8000 mile service tomorrow

Guest amiga-mark

Guest amiga-mark

So I am taking the Integra to Hunts tomorrow for the 8000 mile service.

They quoted me:

Good morning sir. the 8,000 mile service costs £196.54 including the oil and filter.

Jamie Entwistle - Hunts Motorcycles <entwistlej@huntsmotorcycles.co.uk>
8 Mar
cleardot.gif

Is there anything I need to ask or watch.....the VFR is not avcailable for test ride :( so will be very bored for 3 hours.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• DaveM59

• steelhorseuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dave It is because of the word BIKE. it literally translates to "oh good lets shaft the owner".

Not the dealer I know. Don't you work to have a car and a bike and other nice things. As I said dealers are just like any other business  in that they are designed to make a profit. If you feel that o

I used to have a dealer that not only owned the shop but actually owned the trading estate that it was situated on. The bike shop was basically a hobby as was the race team he ploughed a lot of money

DaveM59

It's a simple as it gets at 8,000. Straight oil and engine filter only and check the crankcase breather and just inspect everything.

£40 parts and an hours work.

I chickened out due to the weather and had my car serviced last year, oil, filter, inspect the rear drum brakes (puller needed), adjust handbrake, new exhaust hanger, inspect cam belt. All in with VAT £110 and about 3 hours as well.  Why so expensive for a bike?

• Like 1

It's a simple as it gets at 8,000. Straight oil and engine filter only and check the crankcase breather and just inspect everything.

I chickened out due to the weather and had my car serviced last year, oil, filter, inspect the rear drum brakes (puller needed), adjust handbrake, new exhaust hanger, inspect cam belt. All in with VAT £110 and about 3 hours as well. Why so expensive for a bike?

Dave

It is because of the word BIKE.

it literally translates to "oh good lets shaft the owner".

• Like 2
MikeBike

It's 25% cheaper here in North Wales - expect about £150.

grilo67

This is my personal view: Motorbikes are looked at as a luxury item. I mean, everything is so expensive when it comes to motorbikes. I was looking at a set of panniers and the tubular mount, saw prices here on the internet that reached the £500 mark! This is only one example!

Guest dentonlad

I chickened out due to the weather and had my car serviced last year, oil, filter, inspect the rear drum brakes (puller needed), adjust handbrake, new exhaust hanger, inspect cam belt. All in with VAT £110 and about 3 hours as well.  Why so expensive for a bike?

At the 8,000 service on the 700 engine the valves are checked and adjusted (if necessary) as well as the oil and filter being changed.

Rocker66

will they tighten the chain if needed?

They should do if they are a decent dealer. Before anyone says anything Yes there are decent ones out there.

DaveM59

Every 8000 by the book...but do they? For that price I'd sit and watch and make sure they do, because a modern synthetically oiled low revving roller rocker OHC motor should go easily 24,000 miles (as the JAZZ motor it is based on does) then Mr Honda has made a big error somewhere. Considering the (once again) ludicrous amount of removal of other components (cowlings, radiators, cooling fans) and potential damage caused and the requirement for replacement gaskets, to more than likely not actually do anything, mine will be being left well alone, plus if you look at the design all wear except valve seat recession will actually open up the gap.

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Mark the price for service is too dear---ask again and look really annoyed--Hunts charged me £7 to dispose of oil--- I did not realize until I got home--tell them you will take it to the recycling centre  for free -- as with Dave above--I don't think the valves need checking at 8000--many members of this forum have paid for this check--and were told the clearances were perfect and did not require adjusting---so they all paid ---for Hondas doutes. :ermm:  

When you are bored and waiting for 3 hours ---work out just how long it will take you to earn after tax--insurance--pension £196.54----the service costs are just made up---I am sure --- By Some Dealers---Not All.  :cry:

Edited by bonekicker
Guest amiga-mark

Hmm, as I got there late my bike was last to be done.......so instead of a VFR1200DCT (none in) I got a Forza 125 as a courtesy and am now back home. One bacon butty and a cup of tea later, and onto the forum.

