2nd Service, how much did you pay (8k miles or 12 months)

Guest Smidsy

dazznutts

Just had the 8k service done today by Kent Motorcycles price including vat was £144 1 & 1/2 hours labour rest for oil - filter etc

When i got home i'd thought i would have a quick look around the bike and found some things i wasn't happy about

On looking at the ends of cables i.e clutch cable on gearbox lever accelerator assembly and Clucth/brake levers brake pedal  i found they were a bit dry and could of done

with a bit of grease on them.

On phoning the dealer was told they only do what is on the service schedule and those parts are my responsibility and to look in my manual to see what

should be done on a service.

So now im thinking what is the point of paying for a service when i have to do routine maintenance myself.

On another note they tried to sell me Honda/OEM front brake pads at £48 as my ones are low 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dazznutts

• Rocker66

• rjp996

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Craig replied to me am now satisfied on the outcome to restore my faith in them

I was quoted £140 for 8k service for my NC700X manual without valve check. Went for independent for £88 as I was not sure if there is any benefit by doing it with the Honda dealer.   I have paid £28

Off at a tangent ........   but customer service related.   A friend has a nice Merc SLK but the calipers and disc centres were looking scruffy, so I had the job of painting the visible bits a nic

Rocker66

Just had the 8k service done today by Kent Motorcycles price including vat was £144 1 & 1/2 hours labour rest for oil - filter etc

When i got home i'd thought i would have a quick look around the bike and found some things i wasn't happy about

On looking at the ends of cables i.e clutch cable on gearbox lever accelerator assembly and Clucth/brake levers brake pedal  i found they were a bit dry and could of done

with a bit of grease on them.

On phoning the dealer was told they only do what is on the service schedule and those parts are my responsibility and to look in my manual to see what

should be done on a service.

So now im thinking what is the point of paying for a service when i have to do routine maintenance myself.

On another note they tried to sell me Honda/OEM front brake pads at £48 as my ones are low 

I had a 8K service done by the same firm today and got exactly what I expected which was a service as per the service schedule. As they said other items are the owners responsibility and should be done on a regular basis.

Quite honestly a 8K service is what you paid for and a 8K service is what you got

dazznutts

Didn't see you there - but in any case if we go onto service items in what it says in the manual/service booklet that comes with the bike then why do they strip the brakes

and insist it's on the manufactures service - this isn't listed in the booklet !!!

All points that needed to be greased needed greasing so there's no excuse in my eyes for not doing it - took me just over 5 minutes to do

If im playing a workshop to service my bike i shouldn't have to go over it with a fine tooth comb to see whats been/not done.

Obviously I check and oil my chain regularly.

Going back to the manual it doesn't say i have to grease what should obviously be done on a service 

Rocker66

We got there about 13:20 as my bike was booked in at 14:00. 

To my mind greasing things such as cables is just common sense and bikers have been doing this themselves for years.As to the brakes I think you will find it on the Honda health check. personally i always tell them that if something is not going to last until the next service tell me and i will decide whether to have it fitted at this service or later on. A Honda dealer selling genuine Honda spares seems is no big surprise I mean would you go into Burger King and expect them to sell you a Big Mac?

dazznutts

i was in there first thing to have bike serviced at 08:30 - 

With regards to service if anything else needed doing - the guy from the desk "Paul" came and got me within 10 minutes trying to sell me a set of front brake pads at £48 not once but twice the second time he bought the old pads with him and offered a 10% discount - i told i have a set of EBC at home to which he said they are no good your better to put on Honda ones -

On another note why not say to me the mechanic has noticed all greased parts needs greasing would you like us to do it !!! as they are suppose to do a check of the bike

i.e. clutch operation - accelerator  surely by looking at these he would of known they needed greasing as he did adjust the clutch play. 

With reference to the Honda health check - which wasn't stated by them when i asked a question they said what is scheduled on the service is in your hand book so next time

i will stick to what the hand book says should be done on the next service 16k

And yes ive been doing what bikers do for ages own services including lubing cables springs levers etc but ive bought a new bike so having the service done by a dealer for the warranty where i would expect these bits to be done.

