Accessory relay fuse

jereme
Go to solution Solved by jereme,

Test ride completed, 40 mins with spots on and grips on 100% (jeez my hands got hot) and all still working. I even charged my phone in the frunk for good measure.

Had a quick peek in the battery compartment and nothing on fire.

Jereme, if you need anything I would be happy to help as I think I know what I am doing now and it seems that we have the same accessories.

• Like 1

Test ride completed, 40 mins with spots on and grips on 100% (jeez my hands got hot) and all still working. I even charged my phone in the frunk for good measure.

Had a quick peek in the battery compartment and nothing on fire.

Jereme, if you need anything I would be happy to help as I think I know what I am doing now and it seems that we have the same accessories.

Well done getting it all sorted. I had a look at the battery and there is a feed coming off it but it was hard to see where it was going round the back of the frunk somewhere. The wiring from the lights appear to go directly to the sub harness and not to the battery.

The problem is there are so many wires taped up, shrink wrapped, etc and I am rather reluctant to go tearing it all apart to see what is going on. In some respects I think it was easier on previous machines where I have added these accessories myself and understood how everything was installed. Because I am wary of causing any damage I have booked it in to Kent motorcycles for them to remedy.

Not realizing that the lights were halogen until now I am tempted to investigate led bulbs to replace the halogen. I only want them to increase my visibility and not as spot lights.

Edited by jereme
MikeBike

Because I am wary of causing any damage I have booked it in to Kent motorcycles for them to remedy.

Did Kent Motorcycles do the original installation of the lights?

i.e. did they install over 9 amps of lights, on top of 1A socket, and 2-3A heated grips totalling about 12-13A on a 7.5A circuit??

If so, they should very shamed and sheepish and AT LEAST be remedying it free of charge. Probably ask them as well how come it worked before - only likely possibilty is they put in a higher fuse as mentioned before.

Please let us know.

Edited by MikeBike

Did Kent Motorcycles do the original installation of the lights?

i.e. did they install over 9 amps of lights, on top of 1A socket, and 2-3A heated grips totalling about 12-13A on a 7.5A circuit??

If so, they should very shamed and sheepish and AT LEAST be remedying it free of charge. Probably ask them as well how come it worked before - only likely possibilty is they put in a higher fuse as mentioned before.

Please let us know.

The receipts I have with the bike  don't show anything for the lights and Kent MC's have no record. They are a fantastic dealer and a good reason to ride a Honda if you are in Kent.

The only  thing that may somehow be related is that shortly after buying the bike I had Kent Motorcycles  remove a datatool alarm (which they installed) because it was malfunctioning.

You're spot on when you say it would have been easier had you installed the lights yourself. The reason I could sort mine out was because I had just installed them and knew where everything was connected to, it would have been quite different had I been looking at someone else's installation with no idea how it had been wired.

Hope Kent Motorcycles get it fixed for you, if it's been wired direct to the sub harness we now know that's definitely wrong, you can't put 110 watts on a 7.5 amp fused harness without getting into trouble so I can't see them holding their hands up to that job, but as you say it may well not be their installation anyway.

On the bright side, the spots are great when working. They're nice and stable on the engine bars and make you much more visible especially in the rain or when filtering. The LED's would be nice but the're over twice the price.

Edited by GunnerNC
  • Like 1

Kind of makes you wonder why the LED lights are £100 more than the halogens if you can just bung in £4 worth of replacement bulbs.

There is more to this than meets the eye, me thinks.

Hmmm yes I don't know.  I have ordered some just to see if they stay lit and the relay fuse doesn't blow. This would then maybe confirm for me that there is no actual fault like a short somewhere and that it is just that the lights are being powered by the sub harness.

• Like 1

Good idea, if they bring the load down I guess there is no need to take them off the sub harness (if they're on it now), and you have saved yourself a load of extra work or a load of money if Kent Motorcycles do it for you.

Let us know, if they work fine we might all be doing it

• Like 1
  • Solution

The H3 LED bulbs arrived today. After a short test the lights, heated grips and 12v socket charging my phone are all working with no blown fuses. The LED bulbs are not as bright as 55w halogen but I am quite happy with them just to keep me a little more visible.

I will give it all a proper test run over the weekend and then cancel the booking at the dealers.

Interestingly over the last week I have experienced a definite increase in drivers pulling out in front of me while the extra lights were out of action.

Many thanks for the advice and support, great forum !

led%20h3.jpg

Edited by jereme
  • Like 2