Chain, again

Guest esullivan

Guest hunter

I have covered 1400 miles since the beginning of June.

I checked the play in my chain after the run in period at 300 miles then again at 800 miles and it seemed OK but when I checked it again at 1200 miles I was surprised to find 50 MM of play so I adjusted it back to 35 MM (On side stand = around 40 MM on centre stand).

I mentioned this to the Technician at the dealership where I bought the 750X, whilst visiting last week, and he said that this is common with 750's in that the chain seems to stretch quite quickly over the first 2000 / 3000 miles then it slows down / stops so I will just keep my eye on it and adjust as necessary.

He asked what chain lube I use and said the one I was using was OK and then asked how often I lube my chains - I said every 300 / 400 miles and usually after being out in rain and mucky conditions.

He said that to keep a chain in tip top condition it should ideally be lubed every day the bike is used / when chain is hot (After a run) so I will now do this especially as my average mileage per run is around the 140 mark.

G

Edited by hunter
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prr

• Marte

• Slowboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May be I'm a bit odd, but I gave had chain drive bikes for years, and the odd shaft drive, and on the NC, the replacement chain provided under warranty was adjusted once at the 8000 mile service (actu

Maybe it's riding style, then. Clearly, lots of people do not have a problem with the chain, and to them we must just look like a bunch of cry babies. I don't think I'm a cry baby. I'm not alone in no

I ride 80km per day, a good half of it on motorway not half as cramped as the where you dwell. The weather is surely fairer here also, but I'm basically on the same figures: 22000km before changing

My bike has just over a 1000miles on it and the chain hasn't been adjusted since new. It still seems to be in spec at the moment.

Dave H

Big singles and big twins all put more strain on the chain than a four due to the bigger gaps between the firing impulses. In my experience around 12 to 15 K on a big twin (the 700 is a big twin, and yes I know there are bigger) is about the norm. Riding style and maintenance will all have an effect. Not letting the engine slog at very low revs will help. Big fours are very gentle on chains, my two 1000 cc Ducatis were not.

My last 650GS single did 30K+ on the same chain (scottoiler) with no appreciable wear when I sold it.  But I agree, singles and twins stress the chain more than 4s or 6s.

I had a DR800 single that went through them at an alarming rate but I was using chain wax, when I remembered.

ste7ios

He said that to keep a chain in tip top condition it should ideally be lubed every day the bike is used / when chain is hot (After a run) so I will now do this especially as my average mileage per run is around the 140 mark.

He is 100% right. The only way to achieve this is with a properly installed & configured oiler, like Scottoiler, Tutoro, etc.
Guest chickenflaps

I fitted a Tutoro oiler when the bike was virtually new and after 13,600 miles I've only had the adjust the chain once and it's still fine.  The rear end is oily but that goes with the territory I think.  I commute year round in every weather, and after nearly two years I think that's pretty good for a chain.  Still tempted to go back to shaft drive though...

Guest Peterpoddy

It does seem that some people do not have the problem and others do. I suspect it may be riding style and maintenance.......

Mark

So do I. Some people thrash their bikes off the line all the time, can't change gear without a great big lurch and clunk and jerk on and off the throttle, unable to feather the power in and out.

I'm smooth. I always have been. My chains last a long while. (I sold my Speed Triple still on the OE chain at 34,000 miles) I think I've only adjusted my NCs chain 3-4 times in 7000 miles. I can't see any reason why I want get the thickest end of 20,000 miles out of it. Twins are a bit harder on chains that triples and fours, but a replacement x ring isn't too expensive and I fit my own chains, so I can deal with that.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Scubalol

Sorry poeples, I meant to update this ages ago. I have had my chain and sprockets changed under warranty.

Keep checking it!

Loz

michael

Update:

Now have 25,000+ km's on the venerable NC. It added up quickly with 2 road trips into the south west US states. I had only one issue with the chain mid-trip. My Tutoro ended up very nearly dry so I wandered into a dealership that offered me free gear oil from their $1.00 sales table.

Chain doesn't show any appreciable wear, nor do the teeth on the sprockets.

(I'm looking for "shark finning," of the teeth.)

Either way, 15,000+ miles and still on the original chain.

I'm now more resolute about checking the chain tension and wear, as it gets 'older,' although frankly, I've not yet had to adjust it. I'm presuming it was adjusted during it's first routine service (the valve clearance one!) and when a new set of tires were fitted, but I haven't done it myself yet. Merely cleaned and ensured there was sufficient lubrication.

As it always the case, YMMV, Past performance is not a guarantee of future returns etc, etc.

Colour me "relieved," that this particular motorcycle has not given me chain headaches.

• Like 1
Guest szucsi

The NC is my first proper bike after a scooter. So I am new to chains, and adjusting them. I lubricate it regularly and clean it occasionally. I have never adjusted the chain, they did it at the first service. They adjusted just a bit. Now I am at 15000 km (9300 miles). The owners manual says the tension needs to be 30-40mm, but not more than 60mm.