I'm very disappointed as used them on the 600 miles service all bits were squirted greased etc a bit let down this time

Them brake pads have gone up by £8 pound in a few months, they were 40 when the same thing you had was said a few months ago. As to the grease points , that what makes a good dealer stand out from the rest, and in a competetive business climate if i were the dealer i may take this on board. When my bike was serviced the frunk catches and rear locking area were covered in red grease, attention to detail . To be told only following schedule is a bit poor and not very confidence inspiring. Saying this though no other dealer will service my bike other than these guys as ther overall work is worth more than a dab of grease, although i will tell them to apply if needed. I get my pads fitted in london a fast fit type of bike ct and they are £30 fitted , clean and quick GREASE. ebc as well.

Rocker66

Seems strange to me that if this dealer is as bad as dazznuts claims that people travel miles even passing other Honda dealers to get their bikes serviced there. In all the years I have used them this is the first negative comment I have heard about them. There have certainly been plenty of positive ones from members of this forum

getting back to the valve check costs ,now ive done 4 id say a competant mechanic with all garage facilities could do it in under half an hour without draining the radiator.

also should cables be greased on modern lined cables ?

dazznutts

Seems strange to me that if this dealer is as bad as dazznuts claims that people travel miles even passing other Honda dealers to get their bikes serviced there. In all the years I have used them this is the first negative comment I have heard about them. There have certainly been plenty of positive ones from members of this forum

I used them for 600 mile service in December and could not fault service i received cost/time and what was done.

This time round for the 8k service it was a different story shame really as they are the best priced for servicing.

As i said earlier they seems more interested in selling me a set of front pads for £48.

On another note when i did my front pads today i noticed both studs on the calliper were slightly rounded and really tight so they will need

replacing.

I agree with dazz I will not be using kents again better to service your own bike really, have had trouble with the nc and H didn't want to know made a load of shit up, won't use them ever again he's alright selling bikes once he's done that.. He don't wana know

I agree with dazz I will not be using kents again better to service your own bike really, have had trouble with the nc and H didn't want to know made a load of shit up, won't use them ever again he's alright selling bikes once he's done that.. He don't wana know

Rocker66

Well your entitled to your opinion however I know plenty of people that return there time and time again to both buy their bikes and get them serviced.

Off at a tangent ........

but customer service related.

A friend has a nice Merc SLK but the calipers and disc centres were looking scruffy, so I had the job of painting the visible bits a nice silver. While doing it I found a nail in one (very big and expensive) tyre. No loss of pressure but it looked like a pretty big nail so suggested they took it to a tyre dealership in Warwick which has a very good reputation. You don't want cowboys butchering AMG wheels.

I once had a puncture in a car which my nearby tyre place said couldn't be fixed and they'd happily sell me a new tyre, but I took it to this other place and they fixed it no issues.

Anyway, they took the nail out and it turned out it was very short and hadn't gone right through. They then checked all the other wheels/tyres, refitted the suspect one, and refused any payment as no fix had been done. They know how to build a reputation and gain a customer base.

• Like 1
dazznutts

I will return to Kent Motorcycle's now - i've had a nice reply from them which has cleared up the issue

Rocker66

I will return to Kent Motorcycle's now - i've had a nice reply from them which has cleared up the issue

That's certainly good to hear

dazznutts

Hmmm gave you some bull shit did he you'll just get sucked back in don't trust

I did email Thursday night and got a phone call Friday morning with a following up email offering to supply/fit bolts etc damaged also a meal while i wait

in the cafe - the point is they have admitted the errors straight away not many companies do this 

• Like 1
Guest phantom309

i paid £260 for 8000 miles service.( thunder road , gloucester )to be told by my friend his was done for £120 and £130 for 16,000...... ( sutton M/C) bromsgrove ...bit if a differance ...