Will not be ready until later this afternoon. I think I will probably do my own services after this one, if indeed I still have the Integra.

Oh by the way, how dodgy does a scooter feel now after riding a proper bike and chassis....I was shaking like a shitting dog going round bends and in the wind, OMG forgot how unsteady a bit of wind makes a scoot.

However, it was cruising up the M56 at a very comfortable 75 and had more to give, what a lovely engine.  HUUUUUGE frunk by the way.

mcress

I'm doing the 32k miles service on my 750X DCT this week - done all my own servicing since 8k - still haven't checked the valves and it's still as quiet and smooth as the day I bought it.

I may check them at 40K as this will be at about 3 years when I'll do the fluids at the same time.

Cheers,

Mike.

Rocker66

Mark the price for service is too dear---ask again and look really annoyed--Hunts charged me £7 to dispose of oil--- I did not realize until I got home--tell them you will take it to the recycling centre  for free -- as with Dave above--I don't think the valves need checking at 8000--many members of this forum have paid for this check--and were told the clearances were perfect and did not require adjusting---so they all paid ---for Hondas doutes. :ermm:  

When you are bored and waiting for 3 hours ---work out just how long it will take you to earn after tax--insurance--pension £196.54----the service costs are just made up---I am sure --- By Some Dealers---Not All.  :cry:

How about taking into consideration the dealers other costs of electricity business rates contributions to employees pensions public liability insurance  and so on. And being a business not a charity he is allowed to make a profit

steelhorseuk

How about taking into consideration the dealers other costs of electricity business rates contributions to employees pensions public liability insurance  and so on. And being a business not a charity he is allowed to make a profit

And the bosses new Aston Martin ?

-Mark-

Rocker66

And the bosses new Aston Martin ?

-Mark-

Not the dealer I know. Don't you work to have a car and a bike and other nice things. As I said dealers are just like any other business  in that they are designed to make a profit. If you feel that one dealer is ripping customers off the remedy is simple shop elsewhere

• Like 2
steelhorseuk

Not the dealer I know. Don't you work to have a car and a bike and other nice things. As I said dealers are just like any other business  in that they are designed to make a profit. If you feel that one dealer is ripping customers off the remedy is simple shop elsewhere

I did not mean to be flippant Rocker.  Just because I cannot afford expensive items, I do not begrudge others.

I work for a charity, sometimes unpaid. So, every penny I spend has to work hard for me. I could earn more but I choose to work for a charity.

I do not have a car and I would never call a 2012 NC a luxury. 

I actually like my Honda dealers, they are a great bunch but the boss does drive a new Aston Martin.  Maybe not all paid for from dealer costs I am sure.  (heehee)

-Mark-

• Like 1
Rocker66

I did not mean to be flippant Rocker.  Just because I cannot afford expensive items, I do not begrudge others.

I work for a charity, sometimes unpaid. So, every penny I spend has to work hard for me. I could earn more but I choose to work for a charity.

I do not have a car and I would never call a 2012 NC a luxury. 

I actually like my Honda dealers, they are a great bunch but the boss does drive a new Aston Martin.  Maybe not all paid for from dealer costs I am sure.  (heehee)

-Mark-

I used to have a dealer that not only owned the shop but actually owned the trading estate that it was situated on. The bike shop was basically a hobby as was the race team he ploughed a lot of money into.

We live on our pensions so not exactly rolling in money. We simply work on the system of priorities in that what's left after paying for essentials we spend on what gives us the most pleasure. For instance I don't smoke seldom drink and can no longer get to football so I spend it on my love of bikes. There are other things I would love to do but can't afford so I don't do them. 

BTW I used to get one weekend off in 4 and quite often that weekend would be used working (unpaid) on a stall to raise money for the Kent Air Ambulance

• Like 2
Guest bonekicker

Mark don't apologise for not having lots of money to give away--and good for you working for a charity --and some times for no pay--other members are in a totally different position than yourself--and should realize that !!!

