steve Blackdog

My suspension is stock.  Maybe the truth is that since I came of in the rain about a month ago, I have become very sensitised to any loss of traction.  I was in central Birmingham in the rain last night and the roads in town are really oily compared to the more rural roads where I live.  I suspect that so many buses in the town centre doesn't help, even with modern engines they must carry around a whole load of crud which ends up being dropped on the corners and junctions.

My Metzlers have a good few thousand miles left in them, so I will stick with them until they need replacing.

Blackdog, I think you're right, there is a local roundabout near to me that I slid off on about 25 years ago on a trail bike and I'm still really wary of it to the point where I'm looking for every little hint of a slip, slide or shimmy when I go round it. 

A very good friend of mine rides all year round, every weather, nearly any occasion and covering about 25,000 miles a year gets through quite a few tyres. He rides a BMW RT and although a quick rider doesn't need his tyres to perform at the limit of adhesion and traction on a regular basis (the odd track day aside!). He has come to the conclusion that there is very little difference between many of the tyres makes and models he has tried apart from wear rate and pattern - and of course cost!

steelhorseuk

Hi Steve, when did you last check rear tyre pressure?

Alot of NC's are loosing tyre pressure in the back tyre due to leakage at the beading, this will cause you to have slippage problems as described.

Get the dealer to check it (do not use the local petrol station one, its not accurate enough!

All the best

Mark

• Like 1
Rev Ken

I want tyres that are better than me - and PR3s once again proved that when on a tour of Brittany. I was on a smooth, twisty, narrow road through a forest and had my bike cranked over as far as I felt comfortable with and was negotiating one of those endless bends when a timber lorry with a trailer appeared in the middle of this narrow road. As you know when banked over a bike takes up a fair bit of space, so I had to straighten the bike up, head for the woods, and when right on the edge of the road, sling the bike over hoping that the tyres would grip. I scraped my boot (and probably the footrest) and 'we' got round, thanks to what I consider is a great tyre, especially in the wet. Definitely better than any previous tyre I've had.

Rev Ken - pleased to hear your confidence in PR3's, looking forward to using my NC through the winter with them. 

I agree with your comment and think I'm trying to make the same point with my less than lucid posts, most modern tyres perform well in excess of most of our actual (rather than imagined/hoped for) ability and sane use on public roads. The big difference is in our confidence in that tyre and that is effected by a whole range of things including previous 'moments' (good and bad), 'feel' and feedback, brand, peer pressure, even tread pattern for some!

My point on the Z8's that my NC came kitted with was that I really didn't trust them at all in damp until I had the opportunity to give them a real test on a track and blew away my inhibitions about them.

Still went for PR3's though when replacement time came, good experience on one of my other bikes and I like the tread pattern  :ermm:

Anyone know where the cheapest place is to buy the Bridgestones? Most places I look at are around £200-230 for the pair then plus fitting.

I buy all my tyres at www.mytyres.co.uk

They always seem to be way cheaper than anywhere else.

I get them fitted by my local independent bike shop, which at the bottom of my road - very handy!

poldark

Check pricing at oponeo.co.uk too, just for comparison, very quick delivery even on the normal shipping option

Check pricing at oponeo.co.uk too, just for comparison, very quick delivery even on the normal shipping option

Get all my tyres from Oponeo, just had pair of PR3's for £208 delivered.

I quite like the Metz Z8, I fitted them to my Deauville to replace the Z6 and found them a definite progression in technology, a newer generation of tyre with better feel and ride quality and secure feeling wet and dry.

I bought my Integra with 2k miles on the original Metz Z8 tyres. I suspect it had been ridden with low pressures because the shapes weren't right. The front was wedging noticeably and the rear was flatted although there was little evidence it had ever been round any corners at all, only the mid third of the tyre had any sign of touching the road! They didn't really feel all that nice TBH. The Z8 on the Deauville hadn't shown the same wear characteristics.

I've now done another 2.5k miles and they look better shape as they wear further, and I'm pretty happy with them again. I check the pressures frequently, especially as the ambient temperatures change at this time of year, and I know my gauge is pretty much correct (against a properly calibrated gauge).

I'm sure as others say that the majority of modern generation tyres from the big manufacturers are all very good, rubber technology has certainly improved dramatically giving excellent wear/grip combination. Most people will prefer one sort of feel to another, but I'm sure it's usually quite subtle differences.

I'm not likely to need new tyres on anything for another year or so, and I'll see what the flavour of the month is at that time.

steelhorseuk

I have Metzeler Road Techs on mine, came with the bike but the rear one is a pain and eveytime I check with digital gauge it is well below pressure.

Today I set about it to find the leak!  I found it by spraying soapy water around the rim and being very patient.

Eventually I found it.........It bubbled up nicely where the leak is.

There is a tiny imperfection on the wheel itself causing the tyre to sit awkward enough for it not to seal at the rim/beading

Guess where its going tomorrow???  Eighth warranty claim in 14 months! Nice one Honda.. 

All the best.

Mark

Eighth warranty claim in 14 months! Nice one Honda..

Jeez, that ain't good. Especially for a so called quality brand! Edited by Crusty
steelhorseuk

Eighth warranty claim in 14 months! Nice one Honda..

Jeez, that ain't good. Especially for a so called quality brand!

Its fine Ian, I am used to it with this bike now.  Honda have already paid me compensation payments. I am happy to get more off them as they are  practically paying for the bike and I have my own Honda agent from the customer care centre which we chat to on first name terms now!! LOL.

The sight of new tyres just fitted always sends a warm glow  :D

Nice end can, same as I run on my NC X, a few decibels up on the standard can without being silly

Rev Ken

Pirelli Angel GTs have a good write-up, some even think they are better than PR3s!

Rocker66

I wanted to fit Angel GTs to my CBF but at the time the dealer couldn't get them so I went with PR3. As good as the PR3s are I still fancy trying the Pirellis

Derek_Mac

I wanted to fit Angel GTs to my CBF but at the time the dealer couldn't get them so I went with PR3. As good as the PR3s are I still fancy trying the Pirellis

Rocker, would you like a BSB ticket stub?

Pirelli have an offer on Angel GT tyres that gets you a £25 discount if you produce a 2013 BSB ticket stub at your Pirelli dealer, offer ends 31/10/13.

PM me with your address if you want a Knockhill ticket stub.

• Like 1
Derek_Mac

Mmm, don't know what happened there - I tried editing my post about BSB ticket stubs and Pirelli's offer on Angel GTs and the whole posting disappeared.  :shocked:

If anybody is planning on getting a set of Angel GTs before the end of the month I can send them a qualifying BSB ticket stub, let me know ASAP if you want the ticket stub.