dazznutts

Honda says 8k service should take 2 1/2hrs some dealers charge for that time this service should take 1 1/2 hrs tops

Rocker66

Hmmm gave you some bull shit did he you'll just get sucked back in don't trust im

Well he has been in the trade since the early 70s having built up from being the Saturday boy at Geoff Darryn M/Cs in Sandwich which is where we met him to owning a very successful dealership which has a very good reputation to the extent that people travel quite a distance to deal there. I don't see how he would do that if people didn't trust him.I'm sure that people would not go back time and time again if they didn't get good service I know I wouldn't.

dazznutts

Well he has been in the trade since the early 70s having built up from being the Saturday boy at Geoff Darryn M/Cs in Sandwich which is where we met him to owning a very successful dealership which has a very good reputation to the extent that people travel quite a distance to deal there. I don't see how he would do that if people didn't trust him.I'm sure that people would not go back time and time again if they didn't get good service I know I wouldn't.

Craig replied to me am now satisfied on the outcome to restore my faith in them

• Like 2
rjp996

Had my second service at Kent motorcycles today. 1.5hrs labour and £155 inc vat, so way cheaper then the £295 quoted by P&H in Crawley. Bike all looks good to me and feels nice. Only advisory or some tight links in the chain, suggesting I look to change it at some time in the nr future given the high miles I do. Nice breakfast whilst I waited too.

• Like 1

Will be booking my nc 700s  in for a service at kent motorcycles this week, have had advice and service from H on a few occasions, he seems a very nice guy and runs a nice business , very busy at times and all needing immediate attention from him. , if you have lost faith with these guys , i wish you a vast amount of luck with the kent alternatives. :bye: . Ihope i havent spoken to soon, i let you know how it goes . Also a free breakfast with every service booked would be great, iam sure i could guess his answer though. :D

• Like 1
Guest DelBoy

@DelBoy: Also just realised that as I have a K&N Filter fitted the service should have been less the price of one..

Just warn the shop and check they don't chuck the K&N away...

Air filter change not done at 8k anyway...

Guest EasyTiger

FWIW here's  the Maintenance Schedule for the 2012 Honda NC700X/XA/SA according to a printout from the service department of a Honda dealer (consult your owner's manual or Honda Service manual):

Fuel Line: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Throttle Operation: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Air Cleaner: replace every 19,200 km / 12,000 mi (more frequently when riding in unusually wet or dusty conditions)
Crankcase Breather: clean every 6,400 km / 4,000 mi (more frequently when riding in rain or at full throttle)
Spark Plug: inspect every 25,600 km / 16,000 mi, replace every 51,200 km / 32,000 mi
Valve Clearance: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi (screw type adjusters, not shims)
Engine Oil: initially at 1000 km / 600 mi or one month, then every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi or 12 months
Engine Oil Filter: initially at 1000 km / 600 mi or one month, then every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi or 12 months
Engine Idle Speed: inspect at 1000 km / 600 mi, then at 6400 km / 4000 mi
Coolant: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi; replace every 2 years or 38,400 km / 24,000 mi, whichever comes first
Cooling System: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Evaporative Emission Control System (NC700X - USA only): inspect every 19,200 km / 12,000 mi
Drive Chain: inspect / lubricate every 800 km / 500 mi
Brake Fluid: inspect every 6,400 km / 4,000 mi and replace every 2 years or every 19,200 km / 12,000 mi, whichever comes first
Brake Pads: inspect every 6,400 km / 4,000 mi
Brake System: inspect at 1000 km / 600 mi and then every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Brake Light Switch: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Headlight Aim: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Clutch System: inspect at 1000 km / 600 mi and then every 6,400 km / 4,000 mi
Sidestand: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Suspension: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners: inspect at 1000 km / 600 mi and then every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Wheels / Tires: inspect every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi
Steering Head Bearings: inspect at 1000 km / 600 mi and then every 12,800 km / 8,000 mi

Source: http://motorsportrider.net/Forum/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=42