8000 mile service tomorrow

Guest amiga-mark

I just had 8000 mile. Cost £385

Including new did zvmx chain and sproket.

Two things were brake and clutch lever pivot were v rusty and back brake fluid was black so he did bleed that out and strip and grease lever pivots.

Better than new now!

Edited by giley
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• DaveM59

• steelhorseuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dave It is because of the word BIKE. it literally translates to "oh good lets shaft the owner".

Not the dealer I know. Don't you work to have a car and a bike and other nice things. As I said dealers are just like any other business  in that they are designed to make a profit. If you feel that o

I used to have a dealer that not only owned the shop but actually owned the trading estate that it was situated on. The bike shop was basically a hobby as was the race team he ploughed a lot of money

matt28

My one is booked for 28 May.

No oil change and no air filter change, free courtesy bike included.

DaveM59

It seems to happen quite often that people fine dealers who are brilliant at selling and front end customer service, then are let down by slow, expensive or even poor quality servicing and repairs, and in other instances the reverse, really bad customer service and sales but yet excellent quality and reasonably prices workshop. It seems to be much rarer to get both, maybe it's because one is always covering the losses on the other ?

Is there any consensus as to whether the huge car/bike solus dealerships fare better then the smaller multi or even independent dealers ?

Guest amiga-mark

I just had 8000 mile. Cost £385

Including new did zvmx chain and sproket.

Two things were brake and clutch lever pivot were v rusty and back brake fluid was black so he did bleed that out and strip and grease lever pivots.

Better than new now!

omg AT 8K?? !!!!!

Rocker66

It seems to happen quite often that people fine dealers who are brilliant at selling and front end customer service, then are let down by slow, expensive or even poor quality servicing and repairs, and in other instances the reverse, really bad customer service and sales but yet excellent quality and reasonably prices workshop. It seems to be much rarer to get both, maybe it's because one is always covering the losses on the other ?

Is there any consensus as to whether the huge car/bike solus dealerships fare better then the smaller multi or even independent dealers ?

I use a medium sized solus Honda dealer where the owner lives over shop and is almost always in the shop Both sales and service although the workshop can often be busy. They also have a good cafe where you can eat whilst waiting or take a courtousey bike. People seem to find his prices reasonable as well

Loads of people including several members of this forum ride quite long distances to use them even passing other Honda dealers to get there

Guest sykospain

Mark's £385 cost of an 8K service plus a fancy new chain and sprocket, and greasing the lever pivots plus brake-bleeding seems a lot, but when you break the cost down, it's not all that scandalous really, considering the poor chap is located in the Cheshire swamp, Neil & Christine Hamilton land.....

Don't tell me, Hunts ?

Whilst Rocker66 in deepest Ashford - name the dealer please !

Edited by sykospain
Rocker66

Mark's £385 cost of an 8K service plus a fancy new chain and sprocket, and greasing the lever pivots plus brake-bleeding seems a lot, but when you break the cost down, it's not all that scandalous really, considering the poor chap is located in the Cheshire swamp, Neil & Christine Hamilton land.....

Don't tell me, Hunts ?

Whilst Rocker66 in deepest Ashford - name the dealer please !

Kent M/Cs on the A2 Twixt Canterbury & Dover. Popular with several members on here www.kent-motorcycles.co.uk

As to Mark's service it would be interesting to see the breakdown of costs into parts and labour. A decent set of chain & sprockets is not cheap

Edited by Rocker66
Guest RAGPUD

I tried to call Hunts about four times over a period of several days to book a service - each time the phone rang out and went to answer machine. I then sent them an email and after more than two weeks I still haven't received a reply. I'll be going elsewhere.

Guest Ncmike

Well, I have just booked my nc750 dct into the much talked-about Kent M/Cyl. I bought the bike from them and whenever I've popped in for a nose around or a bacon butty in the cafe I'm recognised by name and given the time of day from anyone there. Whether it's the owner of the business or any member of the staff. It's not just me, I've seen many other customers treated in an identical way.

I've not asked the price for the 8,000 service-I didn't think it would be necessary. Not because I'm minted, I'm a retired person on a fixed income. What I am certain of, is that my bike will be cared for as if it were the mechanic's own, little things like lubricating pivots and adjusting the chain, would be done as a matter of course.

I'll let you know how it goes, but one thing I'm sure of is that I shall be picking the bike up, riding the 6 miles to the Dover docks and then the 600 miles to our home in France. There will be a number of things on my mind but one will not be my bike.

Guest dentonlad

I tried to call Hunts about four times over a period of several days to book a service - each time the phone rang out and went to answer machine. I then sent them an email and after more than two weeks I still haven't received a reply. I'll be going elsewhere.

Hi Sean,

I'd suggest Rochdale Honda as an alternative but at the moment, their workshop is shut until 8 June because the head tech Arthur has a frozen shoulder. If you can wait a bit longer give Brian in service a call (01706 657291). 

beep

Just finished doing my own 8000 miles service on my 700, including valve check. Not too complicated, the valves took maybe 2 hours (going slowly), the rest an hour or so.

The valves were all spot on, each valve measured with two different sets of feeler gauges, just to confirm that I was wasting my time :aww:. When I say spot on, I mean all clearances were in the middle of the acceptable range. Won't be checking them again 'til at least 20,000 miles. I can see why this check went up to 16,000 miles for the 750.

• Like 2
Guest RAGPUD

Hi Sean,

I'd suggest Rochdale Honda as an alternative but at the moment, their workshop is shut until 8 June because the head tech Arthur has a frozen shoulder. If you can wait a bit longer give Brian in service a call (01706 657291). 

