Servicing - where do you do it?

Guest kordun

Guest kordun

Hi guys

Just wondering whether you service your NC at the dealer you bought your bike from or some other places?

I managed to do 590 miles on my NC and need to arrange first service. I bought my bike from honda dealer which is about 20miles away from me but there is another honda only 3 miles from me. Should i just stick to one where i bought my bike or just use any other dealer or independent garage

Cheers

Guest Murcuseo

I got my 600 service as part of the purchase price from the dealers but they really let me down with the pricing of the 8000 mile service.

The initial quote was between £500-£600, which literally made me laugh in the guys face. I said he must be kidding and he went to speak to the mechanics.

He came back and said between £400-£500. I laughed again and said I'd go elsewhere as it was obvious they were trying to fleece me.

They won't be getting any further business from me.

When I got home I phoned another Honda dealers that's about 50 miles away and they quoted me £250, which included the valve clearance.

I got the bike booked in there and then.

Stick with the original dealers if they offer good pricing and good service. It'll also help with any warranty claims.

Apply the same moral compass to them as you would to any other dealer. If you think they're trying to rip you off then take your business elsewhere. 

Always research your costing online before you get quotes from dealers to help you define your average costing.

Guest bonekicker

Mil do be very careful, it doe's seem nowadays that the garages can't be trusted on pricing anymore, I can't give you any other advice than that only because I don't trust them anymore, sad days I afraid. :frantics:

Good Luck

Ride Safe and Live Long :D

bikerbampi

It seems obvious that there is some questionable practice going on with some dealers about service pricing. 

I believe the answer lies with Honda themselves to make it clear what the servicing costs are so that customers can have an informed choice.

This also applies to other manufacturers of course.  :thumbsup:

Rocker66

Mil do be very careful, it doe's seem nowadays that the garages can't be trusted on pricing anymore, I can't give you any other advice than that only because I don't trust them anymore, sad days I afraid. :frantics:

Good Luck

Ride Safe and Live Long :D

Would be fairer if you said some garages

Rocker66

Some garages!!!???

Yes as your statement isn't true of all garages many of which offer good service at acceptable rates

Rocker66

Not being PC just being fair to those dealers that give good service. I'm lucky that I deal with an excellent one

DB1965

Hi all just had the first service last Friday even though i had clocked up 1300 miles this was fine when spoke to the mech no probs all okay £107 & fitted my tomtom hardwire free so i asked for price for the second service ie 8000 mile £210-£220 quoted  thought this was reasonable so will use them Dobles of Coulsdon,  oh this included her majesty government fleecing as well  :D i will be doing my own oil changes after another 4000m and then take it in for the 8000m they did say 8000m or 1 year whatevers first i don,t think so!!! i will do my weekly's chain air ect and a regular 4000m oil change at home and up rate the brake pads when time to replace will be looking to replace the boots on the 8k as a set (If they last that long  :ermm: ),  currently running pirelies to some Michelin road pilots 4's :hyper: Looking to do a little vid of my oxford twin USB socket installation into the Fank as scary stuff for some me included, im nooo expert by any means but hopefully might be helpful for some as they say a picture all be it a moving one is as good as a thousand words! if interested may do one for the rad guard ,cotton reels crash bars fog lights and some other small bit and bobs sucking eggs for some of you i know but it may help just one it,s worth it you tell me  ;)

Edited by DB1965
Guest Southerner

I got my 600 service as part of the purchase price from the dealers but they really let me down with the pricing of the 8000 mile service.

The initial quote was between £500-£600, which literally made me laugh in the guys face. I said he must be kidding and he went to speak to the mechanics.

He came back and said between £400-£500. I laughed again and said I'd go elsewhere as it was obvious they were trying to fleece me.When I got home I phoned another Honda dealers that's about 50 miles away and they quoted me £250, which included the valve clearance.

OK, a honda main dealer quoted £500-£600??!! Really?

And if your X is a 750, valves aren't due until around 15k miles.