Doing the basic serving--maintaince work is what we all should do--I have been doing it for years--on our family cars--and more recently on bikes--and when you know just how little time it takes--you become very aware of dealers charges-- and it's cold hard fact's that some--some--over charge--if they feel they can get away with it. :devil:

Mark do not waste your hard earned money---and well done again.  :console:

Rocker66

Mark don't apologise for not having lots of money to give away--and good for you working for a charity --and some times for no pay--other members are in a totally different position than yourself--and should realize that !!!

Doing the basic serving--maintaince work is what we all should do--I have been doing it for years--on our family cars--and more recently on bikes--and when you know just how little time it takes--you become very aware of dealers charges-- and it's cold hard fact's that some--some--over charge--if they feel they can get away with it. :devil:

Mark do not waste your hard earned money---and well done again.  :console:

Well we certainly don't have a lot of money living on our pensions. As I said what free money we do have we spend on our bikes which means going without a lot of other things. Yes some dealers overcharge as do some shops and tradesmen. As I said if you think you are being overcharged just go elsewhere. As to doing ones own maintenance that's fine if you want to but some of us don't. I do the routine safety stuff of course but otherwise I'm prepared to pay somebody else to do it as I really don't enjoy it. If that means sacrificing something else so be it. At the end of the day each individual has earned their money and how they spend it is up to them and not for you me or anyone else to tell them how to do so

• Like 1
steelhorseuk

Thanks Michael. AKA Bonekicker.  Kind words. Apologise to amiga-mark et al for thread-hijacking.  My intent was just a little pun, not divert the subject.

I 'll get me coat... 

-Mark-

Guest sykospain

An impressively level-headed and informed discussion. ¡ What a great talking-shop this is !

I agree with the general consensus that a few snoojits short of 200 for a valve-check and adjust, oil & filter change plus a general check-over and maybe brake-fluid job is profiteering.  If you can't do the job yourself and are in the unfortunate position of not knowing a local non-Honda bike garage with a good reputation, whose 8K miles service stamp in your book is as valid as any Honda Motorcycles dealer's stamp for warranty purposes, then go visit another dealer somewhere else to get a more sensible price.

When I visited their premises last summer, I did not get a favourable overall impression of their business.

Rocker66

An impressively level-headed and informed discussion. ¡ What a great talking-shop this is !

I agree with the general consensus that a few snoojits short of 200 for a valve-check and adjust, oil & filter change plus a general check-over and maybe brake-fluid job is profiteering.  If you can't do the job yourself and are in the unfortunate position of not knowing a local non-Honda bike garage with a good reputation, whose 8K miles service stamp in your book is as valid as any Honda Motorcycles dealer's stamp for warranty purposes, then go visit another dealer somewhere else to get a more sensible price.

When I visited their premises last summer, I did not get a favourable overall impression of their business.

How about if you know a Honda dealer with a good reputation with reasonable prices? They are out there if you look

Guest dentonlad

Hunts seem to divide opinion. I went to look at a 125 Varadero when I was buying my 'learner' bike. Envelope stuffed full of cash, ready to buy a £3,500 bike. Despite making my interest obvious and asking to speak to someone I was studiously ignored for 20 minutes until I started walking out. "Can I help?" - "You could have done 20 minutes ago.......". Went to Rochdale Honda and it couldn't have been more different. Other people have said the same thing and complained about the attitude and work they've had done at Hunts. 

Yet I know a number of people who swear by them, great customer service, good prices, deals and trade ins etc etc. 

They strike me as being the Northern version of Dobles. I have heard similar reports about them. Great at selling you the bike, perhaps not so good at looking after you once the deal is done.

Slightly different, I am fast approaching my 32000 mile service which apparently is a big one. Anyone has any idea on a ballpark cost for this one? Going to get an LED bulb put in as well.