Thanks for that Keith. I originally had the bike booked in at Rochdale but they had to cancel for the reason you mentioned, and I thought that Hunts would be a good option rather than wait.

I had it booked in for June 1st because I'll be off work and I will struggle to get it done any other time due to various commitments, but I suppose I'll just have to postpone it for now.

beep

Although it's nice to save a few hundred quid doing your own servicing, Sean highlights the real reason why I do my own - you can service it when you like.

In most cases the time spent doing the servicing is less the time spent ferrying you and your bike backwards and forwards to your "local" Honda dealer. And unlike my local dealer, I actually check how much oil is in the bike :blink: (something they get wrong most times that I've had use them, during the initial warranty period).

Edited by beep
Guest sykospain

Not every biker feels like doing the odd bit of wrenching of course.

I've had a frozen shoulder like Arthur's for months now and manage, but I'm not crawling under bikes all day in a motorbike concessionaire's garage.

Like Keith, I feel that if any rider anywhere in the NW of Blighty feels it necessary to have their precious bike worked on by a Honda dealer, the safest bet is to enjoy a fine-day tootle over to Rochdale whilst singing a few of Gracie Fields' greatest hits at the top of their voice.  They won't be wasting their journey.

[ Thinks...do younger bikers have the faintest idea who Gracie was ? ]  It's not a generation gap - it's a chasm.

As to the reputation of Hunts Burnage, don't get me started.

8000 mile service at 5680 miles.

Yip, got a call from Blackpool Honda even though I bought the bike from Preston Honda (which has now gone) and had the first service done at Wigin Honda........Anyway, I digress .

They didnt speak to me but spoke to the ball and chain and said it was due the service because it was almost 12 moths old.

Im going to ring them shortly and get more details if there are any because they told her that it will affect warranty if I dont have it done now.

ummmm, :hmm:

• Like 1
Rocker66

8000 mile service at 5680 miles.

Yip, got a call from Blackpool Honda even though I bought the bike from Preston Honda (which has now gone) and had the first service done at Wigin Honda........Anyway, I digress .

They didnt speak to me but spoke to the ball and chain and said it was due the service because it was almost 12 moths old.

Im going to ring them shortly and get more details if there are any because they told her that it will affect warranty if I dont have it done now.

ummmm, :hmm:

Does your service schedule say 8000 miles or 12 months which ever comes first. That's the norm.

Ive just rang them and they do say either 12 months or 8000 miles.

Im going to do the service myself any way, im not chucking 160 quid at them for a job I can do myself for around 60 quid.

Getting the oil from here

161092120872 on the auction site......£31.80 free delivery.

Filter from here

321232022277 on the auction site,  HF204 RC...£16.98 for two.

Just need to source the clutch filter, might have to go to the main dealer for that but should not be more than a tenner.

Rocker66

Im going to do the service myself any way, im not chucking 160 quid at them for a job I can do myself for around 60 quid.

Filter from here

Just need to source the clutch filter, might have to go to the main dealer for that but should not be more than a tenner.

Your warranty your choice

• Like 1
DaveM59

Service intervals are 8,000 or 12 months whichever comes first, so their record must show a 12 month gap.

All warranties are based on the correct maintenance schedule being observed but you do not have to use a main dealer if you have a more local preferred one as long as it's done correctly.

Warranties are a balancing act as paying top dollar for basic servicing may cost more than any repairs needed during any warranty period, it depends on what if anything goes wrong. Also your ability or desire to DIY servicing has to be considered.

beep

Filter from here

You don't pay much more than this from Halfords (Castrol oil and Champion filter). Saves the hassle of using post and Halfords often have deals on so could be even cheaper. Although post might be a good option for many.

As for warranties, had a few new/newish bikes, yet to make a claim in about 30 years. Maybe I'm luckly, or perhaps I've made my own luck by mainly buying Hondas and Suzukis :ahappy:

Edited by beep
embee

I got one the other day from a Honda dealership, cost £7+ some pennies.

Incidentally, I did a moderately thorough service before I go off on my travels (French petrol stations permitting!) including valve clearances. I had checked them at around 4k miles and they were all OK. At about 14.5k miles they were all near top limit for clearance, just about within spec but loose and all similar. All reset to mid limit. After this I thought the idle was not as stable as before so did the fabled ECU reset procedure, which seems to have returned things to how it was running before (that bit costs nothing).

Tex

Kent M/Cs on the A2 Twixt Canterbury & Dover. Popular with several members on here www.kent-motorcycles.co.uk

The cafe at Kent M/C must be pretty good. A friend was there earlier this month and Paul Hollywood (the TV chef) was having lunch..

:)

• Like 1
Rocker66

The cafe at Kent M/C must be pretty good. A friend was there earlier this month and Paul Hollywood (the TV chef) was having lunch..

:)

He is a regular. Comes on some of the Wednesday bike nights as well. nice guy providing you treat him as just another biker and not a celebrity 

Edited by Rocker66
  • Like 1
Mikdent

Mines booked in for the 8k service Saturday morning. :)

I'm busy Saturday afternoon so I'll have to wait till Sunday to get a good ride out, I think I'll grab myself a nice big slice of the A272. :) :) :)

matt28

Done my one yesterday, £128 for 8000 miles service, excluding oil and air filter change. 

Quite a lot, however would like to keep my warranty, until it's run out, then will start servicing her myself. 

• Like 1