Guest susiebe

Perhaps we could start a Recommended Dealers page, if you get good service and fair price let everyone else know where you go

Could rate them on different aspects - knowledge, pricing, location, ability and willingness to go that 'extra mile' for their customer. On a sliding scale of 1 - 10 with

One being . . . . . 'that experience was totally pain free and made me feel good and put a smile on my face'

through to 10 . . . . . 'OUCH, that really hurt , call a paramedic I'm going into a hissy fit . I will never ever come here again grrhhhh ! !

Or if you'd rather keep it more positive just put on people you recommend, if your local dealer doesn't appear . . . . Perhaps there is a good reason for that

Yes as your statement isn't true of all garages many of which offer good service at acceptable rates

Who do you use Rocker?

Rocker66

Kent motorcycles Barham. They are locate on the A2 between Canterbury and Dover so ideal for those travelling to/from the Channel Ports. I know of plenty of their regular customers that pass other Honda dealers to deal with them. They also have a cafe on site.

Their service is probably the main reason we stay with Hondas

Guest scrumpymike

"... £107 & fitted my tomtom hardwire free..."

That's another example of dealer pricing inconsistency - bought my bike from Doble's and they quoted me £125! My local Honda dealer, Branson's in Yeovil, did it for £99. I am happy with them as I got great service and support on my 700X and my TDM900. Like Rocker, I think myself lucky to have a good local dealer - if you can call a 36-mile round trip local. Never mind - any excuse for a ride :D

Guest susiebe

"... £107 & fitted my tomtom hardwire free..."

That's another example of dealer pricing inconsistency - bought my bike from Doble's and they quoted me £125! My local Honda dealer, Branson's in Yeovil, did it for £99. I am happy with them as I got great service and support on my 700X and my TDM900. Like Rocker, I think myself lucky to have a good local dealer - if you can call a 36-mile round trip local. Never mind - any excuse for a ride :D

I actually do a 100 mile round trip to get to my dealer !

Rocker66

mines around 60 miles round trip. I used to more than that to get to work each day

Rev Ken

I actually do a 100 mile round trip to get to my dealer !

My nearest dealer involves a round trip of 100 miles but, although there's nothing wrong with them, I go to where I have bought my last three bikes (Lancaster Honda which for some reason is in Morecame) a round trip on nearly 200 miles, as not only do they look after me very well, but it is a great ride!

• Like 1

I'll be sticking with Lancaster Honda for my servicing.

Guest bluepaul40

Just booked my 750x in for its first service at John Banks Honda Bury St Edmunds they are charging £130 all in which is a bloody expensive oil change IMHO .

Rocker66

Just booked my 750x in for its first service at John Banks Honda Bury St Edmunds they are charging £130 all in which is a bloody expensive oil change IMHO .

I agree when many are paying only £99 and some of us only paid for the oil and filters with the labour FOC

Guest bluepaul40

Just contacted Lings Honda who are about 25 miles away from me and they quote £125 so obviously us out here in the wilds of Norfolk and Suffolk have to pay roughly the same from both our major dealers.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest honeypablo

Just contacted Chiswick Honda and their price for a 600mile first service on a 750 DCT was quoted as £160 ex. vat,   they then asked "did you buy the bike from us"  when I said they didn't supply I was told it'd be 20% more!!!!

The woman on the phone was helpful and they came back to me with an improved price.   Given labour makes up so much of these charges it's to be expected that London dealers will typically charge more,  but the discrepancy is big.

I can imagine for 'big' services it will almost make sense to book in a different part of the country and make the trip.

P.

steelhorseuk

NC700SA.

First service = Free including everything (condition of purchase)

8K = £108-00 inc VAT (I supplied the oil and oil filter (K&N) and supplied and fitted the air filter myself saving an hours labour charge)

Graftons Honda Milton Keynes.

Mark

Guest kentishtiger

I use them too Rocker, even though I live in Maidstone and have nearer dealers. There service is excellent and will even advise you if you don't need something doing thus saving you money. As they say, they would rather have you as a return customer, rather than fleece you to not return.

Another reason for using them there's some good twisties between Maidstone and there on the way.

• Like 1