• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dazznutts

• Rocker66

• pointer2null

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£99 to £110 is the general price around so that my friend is a rip - off.....

Yep too high. Dandemann's prices are probably around the norm.

Had my NC750S serviced at Kent Motorcycles this morning - first service had cover 897 miles in 20 days  at a cost of £99.36 inclusive of labour parts and vat very pleased compared to Laguna Maidstone

dandemann8

£99 to £110 is the general price around so that my friend is a rip - off..... ;)

• Like 1
Guest EasyTiger

First services used to be free - you only paid for the consumables. (Oil and washers).

Now it seems discretionary, and nearly all charge. The quote is well above what might reasonably be expected.

Undoing the banjo bolts and inspecting the pads might be something a keen owner or independent might do, but pretty surprising after two weeks /600 miles.

Rocker is always posting about good service at Kent Motorcycles at Barham. "They are located on the A2 between Canterbury and Dover so ideal for those travelling to/from the Channel Ports. I know of plenty of their regular customers that pass other Honda dealers to deal with them. They also have a cafe on site.

Their service is probably the main reason we stay with Hondas."

Why not get a quote over the phone? It's a standard item.

Worth a search on "First Service" on here too.

http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic/2161-first-600-miles-service-costs/page-9?hl=service#entry56838

Edited by EasyTiger

Blimey! £163? Sounds high to me. (Mine was free). Lord knows how much they charge for a first service on the CB500 models as the valve clearances need doing on that one...

I remember first services always being free of charge for both parts & labour. It was even mentioned in the service book.

I think it was actually Honda that first introduced charges, much to the general disbelief that anyone would pay for a service after only 600 miles.

But they got away with it & everyone else followed suit.

Very high.  Shop around.  £64.99 for mine.  Thats Belfast Honda.

Might be a bit on the dear side if you count in the return ferry and petrol.

Mo.

Yep too high. Dandemann's prices are probably around the norm.

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

£85 for mine they all charge different prices, just show the prices we have paid and see if the price will come down, worth a try or go somewhere else :blink:  

Rocker66

Blimey! £163? Sounds high to me. (Mine was free). Lord knows how much they charge for a first service on the CB500 models as the valve clearances need doing on that one...

Sorry Ted your out of date on that one. It was true on the 2013 models but not on the 2014 models.. It is well documented on the CB500X forum

£123 from Johns of Romford. So that's a little on the high side, but not a complete rip off. Their labour charge was about £59, the rest was consumables and VAT. They did it at my appointment time and while I waited too, which is very useful for me.

Definitely sounds high, the first service on the NC750S DCT that I had was £100.

Guest Southerner

A full strip and clean of brakes - why?

Tell them not to do that, which will then probably reduce the service cost to a more reasonable £110 ish...

Agree that over £100 for 600 mile service is way too high, mine was free (including consumables) as a long time regular customer from CJ Ball in Norwich - it was part of the deal and a good incentive to replace my 4 yr old Biffer with them. Got several after market parts (Stand, Heated Grips, Screen, Rack) fitted FOC too!  Smug?  You bet I am, LOL.  Always worth haggling extras into the price when purchasing a new bike.

TT

dazznutts

Ive emailed the dealer asking questions etc

They charge £60ph + vat £72ph labour

Not had an answer yet

motorbykcourier

Darren,

I don't think the hourly rate can really be questioned - we all have our rate to run our business.

But, what sticks out here for me is WHY did they feel the need to strip and clean the brakes - I think that's what you should question.

This is where they scored an extra hour for sure.

I paid just over £100 and am not grumbling (too much)

dazznutts

Ok thanks Steve will challenge while the feel the need that the brakes should be stripped/cleaned

Guest Southerner

Ok thanks Steve will challenge while the feel the need that the brakes should be stripped/cleaned

Darren, challenge by all means but whatever they say tell them 'no thanks' - it's not part of the schedule for the 600 mile service and as Steve (two posts above) says, that's where the extra hour's labour is coming from..

You could also let Honda know about this sharp practice that they're trying on with you.

Guest Southerner

I actually just called them and was quoted £164.98 for the 600 mile service (it's gone up a quid since you were quoted!)

The bloke said a 'brake pad check' and didn't mention brake disassembly - but I felt it was all rather vague. At the end of the day it's an oil and filter change and the tech can do some of the checks whilst the oil is draining. It needs no more than one hour's labour.

It's at least £50 over normal for that service - I wouldn't darken their doorstep, that's for sure.

Unfortunately it's a bit late for you to take it somewhere else as you probably need it done about now. Check your options for the next service when the time comes.

What I would do is called Doble in Coulsdon and P&H in Crawley and ask what they charge. If it's significantly less, I'd raise that with Laguna.

• Solution
dazznutts

Ive just spoken to Kent motorcycles in Canterbury and they have an hours labour at £55 plus oil filter and vat so should be under the £100 mark - only downside is ill do a 60 mile round trip instead of 25

Rocker66

Ive just spoken to Kent motorcycles in Canterbury and they have an hours labour at £55 plus oil filter and vat so should be under the £100 mark - only downside is ill do a 60 mile round trip instead of 25

Well the saving would pay for the extra fuel several times over. You will get a decent job done and you can have a decent breakfast whilst your waiting. That's the sort of reasons people travel a lot further to use them including some who even brave the Dartford crossing to get there

dazznutts

Laguna called asking while I canceled wasn't too exact with

My answer but I challenge them about the brake issue while they

Do a strip clean etc they said cause the mechanics like to but you

Don't have to have done ?

dazznutts

Kent motorcycles have quoted

Labour x 1 hour £ 55.00 + vat

Oil, filter, sump washer and brake paste = £31.03 + vat

Total =£103.23 inc. vat