Servicing - where do you do it?

Guest kordun

Dave H

Perhaps we could start a Recommended Dealers page, if you get good service and fair price let everyone else know where you go

If nothing else it would give you something to compare.   "You want how much?,  @£$%$ Honda will do the same service for £xxx"

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Guest baskiria

My 1000km service was $112 USD, 1 hour of work. Included oil chance (Repsol 10W-40), oil filter and DCT filter, general checkup (what to check on a brand new bike?), plus they washed the bike :) Next service claimed to be $150ish with valve clearance check.

Guest dentonlad

My 1000km service was $112 USD, 1 hour of work. Included oil chance (Repsol 10W-40), oil filter and DCT filter, general checkup (what to check on a brand new bike?), plus they washed the bike :) Next service claimed to be $150ish with valve clearance check.

That's about £70. Your next service which should be annual or 8000 miles (just shy of 13,000km) shouldn't need the valves checking as on the 750 they don't need doing until 16,000 miles. It's the 700's where the check's at 8,000.

At the moment my 750x has only done 350 miles. I will be taking it to the main dealer in Bournemouth for the 600 service but then I will prob do it myself. I work on bikes all the time as a hobby and this looks a doddle to work on

Guest Southerner

$112 USD is pretty good, given the exchange rate between the £ and the $ right now.

But you have a 750, so why does the next service include a valve check, unless you plan on doing 16,000 miles between now and then??

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thwaitie

Just adding to known dealership prices.

My 750XA supplier Grantham Honda, did the first 600 mile service & checks for £100.10 - a free can of coke while waiting the hour it took.  Its about a 90 mile return trip, but no worries when actually enjoying an extended 200 mile excursion by time I get home. 

Asking for a price on the 8,000 mile or annual services he mentioned around £125, except for if it required further valve checks etc which would then whop it up just above £500.  By then however, I;ll probably be ensuring my own feeler gauges are well oiled.

Guest Southerner

Asking for a price on the 8,000 mile or annual services he mentioned around £125, except for if it required further valve checks etc which would then whop it up just above £500.  By then however, I;ll probably be ensuring my own feeler gauges are well oiled.

So that's around £375 to do the valves then?!

Great value - not!

Guest Thwaitie

There would also be an air filter change, which In fact probably takes them longer to change than checking the valves.

My K&N has arrived, so that should  be another tick off the check list anyway, if I dare take the bike apart to fit it myself.

Guest Peterpoddy

(what to check on a brand new bike?)

Everything. Nuts, bolts, head bearings, chain, tyre pressures, gear operation, cables for slack....everything!

When it's new, everything beds in, and that when it goes loose. First service is the most important!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be heading out to Wheels Honda for my services as long as the warranty is still active (or as long as I don't bin it or void the warranty some other way).

Pricing seems reasonable, first service is £99, not sure about subsequent ones but shouldn't imagine they are too expensive. Wheels is reputable and are the "official dealers" of Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati (IIRC), Piaggo / Vespa, Aprilia.

They offered a double warranty, I believe Honda only offers a parts warranty, the dealership themselves extend that to 5 years or so, and add labor. Sounded like a good deal when I spoke to them anyway.

What I'd advise is if you're within warranty, and if you're not strapped for cash, keep going to the same place. If they quote you something you don't trust, get another quote and have a grumble at them. If they don't come up with anything better you might actually do well to contact Honda themselves and complain, if the garage sports a Honda badge, they probably have some sort of fair trading agreement meaning they can't give a negative impression of the Honda brand.

Once I'm out of warranty I'll be doing oil / filters, pads, gaskets, seals, sprockets, chains myself, but leaving anything electrical to the garage. An oil & filter change costs me £30, garage charges £100. However, a 2000 mile clutch failure costs me £300, with the garage that'd be covered by warranty. Might do well to think of it as insurance I guess.

ATB, hope whatever happens you get a good service and a good deal.

Rocker66

Never paid any labour charges on any Honda warranty work which included a new frame being fitted to Sue's Hornet despite the fact that it was actually out of warranty

Rocker66

I'll be heading out to Wheels Honda for my services as long as the warranty is still active (or as long as I don't bin it or void the warranty some other way).

Pricing seems reasonable, first service is £99, not sure about subsequent ones but shouldn't imagine they are too expensive. Wheels is reputable and are the "official dealers" of Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Ducati (IIRC), Piaggo / Vespa, Aprilia.

