Chain, again

Guest esullivan

Changing just the chain without the sprockets wouldn't be the best thing to do. At the same time mine chain was always lubed and still failed. I suppose it is because of my a bit more aggressive riding style. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• prr

• Marte

• Slowboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May be I'm a bit odd, but I gave had chain drive bikes for years, and the odd shaft drive, and on the NC, the replacement chain provided under warranty was adjusted once at the 8000 mile service (actu

Maybe it's riding style, then. Clearly, lots of people do not have a problem with the chain, and to them we must just look like a bunch of cry babies. I don't think I'm a cry baby. I'm not alone in no

I ride 80km per day, a good half of it on motorway not half as cramped as the where you dwell. The weather is surely fairer here also, but I'm basically on the same figures: 22000km before changing

Mike5100

17500 miles on my chain and sprocket so far and only adjusted it once. I bought a new sprocket so I had something to compare the old one to. It's hardly worn. Maybe I just got lucky. Ride in all weathers and oil my chain with 80W/90 gear oil using an old fashion style oil can every other day (150 miles) when I get home, definitely better to do this with a warm chain. Removed the Tutoro oiler as it was getting all gunked up around the swing arm.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Chris 

Chris - I am tempted to try this technique as it is easy to flip the centre stand down and rotate the wheel by hand and it takes maybe 30 seconds to get oil on all the rollers.  But - the messy part is always getting protection on the side-plates of the chain which on both my standard oem chains have gone rusty pretty quickly.  Do you pay any attention to the side plates?

Mike

Guest chicken george

Changing just the chain without the sprockets wouldn't be the best thing to do. At the same time mine chain was always lubed and still failed. I suppose it is because of my a bit more aggressive riding style. 

I measured my rear sprocket and compared it to my new one and there is hardly any ware at all. So why would I need to replace it?

Chris - I am tempted to try this technique as it is easy to flip the centre stand down and rotate the wheel by hand and it takes maybe 30 seconds to get oil on all the rollers.  But - the messy part is always getting protection on the side-plates of the chain which on both my standard oem chains have gone rusty pretty quickly.  Do you pay any attention to the side plates?

Mike

Mike,

During the winter months I did pop some oil on a rag and run it over the side plates after I had cleaned the bike and chain (mostly weekly). But I haven't needed to for ages. If you look really close they have a spot surface rust. I think the chain will stretch and/or joints will seize up before the chain side plates rust enough to worry about.

Cheers

As soon as the sprocket is wear it will quickly damage the chain as well. And the chain is the more expensive part. More info about the sprocket wear HERE

Guest chicken george

I'm not an expert on this matter but I disagree. However, if I'm wrong then it's going to cost me more money in the long run.

So, if I change my chain (myself) and leave the sprocket, which is no where near worn, then its going to cost £70.

If I change both, because the sprocket "will" wear out in the future, then it will cost me £110.

I check my rear sprocket every time I oil the chain. So I hope I'd spot when it gets close to need replacing.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I got a call from Honda dealer and they are changing the chain next Thursday. Meanwhile I bought a second bike ... for track days - CBR F4i :)

Chain and sprockets changed under warranty at 19371kms. The clock too.