My theory is people try to adjust the chain to be perfectly 35mm, so they always tighten it, so the chain always gets longer. If you don't touch it, maybe the slack will be 45mm, but than it stays there.

The other thing is I don't have a torque wrench so not a chance to tighten it exactly 100Nm. Once I tried to adjust the chain, but I could not loosen the bolt whit the toolkit thingy.

I've found the tools supplied are adequate...the correct torque is just about the same as a hard pull with the three spanners slotted into each other..takes about 5 mins to adjust chain anywhere.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Mashie1964

I had to change mine at about 12k. Heard a Ping noise just on a bend and came to accelerate out of the bend, nothing happened. The chain was stretched to it's limit. Managed to get the chain on & cruise home at 30MPH without it coming off.

• 9 months later...

Just done 18k kms and the chain is gone. Using Tutoro oiler, the chain is wet, doesn't have tight spots ... and it is unevenly tight. When adjusted on some parts it is quite well adjusted and on others it is too loose. Also I have this "nice" rhythmic noise under acceleration, directly related to the speed. Will have it checked next Monday but this is not normal for just 18k kms on a well maintained chain. Something should be wrong :(

I agree just 18k kms on a well maintained chain is not normal. I've done 40.500 km on the OEM chain so far. Tutoro oiler as you.

Just done 18k kms and the chain is gone. Using Tutoro oiler, the chain is wet, doesn't have tight spots ... and it is unevenly tight. When adjusted on some parts it is quite well adjusted and on others it is too loose. Also I have this "nice" rhythmic noise under acceleration, directly related to the speed. Will have it checked next Monday but this is not normal for just 18k kms on a well maintained chain. Something should be wrong :(

Slowboy

Mine is now up over 18,000miles and still going strong, with a Tutoro auto oiler from new ( this chain was a recall replacement at 600 miles or so) still looks and runs fine and is not needing regular adjustment. Looks like it will be good for another few thousand miles yet. Will probably replace with the OEM chain when it finally wraps it's hand in, can't really complain it's not up to the job at that mileage. I suspect maintenance is an issue for some of the low mileage failures. Chain oilers are definitely the way forward.

Mine also didn't show any signs of wear for 12k kms. Then, during the regular check it was adjusted once. Was good till 16k kms and was adjusted for a second time. Now just 2k kms later a strange rhythmic noise popped up and I did a check just to find out that it has uneven wear. Very, very strange. We'll see what Honda will say next Monday.

Perhaps they over tightened it?

aquaboy

We have loads of other practical accessories, time someone came up with a totally enclosed

chain guard. I can see the environmentalists jumping on us someday for all the oil we throw

on the road side.

Rocker66

We have loads of other practical accessories, time someone came up with a totally enclosed

chain guard. I can see the environmentalists jumping on us someday for all the oil we throw

on the road side.

Pete Furlong did so many years ago. I had one fitted to my CB550K however they never caught on

TheEnglishman

Are people with problems sure the sprockets are aligned?  Just 'cos the wheels are doesn't mean the sprockets are, no?

Yesterday I was at Honda dealer. Chain checked - will be changed under warranty as well as the sprockets. Nothing wrong with the maintenance, no rust, no tight links, no broken o-rings, no broken rollers, enough lubrication. The dealer adjusted the slack a bit while waiting for the replacement parts. 

@TheEnglishman, there are no signs of unaligned sprockets at all. 

Guest chicken george

17500 miles on my chain and sprocket so far and only adjusted it once. I bought a new sprocket so I had something to compare the old one to. It's hardly worn. Maybe I just got lucky. Ride in all weathers and oil my chain with 80W/90 gear oil using an old fashion style oil can every other day (150 miles) when I get home, definitely better to do this with a warm chain. Removed the Tutoro oiler as it was getting all gunked up around the swing arm.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Chris 

17500 miles on my chain and sprocket so far and only adjusted it once. I bought a new sprocket so I had something to compare the old one to. It's hardly worn. Maybe I just got lucky. Ride in all weathers and oil my chain with 80W/90 gear oil using an old fashion style oil can every other day (150 miles) when I get home, definitely better to do this with a warm chain. Removed the Tutoro oiler as it was getting all gunked up around the swing arm.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Chris

Am tempted to ask what would have happened if you had had a fully enclosed chain. Perhaps you wouldn't have felt the need to oil it every two days and it might actually have worn more quickly.

Guest chicken george

Oiling every 2 days is excessive, but it only takes 2 mins to pop the bike onto the centre stand before it goes in the garage. An £8 litre bottle of oil has lasted for over 8 months and still got plenty left. It seems to do the trick for me. I bought a DID520VX2 chain and chain tool a few months ago expecting the chain to be on it's way out... Who knows when it's going to be too worn...But I'm ready when it does need chaning...

Chris

Edited by chicken george