They offered a double warranty, I believe Honda only offers a parts warranty, the dealership themselves extend that to 5 years or so, and add labor. Sounded like a good deal when I spoke to them anyway.

What I'd advise is if you're within warranty, and if you're not strapped for cash, keep going to the same place. If they quote you something you don't trust, get another quote and have a grumble at them. If they don't come up with anything better you might actually do well to contact Honda themselves and complain, if the garage sports a Honda badge, they probably have some sort of fair trading agreement meaning they can't give a negative impression of the Honda brand.

Once I'm out of warranty I'll be doing oil / filters, pads, gaskets, seals, sprockets, chains myself, but leaving anything electrical to the garage. An oil & filter change costs me £30, garage charges £100. However, a 2000 mile clutch failure costs me £300, with the garage that'd be covered by warranty. Might do well to think of it as insurance I guess.

ATB, hope whatever happens you get a good service and a good deal.

Just checked my warranty book and I quote "the repair will free of charge for materials and or labour"

Just checked my warranty book and I quote "the repair will free of charge for materials and or labour"

Interesting - it's probably just a warranty extension then... Actually just bothered to look it up, and this is what it says:

Yes you have read it correctly - Wheels Motorcycles offer a lifetime guarantee on all new and used motorcycles over 500cc purchased from ourselves with less than 30,000 miles or younger than 10 years at the time of purchase for all Kawasaki, Suzuki, Aprilia, Honda and Yamaha models for as long as you keep it.

Wheels Motorcycles decided to take this step two years ago after previously charging for the guarantee and finding its benefits so attractive to the customer and for Wheels Motorcycles with its added customer retention.

There are no gimmicks or overpriced service charges. We simply ask that you maintain the vehicle at its normal service intervals (first service 600 miles then generally 4,000 to 6,000 miles or annually) with ourselves.

Included in this guarantee we also give away free MOT’s when required hopefully enabling you to have many years of stress free motorcycling.

There are no complicated or extra terms and conditions to this guarantee we simply extend what would be our normal used bike warranty conditions for the lifetime that you own the vehicle.

Also, if you are one of our low annual mileage customers, no need to worry about huge service costs we will simply complete a cheaper interim service and safety check annually to maintain your warranty.

This guarantee takes the risk and worries away from the purchaser and leaves it with us, your local dealer. So with all this and hundreds of bikes to choose from as well as great finance and part exchange prices call in to see us today.

Pretty good sounding deal I guess... Either way, I'll stick with it until the bike is old enough that I don't really care... :D

Thanks for the info though, good to know.

Rocker66

You mentioned doing the oil & filter change yourself which would invalidate the above warranty as it states "  We simply ask that you maintain the vehicle at its normal service intervals (first service 600 miles then generally 4,000 to 6,000 miles or annually) with ourselves."

Edited by Rocker66

You mentioned doing the oil & filter change yourself which would invalidate the above warranty

Sorry, I meant I'll keep paying for the services until the warranty expires or I give up on it :)

Guest Southerner

My two nearest Honda dealers are Doble in Coulsdon and P&H in Crawley.

Not due yet, but purely out of curiosity I called both of them last week to ask how much they charge for the 8000 mile/1year service, but bearing in mind that the bike will have only 4000 miles on it at one year old.

P&H quoted £245 plus VAT which included replacing the spark plugs(!) - WTF? LOL

Doble's quoted a far more reasonable £145 inc VAT for an annual check per handbook, based on the low -ish mileage. Plus I get a further £20 off that with the vouchers they gave me when I bought the bike.

Dealers and servicing....lol.  My recent Harley experience with Edinburgh Harley.

When in negotiations I asked if the bike I was purchasing could have an oil and filter change. No I was told as it hadn't done the mileage required so said the salesman who shall remain anonymous. Yet within the month of owning the bike I received a letter stating - our records show your bike will be requiring a service shortly....lol  

Don't you just love dealers..

I am lucky to have an excellent dealer nearby who happens to be fitting two new Michelin pilot roads on my s today after a puncture in the rear tyre. The dealer where I bought the bike supplies the best deals on bikes in our area but the servicing lets the company down. 

Two new michelin pilot roads, with some sort of sealant put into the tyres to help with punctures, wheels re-balanced,test rode by the mechanic £262. Not sure if this is a decent price or not. But the bike is amazing with these tyres on and the tyre tread is quite an aggressive horizontal pattern and looks good as well.