Tyre choice

Steve Blackdog

Rocker66

I wanted to fit Angel GTs to my CBF but at the time the dealer couldn't get them so I went with PR3. As good as the PR3s are I still fancy trying the Pirellis

Rocker, would you like a BSB ticket stub?

Pirelli have an offer on Angel GT tyres that gets you a £25 discount if you produce a 2013 BSB ticket stub at your Pirelli dealer, offer ends 31/10/13.

PM me with your address if you want a Knockhill ticket stub.

Thanks that's a very kind offer. However I will not be changing my tyres until next spring so the offer will have finished

According to Wiki (so it must be right!!! :cry:  ) Metzeler has been a subsidiary of Pirelli since 1986. I understood the Angel GT and the Z8 to be essentially the same tyre with a different tread pattern, thouigh that might be an over simplification. Anyone know the definitive answer?

Rocker66

According to Wiki (so it must be right!!! :cry:  ) Metzeler has been a subsidiary of Pirelli since 1986. I understood the Angel GT and the Z8 to be essentially the same tyre with a different tread pattern, thouigh that might be an over simplification. Anyone know the definitive answer?

Surely if they have a different tread pattern they must be different tyres even if the compound is the same. Tread pattern makes a big difference to how a tyre works

If the carcass construction and the rubber mix was the same, I don't know how much the tread pattern would affect things, be interesting to try them back to back. There's a hint of similarity in the treads.

product_sheet_roadtecz8interact-default_

moto_alt_img_angel_st_gt_set.png

Steve Blackdog

Hey Murray,

Not sure I can see in what way there's hint of similarity.  They both have tread if that's what you mean  :D  :D

Hee hee, well if you squint through dark glasses from the other side of the room........................ :D

I thought the general layout, size, angle and spacing of the side grooves and so on had a similar sort of character, but maybe it's in the eye of the beholder. The two companies would obviously want to keep some corporate identity in the product so the look will be different. Maybe they're not the same basic tyre at all.

I'll get my coat............... :whistle:

Guest Krzysztof

Have anybody tried Pilot Road1?

I see lots of London couriers on that tyres?

I'm very happy with my BT023 but my second set has about 2000 miles left. Looking for something that can last 10000miles.

Another vote for Pirelli Angel GTs. When I had a puncture in the rear at 3382 miles the dealer did,nt have a BT023 rear to match the front and offered to sell me a pair of Angel GTs for £225 fitted and put my front on the shelf for the next rear purchase where the front with 5mm would be fitted free.

Anyway thats what i did and at 8203 miles the front has 4mm the rear 5mm and that includes a 100 miles + off road trails.

I have used the tyre in the wet and although I ride like an old woman in the wet it has never gave me anything but confidence.

And I think i will get 10000 miles out of them at least,barring punctures that is 

Edited by Crofty
Rev Ken

Have anybody tried Pilot Road1? I see lots of London couriers on that tyres? I'm very happy with my BT023 but my second set has about 2000 miles left. Looking for something that can last 10000miles.

PR1s are now 'old hat' and aren't as grippy as your 023s. PR3s are excellent in the wet, as I've said, and give me 7,500 on my CBF1000, so should give you around 10,000 miles especially as I change mine at least a 1000 miles before they become illegal, 'just in case'.

• 3 weeks later...
Mike5100

Have anybody tried Pilot Road1? I see lots of London couriers on that tyres? I'm very happy with my BT023 but my second set has about 2000 miles left. Looking for something that can last 10000miles.

PR1s are now 'old hat' and aren't as grippy as your 023s. PR3s are excellent in the wet, as I've said, and give me 7,500 on my CBF1000, so should give you around 10,000 miles especially as I change mine at least a 1000 miles before they become illegal, 'just in case'.

Mirrors my experience - had to change the original BT023 s at 5300 miles, and the PR3s look like they will be good for about 9000 miles (I'm up to about 7500 on them at the moment)

Mike

Mirrors my experience - had to change the original BT023 s at 5300 miles, and the PR3s look like they will be good for about 9000 miles (I'm up to about 7500 on them at the moment)

Mike

I just passed 5300 miles at mo and the rear BT023 has 4mm while the front has 5mm left

Edited by tc3
Mike5100

mine had plenty of tread left Tony, but they had two awful flats on them that were affecting the handling.

Mike

mine had plenty of tread left Tony, but they had two awful flats on them that were affecting the handling.

Mike

Ah now i understand, thought you changed em due to wear :)

Guest Piers Kurrein

My NC700X DCT now has 16000 miles on it

9000 on the original Metzlers which were OK but gave some worrying 'moment's in difficult conditions from time to time.

7000 now on Pirelli Angel GTs. What a superb set of tyres!! Wonderfully confidence inspiring in all conditions. Superb tracking in corners and plenty of life in them still.  36psi front  42psi back. Not the cheapest but definitely the best.

This year they've been to the passes of Switzerland (wonderful roads) and to the Picos mountains in Spain (Some of the best riding roads you'll find anywhere!).

Regards

Rev Ken

The new Pirelli Angel GTs have excellent reviews, some saying they are superior to Michelin PR3s, the best tyre I've ever had. So might try them next time I need new tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

Dunlop roadsmarts are the way to go. Bit expensive to start with but fantastic grip amd wear really well. I do a lot of miles and I reckon on changing the rear at 12000 miles still with a lot of tread but squared off by too much time on the M6 and looking like 20000 miles plus on the front tyre. Alan

• 1 month later...
Guest dixie666

At the moment i have bridgestone s on mine  ,which can only be described as interesting in the wet ( takes me back to the 80s on avon s on my yam rd).Already starting to square off  at 3000 miles ,admittedly mostly motorway commute and i am on the heavy side .Definitely could not recommend for wet weather riding and feedback in the wet and are that bad i actually checked over my head bearings!! I  Use avon storms on the busa and tourances on the bmw which give great grip and feel in the wet so not sure what to go for next  for a decent winter tyre?

• 1 month later...
Dave H

What do you think about metzeler tourance next?

Dave H

I've used Tourances on 1150 & 650 GS for about 50k miles on all road conditions and found them to be very good with good wear rates.

I back right off in wet weather as I've never found a tyre to inspire confidence in the wet.

I use PR3s on my RT good results also.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest aageaage

Got the Bridestone BT 30 before a 5k trip to the polar circle. A fantastic differece from the BT023. Rain, sun, motorways or even driving in the woods - I always felt confident tobstaybon track.